Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FA post draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

FA post draft

I really think that the Steelers wanted to be more active in FA; however, they did not wanted to be screwed over in the comp formula and lose the projected 3rd rounder.

After the draft the comp formula is set. So who do you think they will pick up?

I am thinking CB...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I really think that the Steelers wanted to be more active in FA; however, they did not wanted to be screwed over in the comp formula and lose the projected 3rd rounder.

I am thinking CB...
    I believe we can sign FAs after May 3rd and it won't affect the comp formula,

it all depends on what the draft yields, but I do think a veteran slot CB should be a priority.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I believe we can sign FAs after May 3rd and it won't affect the comp formula,

it all depends on what the draft yields, but I do think a veteran slot CB should be a priority.

Yeah this is what I meant after the draft, the formula is over.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am thinking CB...
    I'm hoping CB.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah this is what I meant after the draft, the formula is over.
    yeah, that's when the Steelers will go bargain shopping for whatever holes they didn't fill in the draft.

having lost two and maybe three CBs, I've gotta believe they will still need to sign a veteran CB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am thinking CB...
    Not sure we can do much outside of minimum deals without making more cap room (dead money extension for Haden?).

While it looks like we have some cap space (~$10M), my understanding is that most of that is already spoken for (getting to 53 players from 51, adding practice squad guys, room for injury replacements, etc.). Here's a post about it from the Depot.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/04/st...s-of-april-24/

They say that we're over by ~ $2.4M after all that stuf, but that we can free up about $5M by restructuring Tuitt and Boswell. That would give us about $2.5M in room (over our outstanding obligations).

So, we'd need someone (or a couple) who has a first year cap hit in that range minus the minimum salary guy they'll displace from the 53.

We can't do anything bigger than that without a move (e.g. dummy extension with Haden).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it is prudent for them to wait and see how the draft unfolds. There are always surprises in many areas. Maybe if it doesn't unfold they way they like they call Steve Nelson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I think it is prudent for them to wait and see how the draft unfolds. There are always surprises in many areas. Maybe if it doesn't unfold they way they like they call Steve Nelson.
    I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Malik Hooker from New Castle Pa is still a f/a. He's likely going to have to sign a one year 'show what he can do deal". Can he be had for under 2m .....perhaps. He's only 25. I know he's been injured but Edmunds needs to compete and if anything happened to MF we're in trouble.

Starter

User Info Menu

Obviously we’ll try to fill any holes we couldn’t fill in the draft. I think we’ll pick up one TE and maybe 2 CB in the draft, but I’d guess we’ll sign Jesse James to hold the #2 TE spot until someone beats him and a veteran CB that can play on the outside (Sutton can always move inside, many rookie CBS picked in Round 3/4 could play the slot.).

Our shopping will be done, then.