Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Avery Williamson hints at re-signing with the Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Avery Williamson hints at re-signing with the Steelers

Avery Williamson hints at re-signing with the Steelers

Playing half a season with the Steelers after being acquired via trade, Williamson is showing signs he will return to the Steel City.

By Dave.Schofield
    Apr 12, 2021

On Monday evening, unrestricted free agent Avery Williamson made some adjustments to his various social media platforms hinting at a return to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Williamson posted a picture of him in his Steelers uniform on Instagram with the caption “More to come..” as well as changing his cover photo on Twitter to a Steelers logo.

Williamson‘s Instagram post received a number of likes from Steelers players including T.J. Watt and Terrell Edmunds.

Traded to the Steelers at the beginning of November from the New York Jets, Williamson cost the Steelers a 2022 fifth-round draft pick while also gaining the Jets seventh-round pick next year.

Although officially on the Steelers in Week 9, Williamson did not play in Dallas and made his Steelers debut in Week 10 at Heinz Field against the Cincinnati Bengals. Williamson was eased into the lineup, but was thrust into more action as the season went on and more injuries occurred to the Steelers linebacking corps. From Week 14 to 17, Williamson started and played at least 80% of the Steelers defensive snaps. Since joining the Steelers, Williamson had 1.0 sacks, 52 tackles, two quarterback hits, and three tackles for loss.

Should Williamson land back in Pittsburgh, the need to address the inside linebacker position in the upcoming 2021 NFL draft could fall down the Steelers priority list significantly. Not joining the Steelers until after the season-ending injury to Devin Bush, the Steelers don’t know exactly what they would have with a linebacker duo of Bush and Williamson if they were to be paired on the field together.

A big question when it comes to a contract with Williamson would be duration and cost. Any numbers dealing with either at this point would be merely speculation.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...sh-2021-rumors
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

This would be a tremendous pick up.. fingers crossed. Williamson and Bush would be a real nice duo.. with Spillane thrown in for depth.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    This would be a tremendous pick up.. fingers crossed. Williamson and Bush would be a real nice duo.. with Spillane thrown in for depth.
    Having a full off season to understand the Steelers defense and his teammates could help Willamson reach his full potential in the defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy hints at changing his mock again. Thanks Avery.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Would be a good move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Uh oh... could be trouble keeping these guys straight if the Steelers end up taking this guy later in the draft (potential to replace Hilton). Maybe the Steelers grand plan to confuse the QB?

PROSPECT SUMMARY - AVERY WILLIAMS
    Avery Williams aligned at cornerback for the Boise State defense. In the passing game, while he lacks ideal NFL measurables for the outside, his skill set translates favorably as a subpackage player. He has good short-area agility and tackling ability to align inside. In the run game, he is a willing tackler, with good tackling efficiency on wide receivers. He also adds value by excelling as a special teams player both on coverage units and as a returner.

Ideal Role: Subpackage corner and special teams contributor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    This.

Resigning Williamson would basically eliminate the need at ILB IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Uh oh... could be trouble keeping these guys straight if the Steelers end up taking this guy later in the draft (potential to replace Hilton). Maybe the Steelers grand plan to confuse the QB?

PROSPECT SUMMARY - AVERY WILLIAMS
    Avery Williams aligned at cornerback for the Boise State defense. In the passing game, while he lacks ideal NFL measurables for the outside, his skill set translates favorably as a subpackage player. He has good short-area agility and tackling ability to align inside. In the run game, he is a willing tackler, with good tackling efficiency on wide receivers. He also adds value by excelling as a special teams player both on coverage units and as a returner.

Ideal Role: Subpackage corner and special teams contributor.
    You pretty much have to take this guy off the board if we resign Williamson.

Too confusing

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    You pretty much have to take this guy off the board if we resign Williamson.

Too confusing
    Sad thing is, that I am thinking, is he any better than Spillane?

I still want a ILB to bring speed and hard hitting to this D. ( Collins, Davis, Browning)

I really don't think he tilts the scale in that department.

Hope I am wrong though..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Sad thing is, that I am thinking, is he any better than Spillane?

I still want a ILB to bring speed and hard hitting to this D. ( Collins, Davis, Browning)

I really don't think he tilts the scale in that department.

Hope I am wrong though..
    I was kinda liking some of what Allen brought to the table.

I think we need more of a hybrid LB/S at ILB in today’s pass happy league.