Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Geovanni Bernard

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Geovanni Bernard

    At the risk of being one of ‘those guys’ that suggest signing every FA...

    I like Bernard as an option for this team.

    Firstly, as a cap casualty, he doesn’t effect the formula for draft compensation next season.

    Hes been used sparingly these last few seasons, so there’s enough tread on the tyres despite being 29 years old.

    He’s that slashing type RB that will suit the Canada style offense more than a brute strength guy.

    We already have 2 RB’s that offer the ‘brute strength guy’ type anyway, in Snell and Ballage.

    Bernard’s best skill? Catching the ball. You don’t think Ben will use that?

    By picking up a RB to ‘start’ in FA, it opens up the draft to go heavy on OL, CB and LB.

    I honestly do not see a single RB that is SO good that they upgrade the Steelers running game, particularly not at the expense of heavy investment on the OL. And when you start talking about 3-5th round RB’s, does anyone honestly envision them offering MORE than say, Geo Bernard would?

    My belief is, if you get the OL set, get the Defense set, you can go back to back skill offense next season- QB, RB, TE etc and develop the next Steelers offense with all the other pieces in place.

    Season 2021 is not a rebuild year. They didn’t rework Ben’s contract to rebuild. A FA RB on a 1-2 year deal, makes just as much sense as drafting a rookie that sits on the roster 4-5 years.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

    Light up the darkness.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    At the risk of being one of ‘those guys’ that suggest signing every FA...

    I like Bernard as an option for this team.

    Firstly, as a cap casualty, he doesn’t effect the formula for draft compensation next season.

    Hes been used sparingly these last few seasons, so there’s enough tread on the tyres despite being 29 years old.

    He’s that slashing type RB that will suit the Canada style offense more than a brute strength guy.

    We already have 2 RB’s that offer the ‘brute strength guy’ type anyway, in Snell and Ballage.

    Bernard’s best skill? Catching the ball. You don’t think Ben will use that?

    By picking up a RB to ‘start’ in FA, it opens up the draft to go heavy on OL, CB and LB.

    I honestly do not see a single RB that is SO good that they upgrade the Steelers running game, particularly not at the expense of heavy investment on the OL. And when you start talking about 3-5th round RB’s, does anyone honestly envision them offering MORE than say, Geo Bernard would?

    My belief is, if you get the OL set, get the Defense set, you can go back to back skill offense next season- QB, RB, TE etc and develop the next Steelers offense with all the other pieces in place.

    Season 2021 is not a rebuild year. They didn’t rework Ben’s contract to rebuild. A FA RB on a 1-2 year deal, makes just as much sense as drafting a rookie that sits on the roster 4-5 years.
    I'm liking the idea more and more, of drafting Najeh Harris in round 1 IF he is still there. Seems like the Steelers really like him. I think he can be their 3 down back and carry the load.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I'm liking the idea more and more, of drafting Najeh Harris in round 1 IF he is still there. Seems like the Steelers really like him. I think he can be their 3 down back and carry the load.
    Do you think he can carry the load behind Finney and Okorafor though?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

    Light up the darkness.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Do you think he can carry the load behind Finney and Okorafor though?
    most likely better than any RB we currently have on our roster.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

    1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama


  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    most likely better than any RB we currently have on our roster.
    But his point is if we invest in oline early they wouldn't be running behind those guys.

    Say Creed in the first and best available tackle in this deep class in the 2nd. Heck Creed is in your mock. If we trade out he will go in the first. You likely won't get him in the second.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Do you think he can carry the load behind Finney and Okorafor though?

    we need an upgrade there as much as RB.
    but let's not think just upgrading the OL will make these plodders in the backfield improve so much. we need better talent at RB too.

    there was a run jonathan taylor had in our game last year where 2 steeler defenders were closing in on him as soon as he got the handoff. he got himself out of that jam and gain positive yards. i've yet to see anyone in the steelers RB corps that can do something like that

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    we need an upgrade there as much as RB.
    but let's not think just upgrading the OL will make these plodders in the backfield improve so much. we need better talent at RB too.

    there was a run jonathan taylor had in our game last year where 2 steeler defenders were closing in on him as soon as he got the handoff. he got himself out of that jam and gain positive yards. i've yet to see anyone in the steelers RB corps that can do something like that
    @1:15

    https://www.nfl.com/videos/james-con...rd-game-week-6

    (but I get your point...too few and far between)

  8. #8
    Benchwarmer

    User Info Menu

    Need to think through the desire for OL.

    Agree needed but let's not act like a rookie OL is going to dominate. just as likely they struggle and arent better than what we had last year. Great base for the future but still major unknowns

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post
    Need to think through the desire for OL.

    Agree needed but let's not act like a rookie OL is going to dominate. just as likely they struggle and arent better than what we had last year. Great base for the future but still major unknowns
    There is no 'win now' in my opinion. So this draft should be all about the future. Defensively the AFCN is getting better. BAL is already there. CLE is getting their act together and I expect them to go heavy on defense in the draft this year. CIN is maybe a couple yrs away. Gonna have to have some stout big uglies up front on the OL to handle this division. The Steelers will not win many games scoring <20 pts.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    There is no 'win now' in my opinion. So this draft should be all about the future. Defensively the AFCN is getting better. BAL is already there. CLE is getting their act together and I expect them to go heavy on defense in the draft this year. CIN is maybe a couple yrs away. Gonna have to have some stout big uglies up front on the OL to handle this division. The Steelers will not win many games scoring <20 pts.
    Totally agree. This is exactly where I think we are at. There is no " win now". Some believe it but the reality is our immediate window is closed. Time to build for the future.

    Y
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •