Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph is quietly gaining leverage against the Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This!!! I find it humorous that some posters think the organization is blowing smoke on how they feel about MR to save face. Ridiculous! Why do you think they give a damn about what fans think about players? If they say they see potential with MR, they see it.
    Why not? Maybe they are considering signing and trading him. It's the best way to maximize his value.

Legend

User Info Menu

This!!! I find it humorous that some posters think the organization is blowing smoke on how they feel about MR to save face. Ridiculous! Why do you think they give a damn about what fans think about players? If they say they see potential with MR, they see it.
    What's the benefit of throwing him under the bus in a press conference?

I agree that the team feels better about him than we do as fans. But most fans have only seen his body of work on Sundays in the NFL and most of it wasn't very good. He did look better this year against the Browns.

Hopefully that's a good sign and we can get him on a cheap medium term deal next year.

But if he was the answer, I think we would know it by now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    What's the benefit of throwing him under the bus in a press conference?

I agree that the team feels better about him than we do as fans. But most fans have only seen his body of work on Sundays in the NFL and most of it wasn't very good. He did look better this year against the Browns.

Hopefully that's a good sign and we can get him on a cheap medium term deal next year.

But if he was the answer, I think we would know it by now.
    If he was the answer and the team thinks highly of him, why offer Ben anything?
    Cut Ben, sign some FAs and play MR for cheap this year.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Exactly right. Rudolph would be the worst starter in the league. If the Steelers didn't have Ben back ( Let's say he retired ) they would be in the Jamis Winston or Sam Darold market or draft a QB high.

We have all seen Rudy start games. Exactly what does he do well? Like I said before I'd trade him for a 5th round pick if possible. The question is which team would want him?
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Exactly right. Rudolph would be the worst starter in the league. If the Steelers didn't have Ben back ( Let's say he retired ) they would be in the Jamis Winston or Sam Darold market or draft a QB high.

We have all seen Rudy start games. Exactly what does he do well? Like I said before I'd trade him for a 5th round pick if possible. The question is which team would want him?
    This isn’t true. I believe Mason is better than Sam Darnold and would be more efficient as a passer than guys like Hurts and even Tua.

Rudolph isn’t bad, he just isn’t a sexy QB with flashy film. He’s a bit robotic but he throws a nice deep ball.

Also, people act like Mason had an offseason with the starters as the #1 and played like crap. I think the Cleveland game was a bright spot for him.

Would love to see a game manager approach to our offense again.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Yep............

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This isn’t true. I believe Mason is better than Sam Darnold and would be more efficient as a passer than guys like Hurts and even Tua.

Rudolph isn’t bad, he just isn’t a sexy QB with flashy film. He’s a bit robotic but he throws a nice deep ball.

Also, people act like Mason had an offseason with the starters as the #1 and played like crap. I think the Cleveland game was a bright spot for him.

Would love to see a game manager approach to our offense again.
    In the year he started, he was ranked:
    31 in yards / game (193.1)
    31 in yards / attempt (6.2)
    28 in Int% (3.2%)
    14 in TD% (4.6%)
    20 in Comp% (62.2)
    33 (last) in adjusted yards per passing attempt (5.7)
    31 in yards / completion (10.0)
    29 in QB rating
    32 (last) in QBR (36.2)
    29 in net yards / passing attempt (5.5)
    31 in adjusted net yards / passing attempt (5.02)

Was he the worst starter in the league that year? Probably (or at least strongly in the conversation).
    Was he worse than many backups that played that season? Probably.

Would he be the worst starting QB if he was starting this upcoming season? Who knows. He seemed to be better against CLE this year than last year. And a new OC (that was his QB coach last season) might help him.

I think it's fair to say that he'd be in the bottom half of the league anyway.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    If the Steelers didn't have Ben back ( Let's say he retired ) they would be in the Jamis Winston or Sam Darold market or draft a QB high.
    Ben back or not would not effect my QB drafting strategy. If there is a QB in this year's draft that the FO loves as the future franchise QB of this team then they will go after him. If not then you have either Ben or Rudolph taking snaps this season and look again in 2022. I don't think that they draft a guy like Trask (for example) because they feel a need for a QB if they don't love the guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers would be smart to transition tag MR for '22 on what would essentially be a "show us" contract. If he performs they give him a 4 year deal, if not they move on.
    I fully agree with the transition tag.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    In the year he started, he was ranked:
    31 in yards / game (193.1)
    31 in yards / attempt (6.2)
    28 in Int% (3.2%)
    14 in TD% (4.6%)
    20 in Comp% (62.2)
    33 (last) in adjusted yards per passing attempt (5.7)
    31 in yards / completion (10.0)
    29 in QB rating
    32 (last) in QBR (36.2)
    29 in net yards / passing attempt (5.5)
    31 in adjusted net yards / passing attempt (5.02)

Was he the worst starter in the league that year? Probably (or at least strongly in the conversation).
    Was he worse than many backups that played that season? Probably.

Would he be the worst starting QB if he was starting this upcoming season? Who knows. He seemed to be better against CLE this year than last year. And a new OC (that was his QB coach last season) might help him.

I think it's fair to say that he'd be in the bottom half of the league anyway.
    Good work.
    I don’t feel that’s worth 15- 20 million a year.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.