Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers are locked in on 3 players at pick #24

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think it's a tough call.

In a normal timeline, the Steelers value Harris way more than Etienne I think. We like big, strong, powerful guys and he sounds like a complete RB. But like Bell, it sounds like he's going to offer consistency with less potential for explosive plays.

Etienne sounds kind of like the opposite. Probably less consistent, but more explosive.

With an iffy run blocking OL, is it better to have a guy that has a better chance to eek out a consistent gain? Or is it better to have a guy that's more likely to break one in the few plays that the OL get's it's **** together?

I think there's an argument for both.

But if we want to run a fair amount so Ben can be a game manager, I think Harris is the better pick. But I could probably be convinced otherwise.
    iffy run blocking is hopefully a one year outlook. I am most interested in what Canada wants this offense to look like in 3-5 yrs. Does he favor the run game over passing? Does he favor a quick, mobile QB that might be a little less accurate over a less mobile passing QB with high accuracy? What does he want from his TEs, a Kelce or Miller?

These are some of my burning questions...

Also, we could turn this question on RB around and ask; of the top 3 RBs in this draft, is there a wrong one to pick at #24??
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 04-22-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    why are you quoting Mr. Rooney?

you have already said he doesn't care about winning, so why would you care about his opinion on anything?

lies.. all lies.. lmao.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    iffy run blocking is hopefully a one year outlook. I am most interested in what Canada wants this offense to look like in 3-5 yrs. Does he favor the run game over passing? Does he favor a quick, mobile QB that might be a little less accurate over a less mobile passing QB with high accuracy? What does he want from his TEs, a Kelce or Miller?

These are some of my burning questions...

Also, we could turn this question on RB around and ask; of the top 3 RBs in this draft, is there a wrong one to pick at #24??
    I think that it will be interesting (if Canada stays) to see if it changes the type of player we look for. I think our prototype RB has stayed pretty similar for a while, but changing the style of the offense could warrant a change. We did have success with FWP who wasn't the typical Steelers RB.

My guess is that they will probably all be reasonably good if they stay healthy. And I think injuries are mostly random (but we increase the chances when we give guys as many touches as we gave Bell). But they're all mystery boxes, so you never know.

And if you're asking if any of the top 3 are wrong, maybe it's worth extending that other guys like Hubbard or Sermon that you should be able to get later and shore up the OL with the first couple picks.

But maybe the team is tired of taking middle round RBs since they seem to be ready to give / reduce the role for up on Snell and not really give McFarland much of a shot in year 2...at least that's my assumption if we got RB in the 1st.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The closer we get, the cloudier it seems to be getting...

Sorry for the mumble jumble post, but every time I start thinking about our draft, I just flip flop and lose sight of my main thought. Reading this post has me thinking maybe, just maybe, Jenkins fits the bill. See what I mean, here I go again flip flopping.

Positions and players are gaining steam ( TE, CB, C- Greene) and while others are influx and dropping ( T Cosmi, T Jenkins, T Radnuz, RB Williams, C Dickerson, Meyers)

Don't be shocked if Long and Tremble sneak in the 2nd before 55, and there is a rush on CB, ILB, EDGE to start the 2nd, since all those teams are going O early in the draft. Especially Miami, Jets, AZ, Atl, Jax

I am starting to think that the Steelers already have contracts in place, to FA of position of needs to sign after the comp formula expires. They don't want to lose the 3rd round comp pick from Bud.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But back to the topic, Dickerson, Harris, and Jenkins...I really wonder if these three names arise because of need and Tomlin/Colbert pro day visits. And the majority of the talents they were evaluating at the prodays visited were ILB, QBs, and just 2 RB the rest were 2nd round players. ( Georgia -CB, Penn-Freiermuth, ND-OL, OHIO ST-Sermon& Browning/ILB, Michigan- CB, LSU ? FSU-Edge?)

Just for your information, NC had pro day the same day as ND.

Yes, we need a RB. there are the top 2, then the 3rd in Williams, and then questions... Sermon, Gainswell, Carter, Stevenson.
    I was all over the younger, pro set, pass protecting J. Williams, till his measurements came out, but we all knew he wasn't the biggest or fastest back. It seems as Harris and Etienne seem to gaining more steam, back to the level when they dominated their senior years.

And J. Williams refuses to cooperate and tell the press with who he zoomed/ spoke to, while in Sermon and Gainswell each spoke to the Steeler brass.

Did you notice the yellow? Breaks from out draft trends, is it the Covid factor like last year where we drafted "older" players and skipped pro days.?

I am calling it, it is all smoke screen, they do like Harris and Etienne ( I do too), but I think they would be just as happy with a RBC this year that would welcome J.Williams, Sermon, Gainswell and Stevenson. It is a 17 game season and Canada always used RBC. Plus a trade down makes too much sense.

Yes, we need a C. There is Humphrey, and then the questions: Dickerson ( injury), Meinerez ( position change), Greene ( position change, small) Meyers ( just center, athleticism), Hill ( size, talent), Hainssey ( position change)

With the OL in flux and in process of rebuilding in the next two years. I think that they will look to draft a center, who can also play guard, perhaps replace Decastro next year. Step right up, Humphry, Meinerez, Greene, Hill, and Hainssey.

Yes, we need upgrade/competition at T.

After the top 3, is Jenkins closer to them or to the next two tiers?

Legend

User Info Menu

gotta love Landon Dickerson, if it wasn't for his injury history he would be the clear-cut #1 pick:

Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    I would be shocked if Dickerson is under consideration in round 1
    same... heck, I'm seeing him go at the end of the 2nd these days...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    same... heck, I'm seeing him go at the end of the 2nd these days...
    would you pick Dickerson in the second round assuming we didn't draft a center in the first?
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

Legend

User Info Menu

gotta love Landon Dickerson, if it wasn't for his injury history he would be the clear-cut #1 pick:

I know it's not necessarily the same thing.

But Heath wouldn't have fallen to us if he was healthy.

I personally think C is our biggest need. But I don't know much about where the value lines up in the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you are a Teven Jenkins fan, you will want to keep a close eye on the teams selecting between 19 and 22. Washington, Chicago, Indianapolis, and Tennessee all have a need at tackle, and Tennessee has shown as much interest in him as any team that could realistically land him. It will be interesting to see if the Titans try to move ahead of their division rival in an effort to secure the Oklahoma State lineman.

If you are on the Najee Harris hype train, you are keeping a close eye on Miami at pick No. 18, who Pauline said is also interested in the Alabama running back. The Jets could also take a running back, but many feel as if Travis Etienne would be a better fit for what Mike LeFleur wants to run.

As it pertains to Dickerson, I would be surprised if he was taken in the first round. Creed Humphreyís pro day numbers combined with Dickersonís injury concerns make me think that Humphrey, and potentially even Quinn Meinerz, could be taken ahead of him. The tape is fantastic, but linemen with as lengthy an injury history as his are too risky for Round 1. He may be worth the risk at 55, but taking him at 24 would seem to be a move of panic on the part of the Steelers. Center is definitely a need, but there are solid options in the middle rounds as well. At this point, I would be very surprised if the Steelers took Dickerson at 24.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-tony-pauline

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hate seeing clips like this.

1) As a Vols fan.

2) seeing a helmet fly off makes people think a guy is some type of beast.

Maybe he is a monster or maybe he just didn’t strap his helmet on properly.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?