Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac Jones tells Nick Saban what?

Starter

User Info Menu

Mac Jones tells Nick Saban what?

Wow, now I like him even more. A freshman 3rd string QB, behind Tua and Jalen Hurts, battling a 5 start QB prospect said what?

Saban is the type of coach where you don't disrespect him with smack talk, unless your dead right.

https://thespun.com/sec/alabama-crim...co-49ers-trade
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 03-28-2021 at 12:33 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hearing more talk that Jones isn't even a first rd QB but is getting dragged into all the QB hype this season. The knock? You've heard it before with others; big school QB on a great team that is not really battle tested. When they get to the NFL where every game and every throw is contested, they question whether the guy has it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great read!

I never was on "get a QB this year" bandwagon, but man, he is hard not to keep coming back to in those what if scenarios, or how can we, or what if he falls.

As we get closer to the draft, and things are starting to settle. I am starting to think maybe there isn't a clear cut position we draft first. I am acutally thinking after FA ends we might be in a position where we can draft a luxury pick first and go from there. Honestly, it would not kill me if we go QB, S, and OLB in the first round.

But I like this dude, would you trade next years 1st to move up to the top 10? Would you offer 2 number ones to gain a 2nd 1st rounder this year, the Miami's or Jet's 2nd 1st round draft pick , and start the dealing there? We keep at least one 1st rounder this year. So tempting. Next year we are going to be so cap friendly, and have so many comp picks it might not make a difference having no #1.

Joe now you have my head spinning of the possibilities.
    Last edited by steeler_george; 03-28-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I hearing more talk that Jones isn't even a first rd QB but is getting dragged into all the QB hype this season. The knock? You've heard it before with others; big school QB on a great team that is not really battle tested. When they get to the NFL where every game and every throw is contested, they question whether the guy has it.
    Who questions? Any names? Jones did it vs. the toughest schedule in football, then showed up at the senior bowl proving to be the best QB on the field, then had a pro day workout designed specifically to show the scouts throws and movement they might think he could not shine in, doing it with his his 2nd string receivers! Is there any other way he could be more battle tested? Remember he ripped up the Alabama defense in practice too.

Lawerence and Fields played a top school too. Do they get the same knock? And Jones by the numbers is better than either. Lance was a one year wonder playing extremely weak competition, and Wilson who played at BYU is a 1 year wonder as well.

Its funny to me that Jones showed decent pocket mobility and ran his 40. ( 4.68 ) Meanwhile Lawerence, Wilson, Fields and Lance did not run any 40's. Hmmmm... if you really want a mobile QB, you better run a 4.5, fast enough to get by any rush end or beat a LB to the sideline, and outrun some DB's for extra yardage. Yet these " mobile " QB's did not show us anything. Are they just 4.6-4.7 guys? If you have speed, you show it. I'm more than sure each guys has run private 40's and knows there range of times. My guess is Fields might run a 4.55.

The NFL is evolving, lately it's very big and fast linebackers running 4.4's who will eventually be spying " mobile QB's " and you don't want to be hit by them. Well maybe if your built like a Cam Newton and have his physicality of his youth you can take a few risks. Just wait for it, these types of players are coming out in greater numbers. It's coming. Tampa Bay is ahead of the curve. The NFL is still a copycat league to an extent.

A sample of Jones work out vs. a few other QB's who were 1st round picks.

Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 03-28-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is the guy I wanted even before reading this.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Who questions? Any names? Jones did it vs. the toughest schedule in football, then showed up at the senior bowl proving to be the best QB on the field, then had a pro day workout designed specifically to show the scouts throws and movement they might think he could not shine in, doing it with his his 2nd string receivers! Is there any other way he could be more battle tested? Remember he ripped up the Alabama defense in practice too.

Lawerence and Fields played a top school too. Do they get the same knock? And Jones by the numbers is better than either. Lance was a one year wonder playing extremely weak competition, and Wilson who played at BYU is a 1 year wonder as well.

Its funny to me that Jones showed decent pocket mobility and ran his 40. ( 4.68 ) Meanwhile Lawerence, Wilson, Fields and Lance did not. Hmmmm... if you really want a mobile QB, you better run a 4.5, fast enough to get by any rush end or beat a LB to the sideline, and outrun some DB's for extra yardage. Yet these " mobile " QB's did not show us anything. Are they just 4.6-4.7 guys? I'm more than sure each guys has run private 40's and knows there range of times. My guess is Fields might run a 4.55.

The NFL is evolving, lately it's very big and fast linebackers running 4.4's who will eventually be spying " mobile QB's " and you don't want to be hit by them. Well maybe if your built like a Cam Newton and have his physicality if his youth you can take a few risks. Just wait for it, these types of players are coming out in greater numbers. It's coming. Tampa Bay is ahead of the curve. The NFL is still a copycat league to an extent.

A sample of Jones work out vs. a few other QB's who were 1st round picks.
    https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...ecutives-scout

Mac Jones
    Alabama ∑ Age 22
    How much better can he get? Scouts say Jones, 22, may have the highest floor of the top QBs, in large part because of his off-the-charts football IQ.
    But his physical traits fall short of the others, which gives some evaluators pause about taking him in Round 1. "Mac Jones, to me, is kind of the opposite of (Justin) Fields, where he has that stuff in terms of the anticipation and the accuracy and reading the defenses," an AFC executive said. "Where [Jones] comes up short is I don't think the talent level is there, from either an arm-strength standpoint or an athleticism standpoint." It's not a disqualifying lack of talent -- it's just a question of whether Jones can develop into a solid starting QB or eventually settles in as a borderline starter/good backup. He played with big-time talent around him and his offensive line was so good he threw from a lot of clean pockets, where his shortcomings were less likely to be exposed. "He's not in that same conversation with the other guys," an AFC scout said. "He's going to distribute the ball for you. I think he makes (good) decisions. (But) what level of athlete is he? What can he do mobility-wise? I don't think he's got the arm talent that those upper-level guys have. But I think he's probably just as sharp, maybe a little bit more than those guys mentally."

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

This!!!

Tua was supposed to be all world and he is all average in the NFL.

Jones will be the same. QBs from powerhouse teams with over match talent at every position are to be avoided

Starter

User Info Menu

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...ecutives-scout

Mac Jones
    Alabama ∑ Age 22
    How much better can he get? Scouts say Jones, 22, may have the highest floor of the top QBs, in large part because of his off-the-charts football IQ.
    But his physical traits fall short of the others, which gives some evaluators pause about taking him in Round 1. "Mac Jones, to me, is kind of the opposite of (Justin) Fields, where he has that stuff in terms of the anticipation and the accuracy and reading the defenses," an AFC executive said. "Where [Jones] comes up short is I don't think the talent level is there, from either an arm-strength standpoint or an athleticism standpoint." It's not a disqualifying lack of talent -- it's just a question of whether Jones can develop into a solid starting QB or eventually settles in as a borderline starter/good backup. He played with big-time talent around him and his offensive line was so good he threw from a lot of clean pockets, where his shortcomings were less likely to be exposed. "He's not in that same conversation with the other guys," an AFC scout said. "He's going to distribute the ball for you. I think he makes (good) decisions. (But) what level of athlete is he? What can he do mobility-wise? I don't think he's got the arm talent that those upper-level guys have. But I think he's probably just as sharp, maybe a little bit more than those guys mentally."
    https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/03/25/...nfl-prospects/

Fair, but I just posted a link showing he's a better athlete than several recent 1st round picks. Your report is from an NFL who not naming any sources. I guess the NFL wants to see him roll to his left and drill a deep out pass to his right. While his deep passes lack some MPH, he sees it develop faster than most, and delvers in on the money in stride lowing for an easy catch an era RAC more often than not with good range at 50+ yards. I'll take that over an elite arm with a QB who doesn't recognize his man open as quickly as he should, lacks some accuracy, but ha a cannon for an arm.

Those who are knocking him physically better measure up. Jones has near 10" hands and runs and moves way better than they are trying to pigeon hole him.

If someone asked me to name the four best QB's in football for the past decade, I'd say Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers. Brady and Brees did not win with a top arm. Actually I don't think one of these guys ran a faster 40, 2 were smaller, and none were as smart. Saban called Jones a worker, an underrated and hard skill to measure.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

anyone who watches Bama knew this to be true. Saban looks crazed even when they are up by 50 with 3 seconds left on the clock.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This happens every year. I think Jones will go in the first but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he slid to the end of the first or went in the second.

There is always this overhype that happens with QB’s before the draft. Usually its a QB from Mixzou tho.. lol. Seems like every 5 years a QB from Mizzou works his name into first round rumors due to draft heads like Kiper talking them up. They never work out either.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?