Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: new offense- position fit

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    new offense- position fit

    I keep reading articles that suggest this player X fits in with what the Steelers like to do on offense.

    They like run 2 TE sets.
    They like bruising backs.
    They like having a bell cow at RB.
    They love running behind Decastro.
    They like etc and etc...

    But with Canada on board, do the still like the above.

    Are they going to run more spread offense with 3-4 receivers? ( less need of TE)
    Are they moving to more RBC, would taking a 1st round RB be a waste? Take 2 RB in later rounds ( Sermon, Evans, Hill, Mitchell)
    Are they going to run more on the outside? ( Puts higher priority in solidifying our OT... Jenkins in the 1st?)

    Just some thoughts on trying to predict the draft.


  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I keep reading articles that suggest this player X fits in with what the Steelers like to do on offense.

    They like run 2 TE sets.
    They like bruising backs.
    They like having a bell cow at RB.
    They love running behind Decastro.
    They like etc and etc...

    But with Canada on board, do the still like the above.

    Are they going to run more spread offense with 3-4 receivers? ( less need of TE)
    Are they moving to more RBC, would taking a 1st round RB be a waste? Take 2 RB in later rounds ( Sermon, Evans, Hill, Mitchell)
    Are they going to run more on the outside? ( Puts higher priority in solidifying our OT... Jenkins in the 1st?)

    Just some thoughts on trying to predict the draft.
    I suspect Canada has minimal say/impact in all of this.

    It’s not like the Steelers are going to all of a sudden defer all decisions about the team to a new OC that hasn’t proven his coaching chops or system at the NFL level.

    What if we got all the guys that Canada wants abs then he fails miserably and we’re left with a bunch of guys that we’re drafted because they fit into this failed system.

    I suspect the Steelers stick to their historic trends. If there’s 2 comparable players at the pick, they’ll likely ask Canada for his input (best case for him) and we’ll end up drafting D anyway.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Good thought though. I consider how players will fit into this new Canada system which I’m mostly just guessing what it will be at this point.

    Then I revert back to great coaching adapts to maximize the talent on the team. I hope Canada is the kind of coach that doesn’t force a system, but creates the system to the strengths of the guys he has.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Yeah I understand what you mean, but if players don't fit in the sytem, what is the point of running that system? And what was the point of the biggest move they made in the offseason, moving on from ( sheesh I can't even think of his name, have that nightmare deeply hidden in my mind.) and move to Canada who wants to move us to a modern football system.


  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I’ve wondered this myself. The difference between a historical Steelers pick and a Matt Canada Offense pick don’t have to be light years apart, setting the franchise back 10 years if it doesn’t work out. For example, historically the Steelers would probably favour Najeh Harris over Ettienne. But in Canada’s more open system, Ettienne might be the better fit. If Canada goes, is Ettienne useless to all incoming co-ordinations? Doubtful. The needs of the team remain the same, OT, OC, RB, CB etc. But, I would imagine that the system that the new co-ordinator wants to use may require shifting the balance on selections slightly. OT over OC. Or faster RB over powerful RB.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

    Light up the darkness.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    i'm thinking more of a Canadian spread offense with the defense in constant Nickle or dime might bode well for a 230 lbs harris lining up in the backfield

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I keep reading articles that suggest this player X fits in with what the Steelers like to do on offense.

    They like run 2 TE sets.
    They like bruising backs.
    They like having a bell cow at RB.
    They love running behind Decastro.
    They like etc and etc...

    But with Canada on board, do the still like the above.

    Are they going to run more spread offense with 3-4 receivers? ( less need of TE)
    Are they moving to more RBC, would taking a 1st round RB be a waste? Take 2 RB in later rounds ( Sermon, Evans, Hill, Mitchell)
    Are they going to run more on the outside? ( Puts higher priority in solidifying our OT... Jenkins in the 1st?)

    Just some thoughts on trying to predict the draft.
    It's to be determined.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    YAnd what was the point of the biggest move they made in the offseason, moving on from ( sheesh I can't even think of his name, have that nightmare deeply hidden in my mind.)
    it's okay, no need to ever have his name mentioned again.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

    1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama


  9. #9
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    There is a big cloud in all this, Ben, and how much he can deliver if he has to move or heaven forbid take a direct snap then move.

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    There is a big cloud in all this, Ben, and how much he can deliver if he has to move or heaven forbid take a direct snap then move.
    Ben is already molded. He probably wouldn't perform his best with to much change.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •