Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The loss of Hilton and the release of Nelson might have Colbert picking CB early.

Starter

User Info Menu

The loss of Hilton and the release of Nelson might have Colbert picking CB early.

And that makes me nervous.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

by early you mean 4th round?

I don’t see us picking one any earlier than that.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Starter

User Info Menu

No, I mean round 2 or 3.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers' track record for drafting CBs is not that good

What kind of trade/FA options are available?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think thereís lots of possibilities on the table this year.

Could be a CB, ILB, OLB, OL, DL, RB.

The only players I donít see a possibility is S, TE, and QB. And I donít put those players on the board cause I donít see one thatís remotely a fit at 24.

So weíll probably take a TE since this is one of the first times I have not even considered one in the 1st.

Starter

User Info Menu

I think this draft has some really good CBs, and I think there are a lot of guys in rounds 3 on that can probably come in and play the slot in year one. I think it’s easier to pick a good CB when you’re looking for a slot.

I think we’re comfortable with Sutton on the outside (only his play will determine that in the long run), letting Pierre and Layne battle for time on the outside, and let a rookie and a cheap vet (who we sign after the draft) compete for the slot this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I prefer an affordable FA for the slot this year.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Steelers' track record for drafting CBs is not that good

What kind of trade/FA options are available?
    I for one am not comfortable with Sutton on the outside. They need another real outside cornerback.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think there’s lots of possibilities on the table this year.

The only players I don’t see a possibility is S, TE, and QB. And I don’t put those players on the board cause I don’t see one that’s remotely a fit at 24.

So we’ll probably take a TE since this is one of the first times I have not even considered one in the 1st.
    Yep. With so many needs, I hope we don't reach for any specific position (although I think we need OL).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think there’s lots of possibilities on the table this year.

The only players I don’t see a possibility is S, TE, and QB. And I don’t put those players on the board cause I don’t see one that’s remotely a fit at 24.

So we’ll probably take a TE since this is one of the first times I have not even considered one in the 1st.
    I don't see DL as a possibility at 24. Three starters all under contract for this year and next. Two young backups also on the roster in Davis and Buggs. Way too many needs for starters and depth to invest in DL.