Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What if I told you.....RB edition

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

seriously, it shouldn’t be this hard to draft a RB when your running game is dead last and you don’t pick until 24.

Grab Harris or Etienne if they are available. I believe the drop off in RB’s is wider than the drop off in OL from 24 to 55.
    that's the general consensus, Colbert has already hinted as much.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    that's the general consensus, Colbert has already hinted as much.
    Personally, I'm on board with linemen over RB. There was a reason Ben threw the ball so quickly... AND the running game sucked. Because the o-line wasn't very good. I personally think it needs an overhaul and a couple of the guys have voluntarily left from this subpar line, leaving openings for upgrades.

Having said that

If the team went RB, I'm a Harris fan; I'd choose him over Etienne because he's good and everything, but elite at nothing. HOWEVER, I think the FO loves the game speed that Etienne displays. Think of it this way - if we think McFarland fits Canada's system, imagine what Etienne could be in that system. So, if both are on the board, I'd expect Etienne, not Harris to be the pick.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Personally, I'm on board with linemen over RB. There was a reason Ben threw the ball so quickly... AND the running game sucked. Because the o-line wasn't very good. I personally think it needs an overhaul and a couple of the guys have voluntarily left from this subpar line, leaving openings for upgrades.

Having said that

If the team went RB, I'm a Harris fan; I'd choose him over Etienne because he's good and everything, but elite at nothing. HOWEVER, I think the FO loves the game speed that Etienne displays. Think of it this way - if we think McFarland fits Canada's system, imagine what Etienne could be in that system. So, if both are on the board, I'd expect Etienne, not Harris to be the pick.
    I feel the same way about Harris vs Etienne. I like Harris more but I have a feeling the speed of Etienne is too tempting for us to pass up.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Ive looked at Stevenson and like him as a later pick abs think he looks like a guy the Steelers would like. But I see him realistically as another Benny Snell. I can see why some would love him if we pick him and he could pan out. But heís more of the same imho. I definitely donít even see him being better than a healthy JC.
    Finally scouted Stevenson - if this kid was 0.1 faster in the 40, he'd be considered a borderline first round talent. Of course, i'm sure his weed bust doesn't help his cause and is a ding on "character"

As an offensive weapon, he's pretty versatile, has good hands, can split out, has excellent vision and patience to set up his blocks. Knows when to juke, jump cut or use power.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Watched a thing on YouTube...Path to the Pro’s on Najee Harris. I wasn’t on board with him, really. But having watched it, he’s a guy I can cheer for. Seems an intelligent, thoughtful, dedicated and funny guy. I’d imagine he would interview amazingly. We know how much character plays as a factor for Tomlin and Colbert. I can only imagine they would come away impressed.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Watched a thing on YouTube...Path to the Pro’s on Najee Harris. I wasn’t on board with him, really. But having watched it, he’s a guy I can cheer for. Seems an intelligent, thoughtful, dedicated and funny guy. I’d imagine he would interview amazingly. We know how much character plays as a factor for Tomlin and Colbert. I can only imagine they would come away impressed.
    He’s a stud no doubt.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    if Najee Harris is there at #24 when we draft the Steelers are going to have a hard time passing him up.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Finally scouted Stevenson - if this kid was 0.1 faster in the 40, he'd be considered a borderline first round talent. Of course, i'm sure his weed bust doesn't help his cause and is a ding on "character"

As an offensive weapon, he's pretty versatile, has good hands, can split out, has excellent vision and patience to set up his blocks. Knows when to juke, jump cut or use power.
    Is this dude a Lev clone or what?

Smokes weed PLUS:

"He has a particular set of skills....skills just like Bell's, aquired over a long college career.

Skills that make him a nightmare for defenders like you."

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 04-24-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like what I see of Stephenson on the field, but he interviews ‘dumb’, and has that suspension history. With so much change happening to this roster over the next couple of years, leaders and quality people will be needed to develop the culture of the dressing room
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

copy and pasted from another board on a few scout's take of the top 3

Harris (1st place)
    “He may be the best back I’ve seen come out of there (Alabama),” one scout said. “He’s way better than (Josh) Jacobs. He’s bigger, stronger. This guy is better than Derrick Henry when he came out, and he’s a star. Watch him catching passes. He looks like a receiver. If I had to pick one guy to star (in this draft), he might be it. He’s the epitome of what you want.”
    “Don’t let that Alabama stuff fool you,” said a second scout. “Best offensive line. Weakest boxes because they got wideouts everywhere. They don’t run into a loaded box like a lot of these backs have to. I wouldn’t take him in the first (round).”
    “He was the No. 1 recruit in America,” a third scout said. “He got to Alabama and looked like an NFL running back his first week of practice. His best attribute might be catching the ball out in space, and nobody can get him on the ground one-on-one. He’s a 230-pound, skilled big man.”
    “He does have a little bit of ‘I’m more important,’ and that could hold him back a little bit,” said a fourth scout. “You need to stroke him a little bit. He doesn’t seem interested in pass (protection). He’s going to have to learn how to do it. But he’s got exceptional hands coming out of the backfield, and he can move in space for a big man.”
    Etienne (2nd place)
    “These days, people don’t want to take running backs in the first round,” one scout said. “But, man, I would consider him there because he is just so explosive. People will be enamored with his home-run ability and the change of pace. He can press the defense, stick his foot in the ground and haul ****.”
    “Kind-hearted, quiet, low-key guy,” a second scout said. “Has some ‘aw shucks,’ naÔve innocence to him. Doesn’t want the limelight or to step on anyone’s toes. Can be too passive. Coachable. Loves football.”
    “I’m not a fan,” said a fourth scout. “Product of the system. Everything is opened up for him.”
    “He’s more like an in-line, hard-charging type guy,” a third scout said. “I don’t think he’s a natural. This guy is, ‘Here’s the hole. Let me hit it as hard as possible.’ He’s not that nifty. He does have burst. His hands are OK. He’d be a nice rotational starter.”
    “He benefits from big-**** holes,” said a fifth scout. “They use him well in the passing game. His feet and body control, he’s kind of all over the place. He doesn’t play big.”
    Williams (3rd place)
    “Maybe he gets in the first (round),” an AFC personnel man said. “Doubtful, just because of the position, but he’s super-talented. He’s closer to Najee than people think.”
    “He’s a really good running back,” an NFL general manager said. “I don’t think he makes it past (pick) 40.”
    “Josh Jacobs is a good comparison,” said an AFC scout. “Javonte is a tough player but he’s not as violent. Josh Jacobs plays mean, like with an edge. Javonte definitely has the same level of strength and contact balance.”
    “One-cut, downhill style,” another AFC personnel man said of Williams. “He reminded me of Josh Jacobs. Physical runner. Excellent short-yardage, goal-line runner.”
    “I think he’s got a little bit of Frank Gore in him,” said one scout who at the time was working for one of the five teams that Gore played on. “Frank was 4.6 something. Similar size.”
    “He’s a ground pounder,” said one scout. “He’s going to get you 4 to 6 yards every time because he breaks tackles. People bounce off him. He’s a short, thick-hipped, thick-legged kid. He’s got surprising speed. He can get to the corner, but you have to knock ’em all down for him to turn it.”
    “He led the NCAA in broken tackles running between the tackles last year,” said a second scout. “That’s like Nick Chubb stuff. He is really assertive running in between the tackles