Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendrick Green

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Agree. He is going to be a solid player
    the more I research Green the more I like him. he's going to be a perfect fit for what Canada wants to run:

Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

So, here's my take on Freirermuth and Green, one of them should be a day one starter and here's my reasoning.

In the second round, a consensus #1 or #2 center was available and the Steelers need to upgrade the position. They go against what nearly every pundit, ex-coach, prognosticator, etc. and select a TE and wait on taking a center. In the third round they take Kendrick Green and pass on Meinerz. No problem on passing Meinerz, I have no idea if he will be anything or nothing but they did pass on Humphrey for a TE. You have to think that the #1 or #2 center in the draft would start on a team needing to upgrade the position. So, the TE should be able to start day one since they passed on an almost sure fire starter at center, if not Freiermuth them Green should be able to start due to the fact that they had a starter there for the taking, if neither start then I'd have to say the Steelers may have taken the wrong guy in the second round.

Of course, saying that Humphrey would be a starter is assuming a lot but not an unreasonable assertion based on his rating and the Steeler needs.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.24 Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
    2.55 Pat Freirmuth, TE, Penn State
    3.87 Kendrick Green, G/C, Illinois
    4.128 Dan Moore Jr, OT, Texas A&M
    4.140 Buddy Johnson, ILB, Texas A&M
    5.156 Isaiahh Loudermilk, DT, Wisconsin
    6.216 Quincy Roche, LB, Miami
    7.245 Tre Norwood, CB, Oklahoma
    7.254 Pressley Harvin III, P, GA Tech

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    So, here's my take on Freirermuth and Green, one of them should be a day one starter and here's my reasoning.

In the second round, a consensus #1 or #2 center was available and the Steelers need to upgrade the position. They go against what nearly every pundit, ex-coach, prognosticator, etc. and select a TE and wait on taking a center. In the third round they take Kendrick Green and pass on Meinerz. No problem on passing Meinerz, I have no idea if he will be anything or nothing but they did pass on Humphrey for a TE. You have to think that the #1 or #2 center in the draft would start on a team needing to upgrade the position. So, the TE should be able to start day one since they passed on an almost sure fire starter at center, if not Freiermuth them Green should be able to start due to the fact that they had a starter there for the taking, if neither start then I'd have to say the Steelers may have taken the wrong guy in the second round.

Of course, saying that Humphrey would be a starter is assuming a lot but not an unreasonable assertion based on his rating and the Steeler needs.

Pappy
    My issue with this is that "starter" is not always tied to "performance".

Sometimes the coach just goes for experience...frustratingly so.

Why was Dotson (our best performing lineman) not a starter by the playoffs?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the more I research Green the more I like him. he's going to be a perfect fit for what Canada wants to run:
    same game but another analysis..."certified bully"... @6:00 talks about using his leverage against bigger guys. Check the play at 7:20...nasty dude.

Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-03-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    same game but another analysis..."certified bully"... @6:00 talks about using his leverage against bigger guys. Check the play at 7:20...nasty dude.

nice.

like someone pointed out earlier, just because I guy is rated number 1 doesn’t mean he is the best fit for our scheme.

Also doesn’t mean Colbert is never wrong, sometimes we miss but hopefully we have the next great Center in Green.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nice.

like someone pointed out earlier, just because I guy is rated number 1 doesn’t mean he is the best fit for our scheme.

Also doesn’t mean Colbert is never wrong, sometimes we miss but hopefully we have the next great Center in Green.
    Also, sometimes coaches and scouts might see something that might not be apparent to everyone else. A baseball example would be Jose Bautista. He was a journeyman utilityman with the Pirates in 2008, with a sub .250 batting average, who never had more than 16 homers in a season. The Jays saw something in him. Something missing in his swing. He came to Toronto and was able to turn his career around.

I believe that the Steelers saw something in Green and that is who they wanted. They could have had their choice of any other Center in the second round but they went with a lesser need. TE is a need, but nobody would say that it was a greater need than Center or Oline. There must have been some kind of "expert" assumed BPA better than Friermuth at one of those positions. Why would they do that? I think because they knew they could get the two linemen they wanted later. They saw who they wanted and targeted the spots that they could get them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Also, sometimes coaches and scouts might see something that might not be apparent to everyone else. A baseball example would be Jose Bautista. He was a journeyman utilityman with the Pirates in 2008, with a sub .250 batting average, who never had more than 16 homers in a season. The Jays saw something in him. Something missing in his swing. He came to Toronto and was able to turn his career around.

I believe that the Steelers saw something in Green and that is who they wanted. They could have had their choice of any other Center in the second round but they went with a lesser need. TE is a need, but nobody would say that it was a greater need than Center or Oline. There must have been some kind of "expert" assumed BPA better than Friermuth at one of those positions. Why would they do that? I think because they knew they could get the two linemen they wanted later. They saw who they wanted and targeted the spots that they could get them.
    For another Toronto centric example: The Leafs saw something in Justin Pogge that made them want to keep him over Tuukka Rask.

Sometimes the something you see is something you want to be there that isn't. That's why it's good to have a broad set of inputs. To cancel out your lying eyes.

I don't know if Green is Bautista or Pogge. Probably he's somewhere in between (hopefully MUCH closer to Bautista).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    For another Toronto centric example: The Leafs saw something in Justin Pogge that made them want to keep him over Tuukka Rask.

Sometimes the something you see is something you want to be there that isn't. That's why it's good to have a broad set of inputs. To cancel out your lying eyes.

I don't know if Green is Bautista or Pogge. Probably he's somewhere in between (hopefully MUCH closer to Bautista).
    When looking at the future, all we can go by is history. I would trust the Steelers braintrust and their track record over the Leafs from the '80s to 2010s. I often react that even though I disagree with a move, we are not led by the Browns FO of the last 20 years, and these guys know a whole lot more than I do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In our division we face some HUGE DT's. If Green can knock these dudes on the back n open some holes I'm all in. Some of those guys are much bigger and much heavier. A tall task indeed. Browns have Billings who is 328lbs, Baltimore has Justin Ellis 350lbs, Brandon Williams 336lbs n Calais Campbell at 6 8 and over 300.
    Perhaps Green can do it. Perhaps he needs to gain some weight to do it we shall see.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nice.

like someone pointed out earlier, just because I guy is rated number 1 doesnít mean he is the best fit for our scheme.

Also doesnít mean Colbert is never wrong, sometimes we miss but hopefully we have the next great Center in Green.
    Now I think Green is tough. Legit. 99% might not know why. Sometimes you see in it football. He's an Omega Psi Phi frat. The mark which can be found his left arms in the photo gives it away and last time i checked its illegal and they often mark other areas. " They " branded him with a hot iron. And thats not all, to join that frat club " They " bring guys straight of of pulp fiction for an initation week of kicking the crap out of you and treating those who want to join like a servant from the 1800's. The victims don't say or report anything if they are wise. Brutal stuff, as I heard a story. Those who make it though initiation are men you don't screw around with.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.