Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your mocks/ pre-draft thoughts?

Legend

User Info Menu

Post your mocks/ pre-draft thoughts?

Iíve not done a mock yet, thereís just so many ways this draft could go. So, Iíll have a shot at it here.

I figure if everyone wants to put their own mocks in here, we can all go back afterwards and see how it turned out for us all...

1. Najee Harris-
    I actually feel the OL is more the direction Iíd go, but thereís a couple of things. Harris is probably the best RB in the draft. The drop off from the top 3 RBís to the rest of the pack is far more dramatic than the OT options. And Harris seems like a good guy. Switched on. On his own, heís not the answer. This has to be a pick in conjunction with OL upgrades.

2. Spencer Brown-
    I think Iíve heard three different media outlets say the same thing- Steelers love Spencer Brown. And he is exactly what the FO is talking about when they talk about being more physical up front. He could theoretically start at LT or RT, and potentially as early as Day 1. I like both Okorafor and Banner, but I canít say Iím confident either will be successes.

3. Elijah Molden-
    I was tempted to go with a Center here. But I donít think the Steelers would go back-to back-to back on the run game at the expense of the defence. CB is a need. Pierre and Denmark could very well be good enough, but there is no guarantee there either. Molden fits what the Steelers do, with strong NFL bloodlines with this player. Potentially, Molden could take the nickel spot right away.

4. Trey Hill-
    The Steelers wonít come away without a Center. Tomlin and Colbert were at Georgiaís Pro Day, and Hill is that physical presence in the middle of the line. If......if Dickerson falls into the late 3rd or early 4th, they might move up for him instead. If there are questions about Hill, Michael Menet from Penn State might be a fallback option.

4b. Tre McKinney-
    Back to back Georgia players. TE is a requirement in the Canada style offense. There is a pretty decent hole behind Ebron. He could quite easily become the #2 TE on Day 1. This equates to great value at the end of Round 4.

6. Patrick Jones II-
    Edge rushers are needed. Jones is only going to have to pick his bags up and carry them to his new locker. Good athlete, knows the city.

7. Shaka Toney-
    Backto back edge rushers because depth is awful.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's mine, see my sig

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Here's mine, see my sig
    Hey Buzz. Do you think the OL can hold up next season as it is?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I’ve not done a mock yet, there’s just so many ways this draft could go. So, I’ll have a shot at it here.

I figure if everyone wants to put their own mocks in here, we can all go back afterwards and see how it turned out for us all...

1. Najee Harris-
    I actually feel the OL is more the direction I’d go, but there’s a couple of things. Harris is probably the best RB in the draft. The drop off from the top 3 RB’s to the rest of the pack is far more dramatic than the OT options. And Harris seems like a good guy. Switched on. On his own, he’s not the answer. This has to be a pick in conjunction with OL upgrades.

2. Spencer Brown-
    I think I’ve heard three different media outlets say the same thing- Steelers love Spencer Brown. And he is exactly what the FO is talking about when they talk about being more physical up front. He could theoretically start at LT or RT, and potentially as early as Day 1. I like both Okorafor and Banner, but I can’t say I’m confident either will be successes.

3. Elijah Molden-
    I was tempted to go with a Center here. But I don’t think the Steelers would go back-to back-to back on the run game at the expense of the defence. CB is a need. Pierre and Denmark could very well be good enough, but there is no guarantee there either. Molden fits what the Steelers do, with strong NFL bloodlines with this player. Potentially, Molden could take the nickel spot right away.

4. Trey Hill-
    The Steelers won’t come away without a Center. Tomlin and Colbert were at Georgia’s Pro Day, and Hill is that physical presence in the middle of the line. If......if Dickerson falls into the late 3rd or early 4th, they might move up for him instead. If there are questions about Hill, Michael Menet from Penn State might be a fallback option.

4b. Tre McKinney-
    Back to back Georgia players. TE is a requirement in the Canada style offense. There is a pretty decent hole behind Ebron. He could quite easily become the #2 TE on Day 1. This equates to great value at the end of Round 4.

6. Patrick Jones II-
    Edge rushers are needed. Jones is only going to have to pick his bags up and carry them to his new locker. Good athlete, knows the city.

7. Shaka Toney-
    Backto back edge rushers because depth is awful.
    I'll take that

any form of the big 3 at RB followed by OL in the first 2 rounds

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey Buzz. Do you think the OL can hold up next season as it is?
    Hold up? Maybe. But if we're really serious about improving our offense, I think we need some upgrades. Starting Finney at C and Okarfor and Banner at T doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Legend

User Info Menu

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the Steelers prefer to go C in the first. Several reasons:

- No team has as rich a tradition, and therefore appreciation for the Center position
    - They go into the draft with a mandate to improve the run game
    - Neither Humphrey nor a healthy Dickerson would be considered a reach at #24
    - The stop-gap measure has never been anything more than a backup and is ideal depth at three positions

Legend

User Info Menu

2. Spencer Brown-
    I think I’ve heard three different media outlets say the same thing- Steelers love Spencer Brown. And he is exactly what the FO is talking about when they talk about being more physical up front. He could theoretically start at LT or RT, and potentially as early as Day 1. I like both Okorafor and Banner, but I can’t say I’m confident either will be successes.
    Spencer Brown is exactly the type of physical specimen the Steelers love.

dude is 6'8" tall and weighs 311 lbs. he has large hands and very long arms. ran the 40 in under 5 seconds and had an amazing 3 cone drill time of 6.96. there are DBs that don't have that good of a time.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I believe that the Steelers prefer to go C in the first. Several reasons:

- No team has as rich a tradition, and therefore appreciation for the Center position
    - They go into the draft with a mandate to improve the run game
    - Neither Humphrey nor a healthy Dickerson would be considered a reach at #24
    - The stop-gap measure has never been anything more than a backup and is ideal depth at three positions
    I like the way your thinking. makes me wish we had another first round pick to do just what you said. Here's my ideal situation:

1. Tevin Jenkins.. 6 6' 320 pounds
    An absolute beast with a bad attitude. Road grader type of tackle who's looking to block through the next guy on the next level. What's not to like?

2. Javonte Williams.. 5 10'..220 pounds
    Looking at the tape, he's a great in between the tackles runner and has great acceleration through the hole and great balance. Breaks tackles as well. Waits for his blocks (patience). Doesn't have super top end speed of his teammate (Michael Carter) but is plenty fast enough. Can catch the ball as well. Would be light years better than any runner in our RB corps.

3. Josh Myers.. 6 5' 315 pounds
    Tremendous IQ combine with a football pedigree. Excellent blocker with good size and a leader among his teammates. He's not as athletically gifted as some but he makes up for that with technique. Would be excellent in a zone blocking scheme which we are rumored to be going in.

If we could start out with those three picks and then BPA on defense, I think most would be happy with our draft haul. And as usual, were going to take a WR somewhere because that's just what Colbert does regardless. LOL
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    makes me wish we had another first round pick
    hey if we did, we could have used ALMOST all of our draft picks to move up for Trevor Lawrence and still had a 1st round pick left.
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 04-26-2021 at 01:51 AM.

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Draft week is here!

There are literally quite a few ways the Steelers could go this year but they should get a very good player in round 1 and also possible starters in rounds 2 and 3.

1.) Teven Jenkins (OT ), Oklahoma State - His stock is rising, if he's not there we still go OT, maybe Mayfield.

Wildcard 1: Wyatt Davis (OG) - Thee Ohio State University. Tomlin loves NFL pedigrees.
    Wildcard 2: Assunte Samuel, JR. - (CB) Cornerback now a priority, see pedigree, WC option 1.
    Super-duper wildcard - Landon Dickerson (C) - I strongly think we go center in one of the first 3 rounds. Face it, if not for injury history he'd be a top 15 pick. The need is there, can the Steelers look past the injury history? Put him at center with Dotson and DeCastro on either side and now you have something. Triple "D".

Najee Harris is an "older" player and the Steelers were burnt bad by Jarvis Jones and this scenario. If Harris is there in the second round the Steelers may try and "move-up" to snag or even Entienne if he also slips thru round 2. If not they go RB at the regular round 2 selection. The self life of an NFL RB is too short to invest a Round 1 pick, IMHO. Build you O-line and the offense is better both running and passing.

2.) RaMonde Stevenson (RB), Oklahoma - I think we go RB n the second round. It wouldn't surprise me if Harris or Etienne slips thru round 1 the Steelers move up in round 2 and snag one of the (ala L. Bell).

JaVonte William (RB) NC also consideration here. I think this is about the right round for the Steelers to go RB.

3.) Josh Myers , (C), Ohio State - I doubt Humphrey or Dickerson is still on the board, so we grab Myers. We will go center in one of the first 3 rounds.

4a.) Elijah Molden, (CB), Washington - All of a sudden with Layne arrest CB becomes a priority. Not sure he lasts this long but look for CB under the spotlight.

4b.) Baron Brown, (ILB), Ohio State

6a.) Tedarrell Slaton, (NT), Florida State

7a.) Quincy Roche, (OLB), Miami

7b.) Tariq Thompson, (S), San Diego State
    Last edited by Chucktownsteeler; 04-26-2021 at 10:45 AM.