User Info Menu

Sam Darnold

Steelers reportedly interested in trading for him

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...2021-nfl-draft

I hope we don't

Legend

User Info Menu

Not gonna happen
    Darnolds salary next year for 5th year option is 18.8 million if traded before May 3rd

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Not gonna happen
    Darnolds salary next year for 5th year option is 18.8 million if traded before May 3rd
    Would yinz be upset if we trade next years' comp. 3rd rounder for Darnold.
    Can't a trade take place then finalize after May 3rd.

Starter

User Info Menu

Not gonna happen
    We have Ben signed for 2 years.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    We have Ben signed for 2 years.
    I believe this is false.

Ben's contract voids after this year.

This is it unless we sign him to another contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not gonna happen
    $18.8 million for Darnold is not unreasonable for 2022. Teddy Bridgewater is getting $18 in cash this year with a higher cap hit. That's about what you pay for a starting QB.

I'm not really sold on Darnold, but after seeing Tannehill's performance after leaving Adam Gase, I wouldn't completely write off Darnold based on his time with the Jets.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    $18.8 million for Darnold is not unreasonable for 2022. Teddy Bridgewater is getting $18 in cash this year with a higher cap hit. That's about what you pay for a starting QB.

I'm not really sold on Darnold, but after seeing Tannehill's performance after leaving Adam Gase, I wouldn't completely write off Darnold based on his time with the Jets.
    I think losing out on the massive benefit of a QB on a rookie contract aren't worth it.

You can't pay market rate for a QB that failed IMO.

I would not want to pick up a (now guaranteed) 5th year option on SD sight unseen before he's even practiced with the team*.

Without the option this makes no sense at all because he wouldn't play next season and then he'd leave.

* I'm pretty sure you have to execute the option before the offseason starts.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 04-02-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think losing out on the massive benefit of a QB on a rookie contract aren't worth it.

You can't pay market rate for a QB that failed IMO.

I would not want to pick up a (now guaranteed) 5th year option on SD sight unseen before he's even practiced with the team*.

Without the option this makes no sense at all because he wouldn't play next season and then he'd leave.

* I'm pretty sure you have to execute the option before the offseason starts.
    Still thinking about the discount Brady is playing at. Even with Roethlisberger's generous pay cut he is counting $6M more against the cap than Brady. That difference is possibility to sign two more good players like Hilton and/or Nelson.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Still thinking about the discount Brady is playing at. Even with Roethlisberger's generous pay cut he is counting $6M more against the cap than Brady. That difference is possibility to sign two more good players like Hilton and/or Nelson.
    To be fair, most of Ben's cap hit is from us kicking the can down the road.

Although if Ben was consistently playing at Brady's number, maybe we wouldn't have had to kick the can down the road.

In hind sight, the last contract for Ben (before this dummy extension) was a bad bet by the FO IMO. Although I guess you'd rather be wrong keeping a franchise QB than letting him go.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

Living in Charlotte a lot of fans and local sports media aren’t feeling good about Bridgewater. There are rumors of Carolina moving up from 8 to get their QB in the draft.

Paying $20 mill per year and still having to give up draft picks to get a QB is a bad investment. They would’ve been better off letting a back up QB play on the cheap.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?