Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we discuss the SB winner or 31 losers mindset?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can we discuss the SB winner or 31 losers mindset?

First off.. its weird.

Second.. I see people use the SB as a weapon for every draft pick.

“Why draft XYZ? we never won a SB when we drafted this guy or that position in the 1st or 6th round so stay away!!!”

Seriously, we should draft anyone we think can help our team win. Its extremely short sighted to use SB teams from the past to determine who you should draft in the present. Stop it

and the idea that not winning a SB means the whole year was a waste is lame too. If that is the only reason you watch football you really need to adjust expectations.

I read a post on FB in a Steeler forum where a person said Steeler fans are used to seeing 4 SB’s in a decade because of Noll and the 70’s. The 70’s.. let it go. Don’t get me wrong, it was a nice run but give it a rest. That was 40 years ago.. stop lying to yourselves. You went 25 years without a SB win. You are used to it by now.

I know these conversations and arguments will continue but I wanted to throw it out there for those who keep using the SB as a weapon against our franchise when we are tied for the most with 6.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    First off.. its weird.

“Why draft XYZ? we never won a SB when we drafted this guy or that position in the 1st or 6th round so stay away!!!”

Seriously, we should draft anyone we think can help our team win. Its extremely short sighted to use SB teams from the past to determine who you should draft in the present. Stop it

and the idea that not winning a SB means the whole year was a waste is lame too. If that is the only reason you watch football you really need to adjust expectations.

I read a post on FB in a Steeler forum where a person said Steeler fans are used to seeing 4 SB’s in a decade because of Noll and the 70’s. The 70’s.. let it go. Don’t get me wrong, it was a nice run but give it a rest. That was 40 years ago.. stop lying to yourselves. You went 25 years without a SB win. You are used to it by now.

I know these conversations and arguments will continue but I wanted to throw it out there for those who keep using the SB as a weapon against our franchise when we are tied for the most with 6.
    that's only because your expectations aren't as high as some of the "winners" we have on this board.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    First off.. its weird.

They use the argument because it is an intellectually lazy and easy argument to make. To even be in the mix for a Super Bowl you have to win in the regular season and Tomlin has one of the highest winning percentages in the league.

Yes, I'd like to see my team competing for a playoff spot every year versus playing to win one Super Bowl and vanishing into mediocrity for a decade.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    that's only because your expectations aren't as high as some of the "winners" we have on this board.
    I'd love to see how much of a "winner" they are in their lives and careers. My experience is that chronically negative people are that way because their lives suck and they feel the need to project on other things.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    They use the argument because it is an intellectually lazy and easy argument to make. To even be in the mix for a Super Bowl you have to win in the regular season and Tomlin has one of the highest winning percentages in the league.

Yes, I'd like to see my team competing for a playoff spot every year versus playing to win one Super Bowl and vanishing into mediocrity for a decade.
    exactly.. using the championship as the only metric for success is terrible.

Cowher finally got one and he was crowned king.

Yet now we need to win 2 or 3 more in the next few years or its been a total failure?
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Some people simply don't realize how difficult it is to win and make the playoffs consistently.

The organization won consistently, made the playoffs and put this organization in a position to compete for the Superbowl consistently. The reality is that's the real standard the Steelers set for this fan base.

Some fans don't realize it though.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 04-23-2021 at 12:53 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

I didn't think I would ever see my team win an NFL championship. Now that they've won some, it doesn't diminish my appreciation for how difficult it is, and I do get almost as much enjoyment out of the years when they don't win as I do from the years when they do win it.

A great banquet is a terrific thing to experience, but it's best when you're hungry and have been living on PB&J for a while. Great banquets night after night would soon lose their appeal - at least they would for me.

Imagine if Cleveland or Cincinnati were to win the Super Bowl in the next few years - I think their fans would react very differently than Steelers and Patriots fans would to having another trophy. We would certainly appreciate our next one and take advantage of all the bragging rights, but it would not be the same as it would for those who have gone through a multi-decade championship drought.

I follow football for the whole experience - the draft, the trades, the regular season, the post-season. The spectacular athletic plays by the players and the bone-headed clock-butchering screw-ups by the coaches. My enjoyment of those moments, when they occur, is neither enhanced nor reduced by the ultimate conclusion to the season, however it turns out.

I agree with the other posters in this thread that if your only measure of a successful season is whether there's a Lombardi Trophy at the end, then you may be missing out on everything being a fan of the sport has to offer.
    Last edited by tiproast; 04-23-2021 at 01:48 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Me, personally, I have to be invested in the game or I won't (can't) watch. If I know the Steelers are going to lose game after game after game because they have a depleted roster, I can't take the time to watch, too many other things that I can do with my time. I am happy that for the most part the Steelers are competitive each and every year with a chance to make the playoffs. I will say that in the recent past with the roster they had, I was disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs and wished a few changes would have been made.

Similar to Tip I enjoy everything about a season from the start (the draft) to the end (Super Bowl). I don't follow college football but I"m always interested in what positions the Steelers choose and in what rounds because I have my theories and I always like to see how I stack up against the professionals (not very well it turns out). I even enjoy the pre-season games because I like to watch the guys compete that are fighting to make a living as a football player and follow their dream. It's not great football but it is entertaining to watch young guys (or, even some veterans) trying to win a roster spot.

If the Steelers were like fireworks and won the Super Bowl one year but then fizzled and became non-competitive for a few years I doubt I would watch football for that one chance to win a Super Bowl at the risk of a string of losing seasons. So, I'm firmly in the camp of the team being competitive and falling short of the Super Bowl but with the opportunity to win the final game.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.24 Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
    2.55 Pat Freirmuth, TE, Penn State
    3.87 Kendrick Green, G/C, Illinois
    4.128 Dan Moore Jr, OT, Texas A&M
    4.140 Buddy Johnson, ILB, Texas A&M
    5.156 Isaiahh Loudermilk, DT, Wisconsin
    6.216 Quincy Roche, LB, Miami
    7.245 Tre Norwood, CB, Oklahoma
    7.254 Pressley Harvin III, P, GA Tech

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Using ‘ the not winning a super bowl makes the whole season a waste’ is an ignorant angle to use to try to make a point.
    Nobody says that.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    I didn't think I would ever see my team win an NFL championship. Now that they've won some, it doesn't diminish my appreciation for how difficult it is, and I do get almost as much enjoyment out of the years when they don't win as I do from the years when they do win it.

A great banquet is a terrific thing to experience, but it's best when you're hungry and have been living on PB&J for a while. Great banquets night after night would soon lose their appeal - at least they would for me.

Imagine if Cleveland or Cincinnati were to win the Super Bowl in the next few years - I think their fans would react very differently than Steelers and Patriots fans would to having another trophy. We would certainly appreciate our next one and take advantage of all the bragging rights, but it would not be the same as it would for those who have gone through a multi-decade championship drought.

I follow football for the whole experience - the draft, the trades, the regular season, the post-season. The spectacular athletic plays by the players and the bone-headed clock-butchering screw-ups by the coaches. My enjoyment of those moments, when they occur, is neither enhanced nor reduced by the ultimate conclusion to the season, however it turns out.

I agree with the other posters in this thread that if your only measure of a successful season is whether there's a Lombardi Trophy at the end, then you may be missing out on everything being a fan of the sport has to offer.
    great post tiproast $$$
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama