Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Results 241 to 250 of 250

Thread: Steven Nelson wants out

  1. #241
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    that's very possible, it's just that guys like Malcolm Butler and Kyle Fuller were signed quickly.

    I'm sure Nelson will find a home, I'm going to be very curious what he ultimately signs for though.
    It's not a bad thing to have a high opinion of yourself but sometimes that opinion can cost you a job or money. I think his agent may have screwed him by pushing on the Steelers.

  2. #242
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's not a bad thing to have a high opinion of yourself but sometimes that opinion can cost you a job or money. I think his agent may have screwed him by pushing on the Steelers.
    I don’t think his agent screwed him on this.

    Asking for a raise or extension in the last year shouldn’t lead to an immediate release or trade option.

    I think he was gone regardless due to his cap hit this year.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  3. #243
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don’t think his agent screwed him on this.

    Asking for a raise or extension in the last year shouldn’t lead to an immediate release or trade option.

    I think he was gone regardless due to his cap hit this year.
    It would if your employer doesn't think you're worth it. Happened at my workplace. Colleague went to the boss and said he wanted a raise and was offered X by another company. He was escorted out within an hour.

  4. #244
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don’t think his agent screwed him on this.

    Asking for a raise or extension in the last year shouldn’t lead to an immediate release or trade option.

    I think he was gone regardless due to his cap hit this year.
    Correct. That said:

    If we thought he was WORTH his cap hit and he would have EASILY got an extension to secure him long term.

  5. #245
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Correct. That said:

    If we thought he was WORTH his cap hit and he would have EASILY got an extension to secure him long term.
    maybe.. but the cap going down due to covid really put pressure on teams to make some hard decisions.

    could be that we just simply couldn’t afford that cap hit regardless of what we thought of him.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  6. #246
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Correct. That said:

    If we thought he was WORTH his cap hit and he would have EASILY got an extension to secure him long term.
    And I think we would have offered him a dummy extension to lower his cap hit if we didn't sign Juju.

    But we didn't want to do that since we've already stacked up a more-than-Ben-this-year amount of dead money for next year.

  7. #247
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It would if your employer doesn't think you're worth it. Happened at my workplace. Colleague went to the boss and said he wanted a raise and was offered X by another company. He was escorted out within an hour.
    That sounds like your company either has a non compete clause or just really hated the guy. I hope the other offer was legit.

    I asked my former employer for a raise. He said no.. well, he actually said lets wait 90 days. I invested in myself, found another gig and now I make twice as much.

    He begged me to reconsider.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  8. #248
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    And I think we would have offered him a dummy extension to lower his cap hit if we didn't sign Juju.

    But we didn't want to do that since we've already stacked up a more-than-Ben-this-year amount of dead money for next year.
    some people believe JuJu had nothing to do with Nelson leaving but a limited cap makes it so every signing impacts a player who counts a chunk against the cap.

    We kicked a lot of cans down the road these last few years.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  9. #249
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    some people believe JuJu had nothing to do with Nelson leaving but a limited cap makes it so every signing impacts a player who counts a chunk against the cap.

    We kicked a lot of cans down the road these last few years.
    I don't think we'll ever know what actually happened.

    The timing doesn't seem coincidental to me. But I certainly could be wrong.

  10. #250
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Colbert said they wanted to keep Nelson but the cap made for some tough decisions.

    In Steve Nelson’s case, Steve was a valuable player for us,” Colbert said. “However, we had to make some tough salary cap related decisions that I mentioned earlier. Steve Nelson is a starter-capable NFL corner. We just couldn’t keep him under the current setup that we had or the current setup that we’re dealing with from a salary cap standpoint, and we had to make some tough choices.”
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •