Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Day after draft 5 thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Yeah... but if Green is a developmental guy for the 2022 season ( I’m hoping he takes the center position this year ) wouldn’t taking a proven center be what you want if your trying to win THIS year?

In other words , is the goal now setting up for 2022 and beyond or is the goal try to make one last run with Ben?

It looked to me in bringing Ben back the goal was to try and make one more run at it THIS year. If so, then take a center who can play right away. If the majority of the draft is to set up for 2022, why bring Ben back then? Just let Rudolph and Haskins battle it out to see if either is the future.
    Id never base my expectations for the current season on this year’s draft.

Any performance we get from a rookie is gravy. Gotta get your guys that make you good enough to compete via FA and prior drafts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Id never base my expectations for the current season on this year’s draft.

Any performance we get from a rookie is gravy. Gotta get your guys that make you good enough to compete via FA and prior drafts.
    I hear you ; yet, most are doing just that with the selection of Harris.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

To refresh memory, 2016 draft class: Burns, Davis, Hargrave, Hawkins, Feeney, Ayers
    Yikes... only player worth mentioning is Hargrave and somewhat Davis!

There is no way you can compare that class with this class.

Harris is a sure shot.
    Freiermuth, if it wasn't a freak of nature Pitts, would of been the #1 TE, maybe ranked better than last years #1 TE in the draft K-met. So can't complain about the value. He brings another dimension to this offense, more so than EBron does.

Green ( pick #87) and Moore, now this is where Colbert, Klemm, and Canada make their money. ( Did you notice that Myers, pick #62, got picked ahead of Humphrey pick #63. And everyone thought Myers was the 4th or 5th best center. And Meinerz got picked at #98

So again, you can't really say they reached on value. Tremble #83, Long #81.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    stop your lying, what's wrong with you?

nobody here defends the 2016 draft class, stop just making stuff up to fit your false narratives and agendas.
    You gave that draft an A.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah... but if Green is a developmental guy for the 2022 season ( Iím hoping he takes the center position this year ) wouldnít taking a proven center be what you want if your trying to win THIS year?

In other words , is the goal now setting up for 2022 and beyond or is the goal try to make one last run with Ben?

It looked to me in bringing Ben back the goal was to try and make one more run at it THIS year. If so, then take a center who can play right away. If the majority of the draft is to set up for 2022, why bring Ben back then? Just let Rudolph and Haskins battle it out to see if either is the future.
    Green should not be developmental.
    With a class so deep at oline, 4th rounders this year would be second founders in previous years.
    With our ot and c situation, these guys should start day one.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Again , I’m not knocking the selection of the TE but since this TE isn’t a great pass catcher then wouldn’t you have to assume the pick is for his blocking?
    ( and he’s suppose to be the best blocking TE in the draft)

And If so, there are a number of guys who are TE’s that can block. I’m with you in the sense that if you had a back door option of center with Green, why not go linebacker or another area of need other than TE?

Are decent blocking TE’s that hard to find?
    Do you just want a one dimensional TE?

That is old school football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    You gave that draft an A.
    and you said you loved Tomlin.

your turn again...
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Starter

User Info Menu

Here are the Pro Football Focus grades for all 32 teams.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...s-all-32-teams

Legend

User Info Menu

I hear you ; yet, most are doing just that with the selection of Harris.
    stop crying.

you once again were totally wrong about no RBs being picked in the first round.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    Here are the Pro Football Focus grades for all 32 teams.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-...s-all-32-teams
    IMO, they got it about right with their grade for the Steelers' draft.