Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Heart and Steel - book by Bill Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If people throughout history always hired the best candidate, most of us would have never gotten a job ever.

The one thing I kinda dislike about the Rooney Rule or similar types of rules is the stigma. I like to think Mike Tomlin got the job cause he’s a good football coach that the Steelers really liked and it had nothing to do with the Rooney Rule whatsoever. I always thought it was irritating when people perceived that a minority, woman, whomever got a job due to an unfair advantage and to fulfill a quota or something similar. That thinking seems unfair to the person in the job to me.

I think it’s ok to hire who you like irregardless if they are capable. It’s a business owner’s money so they should be free to do as they like. We gotta spend most of our awake hours with people we work with. I like working with some that can help me get stuff done and I like working with others that are nice/fun/etc.and usually that’s more important imho because it makes life enjoyable.

I understand why this stuff gets people going, But on the flip side, life is too short to worry about anything other than enjoying it to its fullest. This all ain’t no thing but a chicken wing.
    The owners are free to hire who ever they want, the Rooney Rule doesnt effect that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Clipped from a much longer writeup.

Agree with #1 and #2, disagree with the use of #3, #4 is just symptomatics of the rule, detest #5, #6 is speculation but probably some truth, #7 is the absolute key to the future. after all this is where the majority of HCs come from and it would be negligent of owners not to at least look at the best coordinators in the league as serious candidates, #8?.... not solvable within the framework of rules and regulations.

1. It Doesn’t Guarantee The Hiring of Minorities
    The catch-22 of the Rooney Rule is that it doesn’t guarantee that NFL owners would hire Black coaches. The Rooney Rule was never about forcing an owner to hire a minority candidate. It was about mandating owners to consider qualified, diverse candidates who were often ignored before picking the next coach. But even though the league can mandate at least one interview of a minority candidate, in the meritocracy of the NFL, the league can never force the owner’s hands to hire Black coaches.

2. One Interview Requirement Is Too Small Of a Sample Size
    Out of the plethora of candidates who come equipped with white privilege when they walk into league offices, interviewing just one minority person is entirely too small a sample size in the hiring enterprise. Because the Rooney Rule requires only one interview of a minority before a new hire is solidified, the majority of NFL owners have done the bare minimum by never considering more than one minority in the process.

3. Not Enough Transparency In The Interview Process
    There is no mechanism in place in the Rooney Rule that calls for reporting on the interview process when Black candidates are being vetted. NFL teams are not required to provide detailed transcripts, audio recordings, video, or anything of the sort as evidence that a thorough, transparent interview took place. Because of this loophole in the systems, NFL teams are not held accountable for the ways in which they handle their interview procedures.

4. The Rule Hasn’t Really Changed Much
    Initially, the Rooney Rule was marketed as a way to bring a more diverse representation of coaches, specifically African American candidates, to finally have a seat at the table. Fast forward 20 years later, the NFL has only four coaches of color and only one GM. Arguably, the greatest success of the rule was in 2011 and 2017 when the league boasted a record eight minority head coaches. Instead of the rule evolving and creating transformation as leaders on the sidelines, there has been a severe retrogression where talented, Black coaching candidates are making an exodus to the collegiate ranks due to lack of opportunities in the NFL.

5. No Real Consequences For NFL Teams
    According to reports from last season, the NFL grossed around $55 billion dollars in revenue. Economically speaking, the league is doing better than ever despite the central fact that qualified African Americans are routinely shut out of head coaching positions. Another deficiency in the Rooney Rule is that there are no consequences, financial or otherwise, for NFL teams for continuing the practices of de facto racial discrimination in its lack of hiring Black coaches. The wheels of the “good ole’ boy” system keeps rolling on.

6. Staging Token Interviews To Meet The Minimum Requirement
    While the NFL hasn’t placed a quota system on hiring Black coaches, the Rooney Rule has inadvertently created another quota system where teams interview just one minority candidate in order to check the box that they’ve complied with the policy. Since the inception of the rule, rumors have engulfed the NFL that Black candidates were only interviewed for compliance purposes. One example that warranted criticism was when the Philadelphia Eagles hired Doug Pederson after interviewing Duce Staley, a former Philadelphia player and assistant coach on the team. Interestingly, Staley had never held a coordinator position and was only an assistant coach for three seasons. It’s easy to detect why the Eagles were accused of circumventing the process by interviewing an in-house, minority candidate who obviously lacked the experience to be a head coach.

7. Coordinator Positions Are Not Included In The RuleBoth offensive and defensive coordinators have the most responsibilities outside of the head coach on NFL teams. Coordinators who have success are often the leading candidates for head coach positions when they become available. A fundamental flaw of the Rooney Rule is that it doesn’t require interview opportunities for coordinator jobs. Some have argued that if there were more coordinators of color in the pipeline, more minority candidates would have a greater chance at head coaching positions. The Rooney Rule fails to address this issue.

8. The Rule Doesn’t Explicitly Deal With The Real Problem: Racism
    The elephant in the NFL room is simply this: The league has a historical legacy of being a racist entity. It’s more than perception but a matter of fact. While the NFL is 70 percent Black, it has dragged behind the NBA and MLB when it comes to racial progress in regards to players, coaches, and executives.

Fritz Pollard became the first Black coach in the history of the NFL in its embryonic period in the 1920s. After his tenure, the next minority hired was Tim Flores, of Hispanic descent, in 1979 by the Oakland Raiders over fifty years later. Art Shell became the first Black coach of the NFL’s modern era when he took over the reins of the Los Angeles Raiders in 1989. Furthermore, when it comes to tracking the NFL’s track record on giving minorities executive opportunities, the narrative is even bleaker.

The Rooney Rule was may have been viewed as a step in the right direction but it did not properly assess the long arc of white supremacy in America, complicit and implicit bias, and the complex and multifaceted ways that racism is experienced, even in the realm of professional football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wait..what?!...Cowher didn't lose to bad teams like Tomlin...

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/06/wa...elers-history/

(I remember this game. Truly stunning, shocking, unbelievable)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

I think I missed this game but checked the stats and wondered how in the hell.. lol

but people remember what they want to remember.

Cowher left a year after a SB win so he is viewed as a guy who would’ve obviously won 3 more if he kept coaching.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

I too remember that game but calling it the worst loss is not fair. Cowher in fact lost to bad teams ( .500 or below ) less often than Tomlin. Houston did nothing at all on offense that day, but lucked into collecting 5 turnovers. Anyway the Steelers finished 10-5-1 that year and won a playoff game, barely losing the next one.

Leading players?

The QB was Maddox, the leading rusher was Zereoue. Ward was leading WR. Not exactly who you want a team leaders, except for Ward. Anyway, Cowher quickly righted the Ship winning three games in a row to close the season, scoring 30 points twice.

Given who he had to work with I say 10-5-1 with a playoff win was a good job by Cowher, wouldn't you? Heck we have not won a playoff game in a while...
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 06-11-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Rooney rule is a very uneven rule. It doesn't count if your are a minority of Asian or Jewish decent for example. It doesn't cover women and many others. In fact an Asian candidate for a coaching position was told " He's not the minority they are looking for " Oh he was a player and a coach.

As far as racism goes, the NFL should not talk after clearly insulting and ripping off African Americans preventing them from suing from concussion / health injures because in the NFL says they test lower on some IQ test, therefore were not robbed of cognitive abilities. Never mind the fact that the guy can barely walk or even remember something. If the NFL had integrity, they would be busy writing checks to those who wanted to sue, but were prevented from doing so from this " rule " It's not like that can't afford it.

Thats the Rooney rule needed. Owners are going to hire who they wish.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 06-11-2021 at 05:25 PM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I too remember that game but calling it the worst loss is not fair. Cowher in fact lost to bad teams ( .500 or below ) less often than Tomlin. Houston did nothing at all on offense that day, but lucked into collecting 5 turnovers. Anyway the Steelers finished 10-5-1 that year and won a playoff game, barely losing the next one.

Leading players?

The QB was Maddox, the leading rusher was Zereoue. Ward was leading WR. Not exactly who you want a team leaders, except for Ward. Anyway, Cowher quickly righted the Ship winning three games in a row to close the season, scoring 30 points twice.

Given who he had to work with I say 10-5-1 with a playoff win was a good job by Cowher, wouldn't you? Heck we have not won a playoff game in a while...
    wait.. you excuse bad losses by presenting more wins but when people point out Tomlin’s overall winning percentage its shrugs. How is it not fair to call it the worst loss when the other team has 47 yards of offense?

and if we are blaming personnel, check out our leading rushers vs Denver for both playoff losses and the Cleveland loss this year.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 06-11-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    wait.. you excuse bad loses by presenting more wins but when people point out Tomlin’s overall winning percentage its shrugs.

and if we are blaming personnel, check out our leading rushers vs Denver for both playoff losses and the Cleveland loss this year.
    It would be the Steelers haven't made the playoffs in a while if they failed to win in the regular season.

So the story now is we haven't won a playoff game in a while.

If the Steelers won a playoff game the story would be they haven't won a SuperBowl in a while.

The Steelers will never win with the move the goal posts individuals.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    The Rooney rule is a very uneven rule. It doesn't count if your are a minority of Asian or Jewish decent for example. It doesn't cover women and many others. In fact an Asian candidate for a coaching position was told " He's not the minority they are looking for " Oh he was a player and a coach.

As far as racism goes, the NFL should not talk after clearly insulting and ripping off African Americans preventing them from suing from concussion / health injures because in the NFL says they test lower on some IQ test, therefore were not robbed of cognitive abilities. Never mind the fact that the guy can barely walk or even remember something. If the NFL had integrity, they would be busy writing checks to those who wanted to sue, but were prevented from doing so from this " rule " It's not like that can't afford it.

Thats the Rooney rule needed. Owners are going to hire who they wish.
    Thats not true, the rule includes all ethnic minorities.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Cowher didn’t put value on a franchise QB.

If he did we probably wouldn’t have the defenses we loved back then.

This is also a man who saw Jim Miller as a starter and went with Tommy Gun for a few years.

I don’t even put all the blame on Cowher. We had a formula and franchise QB wasn’t at the top of the list.

and no, you can’t ignore Cowher wanting to take a Tackle when Ben was available. That is evidence this isn’t all on Colbert. Weird to have a built in excuse and praise Cowher for failing all those years.

You are the one who said AFCCG’s are failures.
    Again, what qbs did cowher pass over?
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.