Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 252

Thread: Canada's Offense

  1. #191
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    The Matt Canada Effect On The Pittsburgh Steelers Offense (Master Moats Film Session)


  2. #192
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    so, you are disagreeing with what the coach and front office of the team decided upon for the 2021 season.
    ok. thanks for clarifying


    now if Ben plays badly tis year. that would be a pretty big mistake on the coach and FO. correct ??
    Speculating, but I think there was a good chance Roethlisberger would not be back if he didn't take a salary reduction. His salary this season is 29th in the league. This is good value for the play they may get from him. (although cap hit makes him top 10).

  3. #193
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Speculating, but I think there was a good chance Roethlisberger would not be back if he didn't take a salary reduction. His salary this season is 29th in the league. This is good value for the play they may get from him. (although cap hit makes him top 10).
    I think that the FO felt their hands were tied when their HOF QB came out and said he was willing to take a pay cut. This was discussed over and over when it first came out, but I even said then that had the offer only been to shuffle 2021 money into 2022 then the FO would/should walk away. Once it became clear that he was actually willing to take a real money cut, I believe that the FO was not ready to be the ones to push him out.

  4. #194
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Speculating, but I think there was a good chance Roethlisberger would not be back if he didn't take a salary reduction. His salary this season is 29th in the league. This is good value for the play they may get from him. (although cap hit makes him top 10).
    Rooney said as much in his interview. They wanted him back but there was no way it would happen at that salary.

    That being said.. fans who may not want a 39 year old QB back is really about age and performance and not just hate.

    most teams don’t want players who are pushing 40.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


  5. #195
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    What we know is that (1) Canada came in; (2) we did lots of motion at the beginning of the year; and (3) not so much motion at the end of the year.

    I said that if the Steelers followed the same type of arc as NC was talking about with the Pats, it suggests that Ben doesn't like motion.

    Just like how we haven't used much motion in the past suggests Ben doesn't like motion.

    And it wasn't necessary when we had AB, who didn't need trickery to get open.

    Reduction in motion throughout games and over the season shown here:
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/05/st...-motion-rates/
    I don't know what a lot of motion is compared to what not a lot of motion is.

    i do recall receiver/ RBs going in motion on plays. i think its fairly easy to remember some of them but (again) i wouldn't know what is a lot, a little, or league average

    I think your suggestion that Ben doesn't like motion is a bit strange.

    the depot says the least amount of motion ran was the playoff game. 13 times.

    how much motion are you going to run when your down 35-7 in the first few minutes of the 2nd quarter

  6. #196
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Speculating, but I think there was a good chance Roethlisberger would not be back if he didn't take a salary reduction. His salary this season is 29th in the league. This is good value for the play they may get from him. (although cap hit makes him top 10).
    I think it's true that he may not have been back without the pay cut.

    But I think that it's important to remember that the $5M pay cut is mostly about saving money on next year's cap ($4M) vs. this year's cap ($1M).

    So I think the pay cut was more about the future than the present.

  7. #197
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Pittsburgh Steelers
    2020 record: 12-4

    Situation: It's Ben Roethlisberger and everyone else, which normally wouldn't be a concern -- except that Roethlisberger is 39 years old and coming off a season in which his yards per attempt were down almost a full yard from his previous career low for a full campaign, and 10 of his 14 interceptions (playoffs included) came over his final seven games, four of them losses.

    Offensive coordinator Matt Canada: "I think in football, it is 11 men doing their job, but the quarterback is their focal point. We are going to do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it. Our job is putting every player in a position to make plays."

    Translation: "We know Ben is not the player he once was, and he's extremely sensitive to criticism that his game and his arm strength have slipped since the 2019 elbow surgery, so we have to keep him engaged by consistently stressing that he's the fuel that makes the offense go, even though rookie running back Najee Harris will be the focal point." There is a reason Canada also told the media he had a directive from ownership, the front office and coach Mike Tomlin to run the football, and that's because Roethlisberger can no longer carry an offense by himself. He has enjoyed an exceptional career that figures to land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if the veteran QB isn't real with himself that the offense no longer runs through him, it will be a long year for Canada and the Steelers.

    https://www.nfl.com/news/quarterback...ek-carr-premat

  8. #198
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Offense was practicing a ton of two TE formation with motion before the snap. Factoring in the drafting of PF, and our new commitment to run the ball, you gotta feel like we are definitely going to use a lot more of two TE formations. DJ is going to be set at the “Y” position but I’m wondering who is the starter at the “ X”? Juju is lobbying to be out there but I can’t see them moving CC from there because he’s such a mismatch.

    Not to say we’ll never go 3 wide but it doesn’t appear we will be nearly going 3 wide as much as we used to.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

  9. #199
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    2020 record: 12-4

    Situation: It's Ben Roethlisberger and everyone else, which normally wouldn't be a concern -- except that Roethlisberger is 39 years old and coming off a season in which his yards per attempt were down almost a full yard from his previous career low for a full campaign, and 10 of his 14 interceptions (playoffs included) came over his final seven games, four of them losses.

    Offensive coordinator Matt Canada: "I think in football, it is 11 men doing their job, but the quarterback is their focal point. We are going to do what Ben wants to do and how Ben wants to do it. Our job is putting every player in a position to make plays."

    Translation: "We know Ben is not the player he once was, and he's extremely sensitive to criticism that his game and his arm strength have slipped since the 2019 elbow surgery, so we have to keep him engaged by consistently stressing that he's the fuel that makes the offense go, even though rookie running back Najee Harris will be the focal point." There is a reason Canada also told the media he had a directive from ownership, the front office and coach Mike Tomlin to run the football, and that's because Roethlisberger can no longer carry an offense by himself. He has enjoyed an exceptional career that figures to land him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but if the veteran QB isn't real with himself that the offense no longer runs through him, it will be a long year for Canada and the Steelers.

    https://www.nfl.com/news/quarterback...ek-carr-premat
    Disagree with "Translation". I didn't see any evidence that Roethlisberger's arm strength was fading. In fact, he had at least a few overthrows on long passes. The other part isn't news either. Roethlisberger has always been at his best when he had a good ground game to go with the passing.

  10. #200
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Offense was practicing a ton of two TE formation with motion before the snap. Factoring in the drafting of PF, and our new commitment to run the ball, you gotta feel like we are definitely going to use a lot more of two TE formations. DJ is going to be set at the “Y” position but I’m wondering who is the starter at the “ X”? Juju is lobbying to be out there but I can’t see them moving CC from there because he’s such a mismatch.

    Not to say we’ll never go 3 wide but it doesn’t appear we will be nearly going 3 wide as much as we used to.
    I think we will have JuJu in the slot as a blocker more often this year.

    I also don’t think Pat will get a ton if snaps this year. I think RZ is where he will be utilized.

    One thing we don’t want is to tip our hand with Pat on the field strictly on running plays.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •