Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clemson RB Travis Etienne Believes He'd Be A ‘Perfect Fit’ In Matt Canada’s Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Clemson RB Travis Etienne Believes He'd Be A ‘Perfect Fit’ In Matt Canada’s Offense

Clemson RB Travis Etienne Believes He Would Be A ‘Perfect Fit’ In Matt Canada’s Offense

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on March 11, 2021

Clemson held their 2021 pro day on Thursday and the Pittsburgh Steelers had some big names in attendance to observe it in general manager Kevin Colbert, head coach Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Matt Canada. One of the main attractions on Thursday was Clemson running back Travis Etienne and he certainly received a lot of attention from the Steelers known trio that was in attendance.

During his post pro day Zoom session, Etienne was asked about receiving visible attention from the Steelers earlier on Thursday and specifically, how he thinks his overall versatility as a running back would allow him to fit into an offense run by Canada.

“I feel like it would be a perfect fit,” Etienne said. “I feel like he would definitely use me in ways to just give me those mismatches, those one-on-ones that I definitely feel confident in winning. So, I feel like it would be great. I mean, he’s going to get me out there to be put in positions to make plays and that’s when I do what I do, just go out there and play football.”

Interesting enough, Canada already knew quite a bit about Etienne before the Clemson pro day. In fact, when Canada was at LSU, he attempted to recruit Etienne out of high school. Etienne obviously chose Clemson over LSU.

Etienne made a good choice as he was able to show that versatility of his for four seasons at Clemson on his way to registering 4,952 rushing yards and 70 touchdowns on 686 total carries. His versatility was shown as well as he caught 102 passes for 1,155 yards and eight touchdowns during his college career.

It’s almost a definite that the Steelers will draft a running back early this year and it sure seems like they’re bound to land one of the top three in this year’s class in Etienne, Najee Harris of Alabama, or Javonte Williams of North Carolina. Could Etienne wind up being that running back? We’ll certainly see but it is obvious they have some level of interest in him overall as was evidenced on Thursday at the Clemson pro day. It also sounds like he could see himself playing in the Steelers offense as well.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/03/cl...nadas-offense/
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

The fact that these are now remote allows multiple team scouts to attend. They're gonna need all the scouting they can get after the shortened college covid season and no combine.

This draft may seem like high reward, but I think there is also more risk than in normal times. Not a year to be reaching for talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Guys like Etienne have more than enough game tape to make accurate assessments. It is the non-Power 5 and one year starters who will be more difficult to evaluate.
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Guys like Etienne have more than enough game tape to make accurate assessments. It is the non-Power 5 and one year starters who will be more difficult to evaluate.
    +1, even some power five schools don't face SEC or Big ten level competition. Prove it in the Senior Bowl week and game and offer a full workout. He's not who I want with the pick, but I do think he's worth the pick and would be a great choice if we can trade down a bit and still get him.

On Etienne, he'd certainly bring a huge upgrade over Conner, particularly as a dangerous pass catcher and outside the tackle type of runner
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 03-13-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Etienne is nice. I thought he messed up by waiting a year to enter the draft.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

In order I would take Harris, Williams and then Etienne in the first round. I would not be mad with any of the three but my man crush on Harris is real but think he’ll be long gone by the time the Steelers select.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Etienne is nice. I thought he messed up by waiting a year to enter the draft.
    I was just thinking the same. Some had him a top 10 pick if he came out after his Junior year. Now he’s struggling to stay in the first round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Etienne ran a 4.41 at his Pro Day at 215 lbs.

Colbert, Tomlin and Canada reportedly paid a lot of attention to him.

a possibility to be our pick at #24...
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

Legend

User Info Menu

Travis Etienne — RB — Clemson — 5’10” — 215 lbs

We all expected Etienne to run a good 40 time, and he did not disappoint, running a 4.41 in the better of his two runs. He did 18 reps on the bench, had a 33.5 inch vertical jump, and a 128 inch broad jump. These numbers did not likely do much to his draft stock, so he is likely somewhere in between that 20-35 range, which could make him a reasonable option if the Steelers decide to go the route of a running back in round one.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...travis-etienne

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like Etienne, but we need some top-flight OL more