Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada's Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

This is encouraging. An OC that knows how to scheme against a defense's weaknesses:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kYHfLp][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2kYHfLp]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This is encouraging. An OC that knows how to scheme against a defense's weaknesses:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kYHfLp][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2kYHfLp]Capture[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/191750946@N04/]R W[/url], on Flickr
    Very happy to see this. And very hopeful that Canada's offense brings new juice and depth to our offense.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    why is the coach not demanding the QB he has chosen to start and the OC he has chosen for the job to run more play action?

if they deemed it AS an important factor, why do they fill out the RB corps with the likes of
    connor, snell, mcfarland. all 3rd day picks (connor was slated to go in the 4th/5h rounds)
    This is the stuff that upsets me and makes me question tomlins authority.
    Coaches become the scapegoat and get axed every year for allegedly not doing something Rooney or Tomlin wanted.
    A couple years ago Rooney said we need to run the ball. Why didn’t we run the ball then?
    The OC gets blamed for a crappy offensive scheme. Why was he allowed to run it all season with no accountability?
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Coaches become the scapegoat and get axed every year for allegedly not doing something Rooney or Tomlin wanted.
    A couple years ago Rooney said we need to run the ball. Why didn’t we run the ball then?
    The OC gets blamed for a crappy offensive scheme. Why was he allowed to run it all season with no accountability?
    we were 11-0 everyone was happy

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

The coaches break this stuff down. Reminds me of when they noticed that Timmons played better without the green dot. They also noticed that Bud and TJ should switch sides.

QB's are generally are more comfortable with reading defenses from shot gun than turning their backs to the defense.

There are some other reasons for a lack of play action that come to my mind.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 05-15-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The answer is out there. Ben isn't comfortable with play action. I read one article where it said Ben's yards per attempt and passer rating was better without play action vs play action.

The coaches break this stuff down. Reminds me of when they noticed that Timmons played better without the green dot. They also noticed that Bud and TJ should switch sides.

QB's are generally are more comfortable with reading defenses from shot gun than turning their backs to the defense.

That's pretty interesting. It does seem like we'd want to craft a system that's good for our players and not for "the average across the league".

Although maybe doing the latter would make it easier to find players to play in the system?

I'm hoping that Canada really does have the big impact that we're hearing about. But it is puff piece season, so I'm taking everything will a whole lot of salt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    yada yada yada yada yada...

The owners don't care

The coach doesn't care

The players don't care

Only a small group of constantly complaining fans defend the integrity of the organization because they know best
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    That's pretty interesting. It does seem like we'd want to craft a system that's good for our players and not for "the average across the league".

Although maybe doing the latter would make it easier to find players to play in the system?

I'm hoping that Canada really does have the big impact that we're hearing about. But it is puff piece season, so I'm taking everything will a whole lot of salt.
    The offensive system was designed around Ben and passing the ball. I don't believe the Oline was designed to be a run mauling type of unit during Ben's prime. The Olines skill set seemed to based on pass protection and abilty to run block using athleticism, angles, and blocking in space. Bell's patient style and vision suited the offense well.

That is probably going to change with Dotson, Green, the movement towards more youth on the Oline, Harris, and the future change at the QB position. We'll have to wait and see.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    yada yada yada yada yada...

The owners don't care

The coach doesn't care

The players don't care

Only a small group of constantly complaining fans defend the integrity of the organization because they know best
    And when fitchner was hired you got all giddy and said he was great.
    After he gets fired, you say he sucked.
    When we were throwing the ball all over the place, you loved it.
    Now the new guy says he’s gonna run the ball and all of a sudden you are supporting that and act like you wanted it all along.
    Every FA we signed is awesome, every one we didn’t, you say they suck.
    Same goes with every draft pick. Of course you never even heard of the guy we drafted but tell everyone that he was bpa and tops on the steelers draft list.
    Your yadda yadda is saturated with no football knowledge and no personal thought or insight.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The answer is out there. Ben isn't comfortable with play action. I read one article where it said Ben's yards per attempt and passer rating was better without play action vs play action.

Interesting stuff. Wonder if the small number of attempts skews this?
    Also, PA can be run from shotgun so the excuse of turning his back doesn't hold water.