Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada's Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Canada's Offense

Not sure if this was posted previously but some nice vids of Canada's offensive playbook. The playclips are free and in slo-mo so you can watch what everyone is doing. Gotta pay for the whole package though ($40).

I spent time focusing on QB and RB. The good news, there were plays that didn't require a lot of QB movement. The bad news, there were plenty of plays run from under center or were options. Just unclear how much he is going to be able to use with Roethlisberger as QB. Some of the pre-snap motion was eye-popping.
    Also tried to get a sense on which RB Canada might favor in this draft and it's a tough call. Some runs were pure power runs that might favor Harris. Others would favor a speedier back. I don't think there is a wrong answer at RB (and it's not out of the question that he thinks Snell and McFly are good enough and they won't take a RB early). Another thing that is clear, the Steelers need to upgrade this OL. Need guys that can get push! And in passing game without strong blocking I think Roethlisberger resorts to quick passing and won't wait on the longer developing plays.

enjoy; https://coachtube.com/course_lesson/...clip-20/949067

maybe yinz can see some other stuff to highlight...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

thanks for the post...

I was just thnking that RB might be seen as the biggest need and our first draft pick. BUT Canada loves to mix it up, like you said. Add in an extra game, 17 games, maybe RBC is not out of question and that is where drafting 3rd to 4th might have value.

Where as upgrading the OL might be a bigger priority.

And usually the Steelers follow their draft by what they addressed in FA as place holders.

FA>Draft
    2018-Safety from GB>Edmunds
    2019-Barron>Bush, Moncrief> DJ, Nelson> Sutton
    2020- Ebron> Claypool ( not TE but BIG RECEIVER), Wisniewski>Dotson
    2021- Finney, Haeg, Cower>?, Kilbrew>

If you notice, all OL and a hybrid safety/ILB

Keeping true to the post on Canada's offense..
    Could the draft go,
    Tackle early, Center in 2nd or 3rd, or vice versa, RB and hybrid-ILB like Deablo, Wallow in later rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    thanks for the post...

I was just thnking that RB might be seen as the biggest need and our first draft pick. BUT Canada loves to mix it up, like you said. Add in an extra game, 17 games, maybe RBC is not out of question and that is where drafting 3rd to 4th might have value.

And usually the Steelers follow their draft by what they addressed in FA as place holders.

FA>Draft

Could the draft go,
    Tackle early, Center in 2nd or 3rd, or vice versa, RB and hybrid-ILB like Deablo, Wallow in later rounds.
    Interesting observations s_g. I wouldn't be disappointed with that outcome. I am sensing more and more OL will be the pick at 24, and skill positions mid to late.

Legend

User Info Menu

thanks for the post...

FA>Draft

Could the draft go,
    Tackle early, Center in 2nd or 3rd, or vice versa, RB and hybrid-ILB like Deablo, Wallow in later rounds
    I would not be opposed to this...and I think it kind of answers the question about Werner I had in your "out of the box" thread.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Also tried to get a sense on which RB Canada might favor in this draft and it's a tough call. Some runs were pure power runs that might favor Harris. Others would favor a speedier back. I don't think there is a wrong answer at RB (and it's not out of the question that he thinks Snell and McFly are good enough and they won't take a RB early).
    Sounds like an OC who would cater his offense to the talent he has on the field. Interesting concept.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that this is because they like to address positions of need with place holders in FA. The place holders take away desperation but they don't eliminate the positions of need.

The Steelers entered the off-season with a gaping hole at Center. They signed a guy so they are not forced to do something stupid like sell the farm to grab a Center early because they have to. However, if they get to 24 and Creed Humphrey is their #1 guy then they draft him. If they love a guy like Meinerz or Myers, they can gamble that those guys will still be there in the second or third or wherever they have them pegged.

Legend

User Info Menu

I spent time focusing on QB and RB. The good news, there were plays that didn't require a lot of QB movement. The bad news, there were plenty of plays run from under center or were options. Just unclear how much he is going to be able to use with Roethlisberger as QB. Some of the pre-snap motion was eye-popping.
    Also tried to get a sense on which RB Canada might favor in this draft and it's a tough call. Some runs were pure power runs that might favor Harris. Others would favor a speedier back. I don't think there is a wrong answer at RB (and it's not out of the question that he thinks Snell and McFly are good enough and they won't take a RB early). Another thing that is clear, the Steelers need to upgrade this OL. Need guys that can get push! And in passing game without strong blocking I think Roethlisberger resorts to quick passing and won't wait on the longer developing plays.
    We also can't ignore the connection between Canada and McFarland. Canada was hired prior to the 2020 season. You have to think that the plan was to have him take over at OC once Coach Randy failed again, so I am sure that Canada had a big say on the drafting of McFarland. We were all surprised when they passed on guys like Dobbins and Dillon in the second. Instead they went with another receiver. In the third they again ignored the position. At some point we have to think that the plan all along was to get the guy who both Canada and Tomlin know very well. Shouldn't we think that he was the guy they wanted and not just the guy who happened to be there when they decided to go RB in the fourth?

He played in a Canada system in college. Canada wants the guy who he is comfortable with and who is comfortable in the system. My feeling is that they will not go Etienne in the first. He is not the same back as Baby Booger, but he is a homerun hitter with power and speed and McFarland is also a speed back but without the power. If the Steelers go back in the first I think they would prefer the more powerful Harris at the expense of Snell instead of Etienne.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    We also can't ignore the connection between Canada and McFarland. Canada was hired prior to the 2020 season. You have to think that the plan was to have him take over at OC once Coach Randy failed again, so I am sure that Canada had a big say on the drafting of McFarland. We were all surprised when they passed on guys like Dobbins and Dillon in the second. Instead they went with another receiver. In the third they again ignored the position. At some point we have to think that the plan all along was to get the guy who both Canada and Tomlin know very well. Shouldn't we think that he was the guy they wanted and not just the guy who happened to be there when they decided to go RB in the fourth?

He played in a Canada system in college. Canada wants the guy who he is comfortable with and who is comfortable in the system. My feeling is that they will not go Etienne in the first. He is not the same back as Baby Booger, but he is a homerun hitter with power and speed and McFarland is also a speed back but without the power. If the Steelers go back in the first I think they would prefer the more powerful Harris at the expense of Snell instead of Etienne.
    The more I consider the type of back that would fit what I think Canada is trying to do, the more I consider a guy like Kenneth Gainwell in the 3rd or 4th round.

There’s a risk with all of the top 3 backs. I love Najee and think he’s the special one of the 3, but at his age and given how RBs age, his football career could be over before Tom Brady’s.

I think we need to try and draft a guy that can potentially be an All Pro for the next 10 years and is a guy other teams have to game plan around.

Legend

User Info Menu

A couple of AFCN outliers here.... I think the Steelers are on the wrong side of it though. Less than 1.5 yds before contact...

Canada will need to work his magic;

Legend

User Info Menu

A couple of AFCN outliers here.... I think the Steelers are on the wrong side of it though. Less than 1.5 yds before contact...

Canada will need to work his magic;

That looks to be more strongly correlated than I would have guessed.