Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: This draft is the same as always!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    and if he won ll those sub .500 games he would have a winning percentage in the .80’s which would be insane.

When I ask people to compare Billicheat and Tomlin’s winning percentage vs sub .500 teams.. they go silent.

People aren’t invested in other teams so they don’t realize most teams lose vs sub .500 teams at the same rate or worse.

basically its “if Tomlin won all the games then maybe I would give him some credit”
    I think I added the correct emphasis here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I also think that this year we put a lot of value on playing this season (not unreasonable IMO). I think that's at least part of why we picked Green over Meinerz.
    Good point. My son said to me after round three or four "do you notice what each of these picks have in common?". The answer was none had opted out.

Not sure if that is the only reason why they skipped Meinerz for Green. If the team was so set on getting the consensus best choice then they could have gone to Dickerson or Humphrey in the second. I think that the Steelers wanted Green and figured that they could skip going C in the second because he should be there in the third.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Good point. My son said to me after round three or four "do you notice what each of these picks have in common?". The answer was none had opted out.

Not sure if that is the only reason why they skipped Meinerz for Green. If the team was so set on getting the consensus best choice then they could have gone to Dickerson or Humphrey in the second. I think that the Steelers wanted Green and figured that they could skip going C in the second because he should be there in the third.
    I doubt they were specifically set on Green.

But I think it's probably true that they thought C was deeper at that point than TE.

And if they would have been OK Tremble, Green, or Meinerz, they they were probably right, since 2 of those Cs were available and the TE wasn't. Maybe Tremble falls to them if they don't pick Freiermuth, but there's no way to know.

My guess is that he doesn't. That someone else picks him and Tremble still goes before us too.

I think personally that TE was the biggest luxury pick if we were trying to do something this year. My understanding is that rookie TEs generally don't make much impact and I think a blocking TE2 could have been had on the cheap after the draft.

But I also think that 2nd year Fryer has a good chance to offer a nice security blanket for whoever is our QB next year. And that's good.

Legend

User Info Menu

The TE pick came within seconds of going on the clock. Tells me that was their guy. I don't recall how long they deliberated on Green...maybe someone can chime in that remembers the clock ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The TE pick came within seconds of going on the clock. Tells me that was their guy. I don't recall how long they deliberated on Green...maybe someone can chime in that remembers the clock ?
    I bet they brought the card in fast on Green because they always bring the card in fast.

Above I was talking about their decision process in the 2nd (when they wouldn't have known what players were available in the 3rd).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Maybe Tremble falls to them if they don't pick Freiermuth, but there's no way to know.

My guess is that he doesn't. That someone else picks him and Tremble still goes before us too.
    That assumes that the Steelers would have wanted Tremble. As we know, the Steelers do not follow the rankings of the supposed experts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

at their presser tombert pretty much said they went with guys who played last year because they had more tape to view

Legend

User Info Menu

also when they discussed the harris selection in the first. KC said they had 8 names written down in front of them.

if any of thoe guys were there left alone at #24, they were going to be the pick.

i'm thinking something similar happened with the 2nd rd pick. only thing dropping him to 55 wa his medical which i'm sure they checked out thoroughly

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    also when they discussed the harris selection in the first. KC said they had 8 names written down in front of them.

if any of thoe guys were there left alone at #24, they were going to be the pick.

i'm thinking something similar happened with the 2nd rd pick. only thing dropping him to 55 wa his medical which i'm sure they checked out thoroughly
    Wonder if Darrisaw was on that list and who would have been the pick had Minny not grabbed him.