Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers are locked in on 3 players at pick #24

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers are locked in on 3 players at pick #24

Andrew Fillipponi
    @ThePoniExpress

Per his very good sources, NFL draft guru
    @TonyPauline says on @93.7theFan the Steelers are locked in on 3 players at pick 24:

RB Najee Harris
    OT Teven Jenkins
    C Landon Dickerson

Apr 19, 2021

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/s...52763723374593
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Use Same Draft Plan Every Year, and Will Use It Again in 2021

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been drafting the same way for 20-plus years, and won't make it any different in 2021.

NOAH STRACKBEIN
    APR 19, 2021

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers tend to stay pretty consistent when working in the NFL Draft. Since Kevin Colbert's arrival in 2001, there's been a philosophy, and that plan has worked well over the last 20 years.

Even when the Steelers selected Terrell Edmunds with the 28th pick in the 2018 draft, they were sticking to their plan. Pittsburgh doesn't go into an NFL Draft looking for a certain superstar - they have positions they need to fill, and from there, they pick the best player available.

It's how Artie Burns, T.J. Watt, Chase Claypool, JuJu Smith-Schuster and almost everyone else on this roster ended up in black and gold. Whether they were the top player left on the board or not, they were the best at their position - which is what the Steelers look at.

This year won't be any different. The Steelers need a running back, left tackle, center and cornerback. Those positions NEED to be filled before the end of the draft whether they'll all start in 2021 or not.

With the 24th pick, no one knows what direction the Steelers will go because Pittsburgh doesn't even know. Colbert, Art Rooney II and Mike Tomlin don't have a name in their minds and likely won't until their picks away from their selection. But what they do know is it will be a player at one of the four positions of need.

Chances are this puts Alabama running back Najee Harris above the rest at the end of the first round. If he's still on the board at No. 24, he'll be the best player available compared to the third or fourth-best tackle left and third or fourth-best cornerback.

It won't change their approach, though. If Harris leaves, and possibly Travis Etienne as well, things get interesting. The Steelers will be picking from the middle of groups instead of having the top player from a position on the board. Which means "best player available" is now up for debate.

That's how shocking picks like Claypool happen. The Steelers knew the best player for their buck at the time was the gigantic wide receiver from Notre Dame. And so, they went with it, avoiding a running back until later in the draft and passing up on names like J.K. Dobbins.

So, when you're putting together your list of Steelers prospects, don't forget their formula. Their draft board lists positions first, then players, and when the 24th pick comes around, it'll be between four position groups before they decide who the best pick is.

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/gm-r...raft-plan-2021
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would be shocked if Dickerson is under consideration in round 1
    2021 Draft- Would love to drop down 7-10 picks and grab an extra 3rd and then use that 3rd to move up in the 2nd.

1/??) Asante Samuel-CB-FSU
    2/??) Creed Humphrey-C-OU
    3/87) Trey Sermon-RB-OSU
    4/128- Stone Forsythe-OT-Florida
    4/140) Patrick Johnson-Edge-Tulane
    6/216) Tre McKitty-TE-UGA
    7/245) Whop Philyor-WR-Indiana
    7/254) Tariq Thompson-S-SDSU

2022 Re-sign Minkah and Watt. Grab a stud LT and ILB in FA (we will have a boatload of cap room). Trade up for a QB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am starting to believe if Jenkins is there he will be the pick. We select a RB in round 2 and a center round 3 (Meyers or the kid from WW).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Really depends on what other teams do. We can’t players who are no longer available.

Hearing Najee’s name so often makes me think he will be gone right before we have a chance to take him.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Really depends on what other teams do. We can’t players who are no longer available.

Hearing Najee’s name so often makes me think he will be gone right before we have a chance to take him.
    I've seen that the Dolphins are interested in him at #18.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Dophins can get one of the 3 backs at the start of round 2. I don't think they move on him in round one. But I hope someone does. Cause that pushes a stud O-lineman down to us.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    I am starting to believe if Jenkins is there he will be the pick. We select a RB in round 2 and a center round 3 (Meyers or the kid from WW).
    Jenkins is my guy. I want an attitude changer like him on our O-line.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    and the Jets right in front of us at #23.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully he goes in one of those two spots.