Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: This draft is the same as always!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this is true for a lot of the decisions they make.

But it can also be a shield for bad decisions. And even well run teams like the Steelers make bad decisions.
    Everyone makes bad decisions in Hindsight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It doesnít take much intelligence to look up several of the 100 publications that have players ranked.
    And although I donít have the expertise to determine bpa, the ones putting out these list do. And even if some are nothing more than lazy boy draft evaluators, they still have more knowledge than you, the fan that blindly agrees with every move made.
    I'm going to repeat what I said earlier. How is it that Colbert continues to rank in the top 5 GMs in the league and yet you seem to think year after year he blows the draft?? Two possibilities; Tomlin must be a hell of a coach taking these lacking players and coaching 'em up to pro bowl levels. Or Colbert actually does well at what he is supposed to do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm going to repeat what I said earlier. How is it that Colbert continues to rank in the top 5 GMs in the league and yet you seem to think year after year he blows the draft?? Two possibilities; Tomlin must be a hell of a coach taking these lacking players and coaching 'em up to pro bowl levels. Or Colbert actually does well at what he is supposed to do.
    Can you show me where I said Colbert blew this draft?
    Youíve gone on some tirade against me defending Colbert/Tomlin although I never criticized a pick. I actually am on record saying I like this draft.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I always wonder if I would have made the same decision if I had all the info the team has.

IMHO, thatís the gap in knowing if criticism is fair or not. I usually will give the benefit of the doubt assuming they learned something we couldnít know or find out. Iím always interested to know what is that thing they found out that made the difference.

Im still wondering about our 5th rounder.
    I wonder as well. I've been saying that for several years now the team has put a huge premium on character. That is why once you heard about the type of person Harris is, that he would be the guy who they want. I read somewhere else that once he was still there the team knew that they would not trade back, which is why Steeler picks are in so quickly.

It would be very cool to be involved in the process of grading players, meeting with them, going our for dinner, working them out etc. I wonder if the team has some rule of thumb that if a player says or does something during the process (other than something obvious) then they remove him from consideration.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Everyone makes bad decisions in Hindsight.
    Yep.

This is why appeal to authority is a logical fallacy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Interesting perspective and I think the collective does influence/impact who gets picked. And maybe the slot picked impacts the amount of chances a guy will get to be successful so who pans out is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

But thereís always surprises and the trends/things no one sees coming except for maybe the one person who invests early and sees something no one else does.

If weíre talking about the draft, no one would have thought of Tom Brady as the GOAT just like in the market, no one would have envisioned Amazon being more than an online book store.

I think consensus doesnít make you rich or successful, it just does a good job of tracking the middle 80%. Predicting the things we all collectively understand. But consensus is the antithesis of vision and doing something new.
    I do think that one of the problems with the wisdom of the crowds is when the crowd isn't made up of individuals that came to their own conclusions.

If half the crowd only reads Kiper and thinks it's terrible and the other half only reads a positive review and thinks it's great, then we only have some echo of those two original opinions.

I think for the wisdom of the crowds to work, the crowd has to be reasonably well informed and then individuals make their own unique evaluations.

Aside: This is why I think modern day politics / elections don't work well as the wisdom of the crowds exercises they are kind of supposed to be. Too many echo chambers that let everyone choose their own truth / reality.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I wonder as well. I've been saying that for several years now the team has put a huge premium on character. That is why once you heard about the type of person Harris is, that he would be the guy who they want. I read somewhere else that once he was still there the team knew that they would not trade back, which is why Steeler picks are in so quickly.

It would be very cool to be involved in the process of grading players, meeting with them, going our for dinner, working them out etc. I wonder if the team has some rule of thumb that if a player says or does something during the process (other than something obvious) then they remove him from consideration.
    I also think that this year we put a lot of value on playing this season (not unreasonable IMO). I think that's at least part of why we picked Green over Meinerz.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm going to go with:

C) both
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is kind of like the "Tomlin loses to sum 0.500 teams too much" argument. People making that argument don't realize that given his overall record that they are actually arguing that he wins against good teams more than they would expect.

But logical consistency is a lot to ask for on the internet (I'm sure I have my own biases that shine through to others).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is kind of like the "Tomlin loses to sum 0.500 teams too much" argument. People making that argument don't realize that given his overall record that they are actually arguing that he wins against good teams more than they would expect.

But logical consistency is a lot to ask for on the internet (I'm sure I have my own biases that shine through to others).
    and if he won ll those sub .500 games he would have a winning percentage in the .80’s which would be insane.

When I ask people to compare Billicheat and Tomlin’s winning percentage vs sub .500 teams.. they go silent.

People aren’t invested in other teams so they don’t realize most teams lose vs sub .500 teams at the same rate or worse.

basically its “if Tomlin won all the games then maybe I would give him some credit”
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?