Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geovanni Bernard

Legend

User Info Menu

Geovanni Bernard

At the risk of being one of ‘those guys’ that suggest signing every FA...

I like Bernard as an option for this team.

Firstly, as a cap casualty, he doesn’t effect the formula for draft compensation next season.

Hes been used sparingly these last few seasons, so there’s enough tread on the tyres despite being 29 years old.

He’s that slashing type RB that will suit the Canada style offense more than a brute strength guy.

We already have 2 RB’s that offer the ‘brute strength guy’ type anyway, in Snell and Ballage.

Bernard’s best skill? Catching the ball. You don’t think Ben will use that?

By picking up a RB to ‘start’ in FA, it opens up the draft to go heavy on OL, CB and LB.

I honestly do not see a single RB that is SO good that they upgrade the Steelers running game, particularly not at the expense of heavy investment on the OL. And when you start talking about 3-5th round RB’s, does anyone honestly envision them offering MORE than say, Geo Bernard would?

My belief is, if you get the OL set, get the Defense set, you can go back to back skill offense next season- QB, RB, TE etc and develop the next Steelers offense with all the other pieces in place.

Season 2021 is not a rebuild year. They didn’t rework Ben’s contract to rebuild. A FA RB on a 1-2 year deal, makes just as much sense as drafting a rookie that sits on the roster 4-5 years.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    At the risk of being one of ‘those guys’ that suggest signing every FA...

I like Bernard as an option for this team.

Firstly, as a cap casualty, he doesn’t effect the formula for draft compensation next season.

Hes been used sparingly these last few seasons, so there’s enough tread on the tyres despite being 29 years old.

He’s that slashing type RB that will suit the Canada style offense more than a brute strength guy.

We already have 2 RB’s that offer the ‘brute strength guy’ type anyway, in Snell and Ballage.

Bernard’s best skill? Catching the ball. You don’t think Ben will use that?

By picking up a RB to ‘start’ in FA, it opens up the draft to go heavy on OL, CB and LB.

I honestly do not see a single RB that is SO good that they upgrade the Steelers running game, particularly not at the expense of heavy investment on the OL. And when you start talking about 3-5th round RB’s, does anyone honestly envision them offering MORE than say, Geo Bernard would?

My belief is, if you get the OL set, get the Defense set, you can go back to back skill offense next season- QB, RB, TE etc and develop the next Steelers offense with all the other pieces in place.

Season 2021 is not a rebuild year. They didn’t rework Ben’s contract to rebuild. A FA RB on a 1-2 year deal, makes just as much sense as drafting a rookie that sits on the roster 4-5 years.
    I'm liking the idea more and more, of drafting Najeh Harris in round 1 IF he is still there. Seems like the Steelers really like him. I think he can be their 3 down back and carry the load.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I'm liking the idea more and more, of drafting Najeh Harris in round 1 IF he is still there. Seems like the Steelers really like him. I think he can be their 3 down back and carry the load.
    Do you think he can carry the load behind Finney and Okorafor though?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Do you think he can carry the load behind Finney and Okorafor though?
    most likely better than any RB we currently have on our roster.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    most likely better than any RB we currently have on our roster.
    But his point is if we invest in oline early they wouldn't be running behind those guys.

Say Creed in the first and best available tackle in this deep class in the 2nd. Heck Creed is in your mock. If we trade out he will go in the first. You likely won't get him in the second.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Need to think through the desire for OL.

Agree needed but let's not act like a rookie OL is going to dominate. just as likely they struggle and arent better than what we had last year. Great base for the future but still major unknowns

Legend

User Info Menu

I’ve always been a fan of Geo and think he’s a lot better than he’s ever gotten to show.

i think he’s be a good fit for what I think this Canada offense is supposed to become.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post

Agree needed but let's not act like a rookie OL is going to dominate. just as likely they struggle and arent better than what we had last year. Great base for the future but still major unknowns
    There is no 'win now' in my opinion. So this draft should be all about the future. Defensively the AFCN is getting better. BAL is already there. CLE is getting their act together and I expect them to go heavy on defense in the draft this year. CIN is maybe a couple yrs away. Gonna have to have some stout big uglies up front on the OL to handle this division. The Steelers will not win many games scoring <20 pts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mifflin View Post

I would tend to agree, except that the 1st team OL was particularly bad last season. And there are so many good options at both OT and C that could step right in. If the OL is ‘solid’ in 2021, that’s significant improvement.

Given Pouncey’s struggles last year, Creed Humphrey, Landon Dickerson, Josh Myers and possibly even Trey Hill might significantly upgrade at the worst, the run game. And that is all the while they are only scratching the surface of their overall ability.

And AV was particularly poor in the run game last season. I’d say there are 6-7 OT’s that could realistically start on Day 1, almost uncontested.

You won’t get the OL to the peak of their powers next season. But, I honestly believe we can significantly upgrade the performance even with rookies.

Light up the darkness.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am generally in favor of bolstering the line before getting a good RB.

I have always like G Bernard. Seems like a guy that always overdelivered as a backup / time share guy. Probably good in pass pro since he seems to be used in the passing game. FWIW, he was a guy that has always been on my radar late in fantasy drafts.

I think our current OL (OC and LT) are worse than our current RBs (especially if we added someone like Bernard on the cheap).