Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph is quietly gaining leverage against the Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I agree, I like your idea of a 2 year deal with the option to release after the first year.

I don’t think Mason is bad tho..
    I agree. I think he could be a solid starter and still believe Matt Canada was brought in for him more than Ben
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    One game proves nothing. We can't call it improvement. Heck his QB rating in the Browns game was barely different than his 2019 season.

Mason had multiple better games in 2019 than the Browns game.

His second start he had 2 TDs zero picks, threw 85 percent and a 124 QB rating.

He had a pick and an 89 QB rating in the Browns 2020 game. Yes he had 2 TDs. It was nothing to write home about. Looked like one of his better 2019 games. Big whoop.
    just to put in a little perspective, MR is so uninspiring as a QB that hes made many of us believe Duck was a better option.

The future has to be Haskins or some to be added QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Haskins puts in the work we have our future QB on the roster and it certainly isn't MR.

Backup

User Info Menu

I just think the Steelers took a flyer on Haskins because the Rooney's like to gamble a bit and Tomlin thinks he can redeem people. If MR was an NFL starter he would have responded better to adversity in 2019. Haskins is not going to be redeemed by Tomlin and MR is just a backup. When Ben goes we will be in the QB desert until we go 5-11 and get a shot at a QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the jury is still out on MR. The last 2-seasons with the Randy "offense" left so much to be desired I don't think you can really make much of it. It was inept and predictable, an those are it's good qualities.

Coupling that with the O-line and skill player injuries the year of MR and the Duck, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by "BuzzNuter" View Post
    I just think the Steelers took a flyer on Haskins because the Rooney's like to gamble a bit and Tomlin thinks he can redeem people. If MR was an NFL starter he would have responded better to adversity in 2019. Haskins is not going to be redeemed by Tomlin and MR is just a backup. When Ben goes we will be in the QB desert until we go 5-11 and get a shot at a QB.
    MR doesn't seem to be the long term answer here. I get that some guys want him to pan out but I just don't see it in him. None of us have really.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    If Haskins puts in the work we have our future QB on the roster and it certainly isn't MR.
    I hope you're right about Haskins, he certainly has the talent.
    Dolphin fans in the 90s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I hope you're right about Haskins, he certainly has the talent.
    Does he really? He is another one of those QBs went into each college game with a huge talent overmatch...much like Alabama QBs and how USC used to be. Guys from those background always make me leery. They seem to struggle with adversity when they have to be the difference makers.

No surprise the two best QBs in team history were from smaller schools that weren't powerhouses loaded with talent
    Taking pride in the fact that I'm right so often and he is wrong so often, that Steel Maniac has to have me on "Ignore"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Does he really? He is another one of those QBs went into each college game with a huge talent overmatch...much like Alabama QBs and how USC used to be. Guys from those background always make me leery. They seem to struggle with adversity when they have to be the difference makers.

No surprise the two best QBs in team history were from smaller schools that weren't powerhouses loaded with talent
    So basically your argument is 4 and 5 star talent that goes to blue chip colleges don't have talent and can't make good NFL QBs. That's ill informed and ignorant at best. Haskins went up against 6 top 25 teams including number 4 Michigan where he threw for nearly 400 yards 6 TDs and no INTs. Yes, Haskins has the talent. He is pinpoint accurate. He has the ability to run through progressions. He has a whip for arm talent. He is better than Justin Fields. He also beat out Joe Burrow for the starting gig. O, you have no idea what you are talking about. He didn't have the maturity to be turned loose in a poor system in a poor organization. Washington is where QBs go to die. Lets see what the Steelers can do with him before all knowing mystic O dashes Haskins hopes and dreams upon the rocks of O's own despair.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is Haskins list of pre-draft positives by NFL.com who had him listed as a 6.7 talent (which is pretty darn good)

• Groomed for this moment since he was young
    • Rare passing production
    • Has been mentored by NFL receiver Mohamed Sanu
    • Well-schooled with understanding of how to get himself protected
    • Will bet big to win big
    • Confident to take chances and complete game-changing throws
    • Shows potential to be a full-field reader on NFL level
    • Effortless throwing motion
    • Can uncork a plus fastball with just the flick of his wrist
    • Scans with ball tucked close and feet bouncing from target to target
    • Ball explodes out of his hands when driving it down the field
    • Has deep ball arm to wait out coverage and hit the fastest targets in stride
    • Alters trajectory depending on coverage and space
    • Willing to stand in and take the hit to deliver the ball
    • Able to deliver and complete throws from unconventional angles
    • Excellent sense of developing pressure from the edge
    • Pocket mobile to climb and slide into safe launch spots
    • Sturdy build to shake free of pocket traffic
    • Explosive, clutch production to finish final four games