Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: This draft is the same as always!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You forgot that they will bitch and moan and complain about what the team does no matter what
    Exactly................
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

You forgot that they will bitch and moan and complain about what the team does no matter what
    Itís their job. They wake up, clock in and post negative thoughts.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No less funny how so-called fans who have never heard of a guy claim he wasn't the BPA (not a member of the Professional bowlers Association (pba)) and the team hadn't done hours of research on a player to make their decision versus a so-called fan who did none condemn a pick
    It doesnít take much intelligence to look up several of the 100 publications that have players ranked.
    And although I donít have the expertise to determine bpa, the ones putting out these list do. And even if some are nothing more than lazy boy draft evaluators, they still have more knowledge than you, the fan that blindly agrees with every move made.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I generally believe the team deserves the benefit of the doubt. I also think I'm usually supportive of the decisions the team makes (might be news to people that just joined late last season).

But these arguments sound a bit too much like a pitch from an active mutual fund manager to me.

The wisdom of the crowds is real and the market prices things better than individual expert stock pickers.

So, I'd take the team over any individual poster here. But I'd probably take the aggregate opinion of all posters here and across other forums over the team.

Not sure if the crowd on the board alone is big enough to be better than the team or not.

Hoping the team is better than my assessment of the draft though...especially round 2.. Which is more about position than player

But my experience with the draft this year also kinds of proves to me that it's probably a more enjoyable process if I don't look into players until after we pick. Then I save myself the disappointment of us going a different way than I wanted, and I wouldn't end up disliking a guy just because I wish we picked another player / position.

As always, us winning will make me feel better.
    Interesting perspective and I think the collective does influence/impact who gets picked. And maybe the slot picked impacts the amount of chances a guy will get to be successful so who pans out is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy.

But thereís always surprises and the trends/things no one sees coming except for maybe the one person who invests early and sees something no one else does.

If weíre talking about the draft, no one would have thought of Tom Brady as the GOAT just like in the market, no one would have envisioned Amazon being more than an online book store.

I think consensus doesnít make you rich or successful, it just does a good job of tracking the middle 80%. Predicting the things we all collectively understand. But consensus is the antithesis of vision and doing something new.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I generally believe the team deserves the benefit of the doubt. I also think I'm usually supportive of the decisions the team makes (might be news to people that just joined late last season).
    I agree. I know that in any given draft the team will have several misses. Every team will and there is nothing we can do but expect it. As a fan though, when they make their picks, I don't know the decision making process that goes into it. There are many picks that I would not have made, but I will go into wait and see mode before determining that I am right and they are wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I agree. I know that in any given draft the team will have several misses. Every team will and there is nothing we can do but expect it. As a fan though, when they make their picks, I don't know the decision making process that goes into it. There are many picks that I would not have made, but I will go into wait and see mode before determining that I am right and they are wrong.
    I always wonder if I would have made the same decision if I had all the info the team has.

IMHO, thatís the gap in knowing if criticism is fair or not. I usually will give the benefit of the doubt assuming they learned something we couldnít know or find out. Iím always interested to know what is that thing they found out that made the difference.

Im still wondering about our 5th rounder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    It’s their job. They wake up, clock in and post negative thoughts.
    It must be a lonely, miserable life.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I get this.

And maybe PF will be awesome.

But choosing between the 2nd best C and the 2nd best TE seems like it should have been a no brainer for us the other way.

From a need perspective for sure: guy who will presumably play every snap vs back up TE.

And maybe from a BPA perspective since the consensus seems to be that there was a much bigger drop off between the 1st and 2nd TE vs the 1st and 2nd C.

Hopefully Green and Freiermouth kick ass and this all becomes moot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I always wonder if I would have made the same decision if I had all the info the team has.

IMHO, that’s the gap in knowing if criticism is fair or not. I usually will give the benefit of the doubt assuming they learned something we couldn’t know or find out. I’m always interested to know what is that thing they found out that made the difference.

Im still wondering about our 5th rounder.
    I think this is true for a lot of the decisions they make.

But it can also be a shield for bad decisions. And even well run teams like the Steelers make bad decisions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It doesn’t take much intelligence to look up several of the 100 publications that have players ranked.
    And although I don’t have the expertise to determine bpa, the ones putting out these list do. And even if some are nothing more than lazy boy draft evaluators, they still have more knowledge than you, the fan that blindly agrees with every move made.
    It's not blindly agreeing with every pick, it's simply acknowledging that the team knows more about these prospects than you do. Reading draft grades online for a few hours does not put you on the same level as the GM.