Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Johnson?

Starter

User Info Menu

Trade Johnson?

With a 2021 cap number of $1,167,535 and two years left to go on his contract, Johnson is a very tradable player. With Ju-Ju back, we are 4 deep at WR. This is an easy to trade young veteran the steelers can field offers for. IMO, Johnson would fetch the Steelers a 4th round pick, possibly a 3rd. Would you take that offer? I lean toward yes.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    With a 2021 cap number of $1,167,535 and two years left to go on his contract, Johnson is a very tradable player. With Ju-Ju back, we are 4 deep at WR. This is an easy to trade young veteran the steelers can field offers for. IMO, Johnson would fetch the Steelers a 4th round pick, possibly a 3rd. Would you take that offer? I lean toward yes.
    There is basically no way I do this deal.

Juju is only here for 1 year, so is Washington, and Claypool is pretty unproven. If we traded Johnson, we'd be left with only Claypool as the only playable WR under contract in 2022. That's much worse than Claypool and Johnson in 2022.

While Johnson has issues with drops, he's an excellent route runner and a great deal for his cap number for 2 seasons. Hopefully, we can coach him up to reduce the drops while maintaining the excellent YAC.

The only way I even consider this is if we embrace the tank for 2022. Then trading good players for draft capital maybe makes sense.

But I don't think you ever want to completely gut a team even during a tank (ask the Buffalo Sabers).

Johnson will probably be fairly expensive on his 2nd contract. But by that point, we'll be on to a cheap QB on a rookie deal. It's not bad to spend cap space on skill positions in that case (see KC Chiefs).

This seems like the kind of trade that people who really like draft talk propose because they get infatuated with mystery boxes who will likely not turn out to be as good as the player they are trying to trade away for magic beans.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 04-13-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

definitely a no for me.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

yea, umm...no.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Keep 'em all, a great luxury to have. Also, you never know when the injury bug might bite.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

no.. just no.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd trade him for a 3rd EASY.

I think we have a ridiculously deep pool of receivers.

I don't buy the Juju is just a number 2 receiver. I think that whole number one versus number 2 is ridiculous. I like Juju just as much as Hines for example. A top of game Hines would look like a number two if he was paired with Brown.

I think Juju, Johnson, AND Claypool will prove to be good enough to be the best receiver on a championship team.

Any of them with Washington would be a nice one two punch. A third guy would be easy to aquire.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am king of thinking outside the box, for an early third or use to trade up to get another pick in the 2nd.... very tempting.

But he is a baller.. i don't see it happening.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This draft is loaded at wr. Last year was loaded at wr. If there was ever a time where wr value is a bit down it's now. I'm a no on the trade.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was critical of Johnson through the worst of his "dropsies" spell, but he seemed to get through that, and he is our #1 receiver, the best we have at getting separation. What good is getting a 3rd round pick for him if we have to spend it (or more) to get his replacement?

Big no from me.