Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: How Etienne could transform this offense.

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    How Etienne could transform this offense.

    One of the weaknesses of the 2020 Steelers, aside from lousy coaching, was the lack of speed in the backfield. The Steelers must have had the slowest trio of backs in the league in 2020. An excessive amount of short passing compounded this problem by bringing the defenders closer to the line of scrimmage, giving defenders the positioning they need for a very predictable short passing attack while at the same time moving DB's up to stop a very predictable short rushing attack, which featured little outside the tackle running aside from the overused Jet Sweeps ( It is supposed to be a surprise call, not an every game call )

    Once teams adjusted to us ( Washington game, ) we were cooked. The coaches had no counters. We were predictable, slow, and Due to the OL and Ben's age, had to get rid of the football very quickly.

    One man can change all of the above. Travis Etienne. Etienne has rare acceleration and speed for the position. His acceleration from zero to max speed is rare, and his top end speed, which he can quickly reach, is too fast for all of the defensive lineman, 95% linebackers to deal with.

    They better hope to have the sideline close to them and safety help, otherwise they are getting burned on the outside. Playing against good competition, Eitenne had 55 runs in his college career of 20 yards or more, which is unheard of at his level. 55 runs of 20% of the field or more. These runs were made both inside and outside. Wow. The Steelers have not had such a player in a long, long time.

    This speed would do several things.

    1 ) Crowding the LOS, even playing for pass would be dangerous as Etienne could take a quick pitch out or counter play for a lot of yardage.

    2 ) Suddenly the off tackles runs would need to be defended. The Steelers actually have excellent WR's to block outside with Claypool and Ju-Ju, which would really open things up.

    3 ) As a pass catcher Eitenne is a good one and a dangerous one. Too fast for LB's to cover him on wheel routes or flat routes.

    Safety blanket? Ha, suddenly we have a weapon that will have the D backing off, giving Ben more time, and allowing our receiver to get deeper more often. Eitenne's best set might be the 3 WR 1 RB set. I don't don't care if I seldom use the FB or the wimpy blocking TE that we have. I say make them cover us, and stop calling plays into the teeth of their defense.

    I want the opposing defense backing off, Ben having a little more time to throw the ball, and no less than 2 game breakers on the field more often then not. Not to sell Etienne's ability to make men miss, or being hard to tackle in the open field. He does that too. That and spending two picks on the OL ( One in round 2 or 3 ) after drafting Etienne and suddenly we'll have speed and a running game in 2021. Of course it would be nice to mix in play action and screen plays with this type of speed too.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 04-25-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I will be happy with either Etienne or Harris.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

    Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    The biggest question mark to me is not either players ability, rather how to use them correctly. Although I like Harris a little better, I now think that Etienne's elite level acceleration, speed, and hands, molded by a good OC is just what the doctored ordered for this team.

    No doubt Harris can make them miss too. Etienne however doesn't need a great of OL to make waves, and has that rare speed and acceleration we need badly. I don't care if Etienne gets the ball as much as feature back should, I care about what he does with his opportunities and how he commands defenses to defense him. He can run it 12 times and catch it 6. It's the yardage and points from his efforts I value the most.

    I get tired of the he played for Alabama, but do give the nod that the Alabama OL is just a notch above everyone else. Playing RB with that QB, and that much speed at WR must be something
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    What happened to all the speed McFarland was supposed to give us?

  5. #5
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    I keep thinking how either RB will deal with defenders in the backfield.
    Last edited by crushedspirit; 04-25-2021 at 05:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    One of the weaknesses of the 2020 Steelers, aside from lousy coaching, was the lack of speed in the backfield. The Steelers must have had the slowest trio of backs in the league in 2020. An excessive amount of short passing compounded this problem by bringing the defenders closer to the line of scrimmage, giving defenders the positioning they need for a very predictable short passing attack while at the same time moving DB's up to stop a very predictable short rushing attack, which featured little outside the tackle running aside from the overused Jet Sweeps ( It is supposed to be a surprise call, not an every game call )

    Once teams adjusted to us ( Washington game, ) we were cooked. The coaches had no counters. We were predictable, slow, and Due to the OL and Ben's age, had to get rid of the football very quickly.

    One man can change all of the above. Travis Etienne. Etienne has rare acceleration and speed for the position. His acceleration from zero to max speed is rare, and his top end speed, which he can quickly reach, is too fast for all of the defensive lineman, 95% linebackers to deal with.

    They better hope to have the sideline close to them and safety help, otherwise they are getting burned on the outside. Playing against good competition, Eitenne had 55 runs in his college career of 20 yards or more, which is unheard of at his level. 55 runs of 20% of the field or more. These runs were made both inside and outside. Wow. The Steelers have not had such a player in a long, long time.

    This speed would do several things.

    1 ) Crowding the LOS, even playing for pass would be dangerous as Etienne could take a quick pitch out or counter play for a lot of yardage.

    2 ) Suddenly the off tackles runs would need to be defended. The Steelers actually have excellent WR's to block outside with Claypool and Ju-Ju, which would really open things up.

    3 ) As a pass catcher Eitenne is a good one and a dangerous one. Too fast for LB's to cover him on wheel routes or flat routes.

    Safety blanket? Ha, suddenly we have a weapon that will have the D backing off, giving Ben more time, and allowing our receiver to get deeper more often. Eitenne's best set might be the 3 WR 1 RB set. I don't don't care if I seldom use the FB or the wimpy blocking TE that we have. I say make them cover us, and stop calling plays into the teeth of their defense.

    I want the opposing defense backing off, Ben having a little more time to throw the ball, and no less than 2 game breakers on the field more often then not. Not to sell Etienne's ability to make men miss, or being hard to tackle in the open field. He does that too. That and spending two picks on the OL ( One in round 2 or 3 ) after drafting Etienne and suddenly we'll have speed and a running game in 2021. Of course it would be nice to mix in play action and screen plays with this type of speed too.
    Good post. Getting a top-flight RB -- along with better scheming/playcalling and some upgrades on the OL -- could really elevate our offense.

    Fingers crossed.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    I keep thinking how either RB will deal with defenders in the backfield.
    No doubt, we need to get more physical up front

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    What happened to all the speed McFarland was supposed to give us?
    Comparing McFarland to Etienne

    McFarland had lousy vision, next to no moves and goes down with arm tackles.

    He also showed little instincts, and was very short. Outside of that, there is little comparison between the two.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Comparing McFarland to Etienne

    McFarland had lousy vision, next to no moves and goes down with arm tackles.

    He also showed little instincts, and was very short. Outside of that, there is little comparison between the two.
    Etienne is a talent no doubt. However there is some noise Jets are looking to go RB to take pressure off their rookie qb they will likely draft at #2.
    Are you willing to give up some draft capital to jump them? Now we'd only have to go up 2 or 3 spots n that likely only costs us a 4TH.
    Just want to see how much you're willing to spend.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by crushedspirit View Post
    I keep thinking how either RB will deal with defenders in the backfield.
    I agree that this is the most important question. It's why I think the jury is still out on the guys we have.

    I think people's idea of whether we need OL or RB first depends on the question they are asking themselves.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •