Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers terminate contract of Steven Nelson

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers terminate contract of Steven Nelson

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow. I guess nobody bit... I was certain they'd get SOMETHING out of him...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Steven Nelson tweets his way out as Steelers release veteran cornerback

BRIAN BATKO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    MAR 23, 2021

Mike Tomlin once famously said the Steelers want volunteers, not hostages. And about 40 minutes after starting cornerback Steven Nelson tweeted that the Steelers were holding him hostage, the team terminated his contract.

The Steelers announced the move Tuesday afternoon, four days after they gave Nelson permission to seek a trade. Itís a bit of a strange ending to Nelsonís tenure with the Steelers, who signed him to one of the largest free-agent deals in franchise history two years ago, then apparently decided to move on after two seasons.

ďMaking a public announcement is a little out of my character, but you guys made your decision please donít hold me hostage #dontholdmeback,Ē Nelson posted Tuesday.

Terminating Nelsonís contract means the Steelers save $8.25 million on their salary cap in 2021 but incur a dead money charge of $6.17 million, according to overthecap.com. Joe Haden remains from the starting cornerback duo that seemed to stabilize a secondary that went through a revolving door of cornerbacks over the previous several seasons.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202103230148

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He really wanted to get away from us that bad? Is it ( the environment) that bad?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    He really wanted to get away from us that bad? Is it ( the environment) that bad?
    I don't think that was the reason.

what I believe happened is the Steelers approached Nelson about a restructure/pay cut and Nelson and his agent refused.

and when Nelson tweeted that we were holding him hostage, the Steelers wasted no time releasing him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I don't think that was the reason.

what I believe happened is the Steelers approached Nelson about a restructure/pay cut and Nelson and his agent refused.

and when Nelson tweeted that we were holding him hostage, the Steelers wasted no time releasing him.
    a restructure doesn’t cut pay right?
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    a restructure doesn’t cut pay right?
    Ben restructured his contract and took a $5 million pay cut.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Sounds like we told him that he wasn't going to be on the team this year so he asked that we release him so that he didn't get squeezed in the UFA market.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not getting anything out of Nelson is a big-time fail on the part of the Steelers' FO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Feels like Mike Tomlin and Co should have held him hostage for a bit longer. At least until we got something.

Wonder why the sudden urgency today???