Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Justin Fields falls to 15?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

What if Justin Fields falls to 15?

Should we go up and get him? I like Harris in rd1 but what if. Charlie Casserly mocks Fields to us at 24. I think Fields is a Steve Young clone. I believe he will be a franchise QB. If he falls past 15 we should go get him. I think the 49ers take him at 3. This would be an opportunity we could not pass up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not happening after yesterday's Pro Day

Plus we have too many holes to fill. Remember, this year is about making one more run with Ben for a Super Bowl. Giving up picks nullifies doing what they need to do to make possibility real.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could see us trading back to get another pick, but not moving up to #15 to get a QB. Not this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

I have seen a bit of Fields, but not enough to give a prediction on his long term future - whether he is the next Mahomes or Rosen...but.

Unless the Steelers do think he is the next Mahomes, I don't see them going QB. IMO this is a team that still believes that it can compete for a trophy this year. The losses suffered on D are mostly covered for 2021 if the team stays somewhat healthy. The leaks on the offense are pretty apparent, and if they can bring players in to fix those issues then I believe that the team feels that they can be competitive.

Of course there is the glass-half-empty approach that says the team collapsed down the stretch, the QB couldn't throw more than 5 yards downfield, and the D was torn apart in FA.

I believe that the FO is going with the glass half full approach due to Ben returning. The team was 11-0, then crushed by serious injuries and assorted unprecedented scheduling glitches. The D suffered a couple of losses, but should return to form (Hilton or Nelson replaced by Sutton, Dupree replaced by Highsmith, and a key defender returning to hopefully cancel much of the loss out. The offense could not run the ball and had serious O line problems, but if that is addressed in the draft then you now add a running game and protection to go with a talented group of receivers and you may have significantly upgraded.

Not saying either approach is better than the other, but both are valid and it only makes sense to compete in a year you bring back Ben.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LOL. No Way.... They just re-signed Dobbs. We have 4 qbs on roster now.. No more.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Not happening after yesterday's Pro Day

Plus we have too many holes to fill. Remember, this year is about making one more run with Ben for a Super Bowl. Giving up picks nullifies doing what they need to do to make possibility real.
    This.

I supposed if a guy we really think is a franchise is there, we have to take him.

But I'll be very disappointed if we take a QB and waste the first year of his cheap contract, especially since we've already piled up a bunch of dead money in what would be his second cheap year.

I would strongly prefer having a mostly clean cap to work with when we have our next rookie QB. That will give us lots of room to put a great team around him and dramatically increase our chances to compete.

Legend

User Info Menu

interesting, I'd guess he doesn't even get near pick #10

but you never know, like the rodgers situation years ago.

i would pull the trigger. that could turn out to be similiar to kc/mahomes

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not.going.to.happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chucktownsteeler View Post
    Not.going.to.happen.
    I think we can put all the "Steelers drafting a QB in Round 1" threads to bed.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    Should we go up and get him? I like Harris in rd1 but what if. Charlie Casserly mocks Fields to us at 24. I think Fields is a Steve Young clone. I believe he will be a franchise QB. If he falls past 15 we should go get him. I think the 49ers take him at 3. This would be an opportunity we could not pass up.
    He becomes a Patriot.