Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart and Steel - book by Bill Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think this is an interesting point.

BC and MT are both good motivators / big picture guys as HCs. But not really elite Xs and Os guys.

I think they both need good coordinators to be successful. And they both had enough control of their ego to work with good coordinators and put good teams on the field.

My guess is that's a somewhat rare thing in elite professions like NFL coaching.
    I know success raises the expectations of fans but I think our success these last 40 years is proof the Rooneys know what the hell they are doing.

Sure, we don’t have 12 trophies in the case with Ben and its all Tomlin’s fault but the reality is success is NOT measured by SB’s alone.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Much better coach than Tomlin. Built his winning team.
    I might read it.
    Update:
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and now 50% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Much better coach than Tomlin. Built his winning team.
    I might read it.
    built his teams with clay and mud, with his cold hard hands..

like a sculptor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Do like I did and just put it in your sig
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 06-07-2021 at 03:30 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Lol

What would Tomlin have done differently with Kordell? Please define. Watch this space, your unable to.

No--Kordell's 4 turnovers sunk the Steelers. The Kordrell experiment was Rooney's was too cheap too cheap to even come close to the matching the Jets offer, silly man, letting Rood Woodson, Kevin Greene, and Neil' O'Donnell go. Cowher had to coach around this and Play Kordell at QB? No easy task.
    Chan did a decent job with Kordell and Cowher tried to change him and it was a beautiful disaster.

I really donít think Tomlin possibly could have handled him worse.

Either way, it was entertaining and frustrating all rolled into one. Kordell was as fun to watch and frustrating like Ben a lot of times.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Chan did a decent job with Kordell and Cowher tried to change him and it was a beautiful disaster.

I really don’t think Tomlin possibly could have handled him worse.

Either way, it was entertaining and frustrating all rolled into one. Kordell was as fun to watch and frustrating like Ben a lot of times.
    and this was the problem with coaches and mobile QB’s. They would always try and force a mobile QB to be a pocket passer.

You saw the mans tape in college, why the hell are you trying to force him to be what he isn’t? Just use what works and move one once it stops.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Leadership. X Steelers rip him and rightly so.

Culture? Culture of what? Losing in the playoffs?

Adaptability? Please define? I've seen too many losses to inferior team, the inability to play well on the west coast, and late or no changes in the game plan when we need one. Were we adaptable last year with all these short passes?

Preparation? We don't look like a prepared team often enough.

Just because your typing in words that you can't define doesn't make them true.
    Leadership, X steelers and current Steelers as well as the organization praise him.

Culture of winning, you dont go 15 years without a losing season unless you have a strong winning culture.

Adapts his teams to the fast changing nfl game, players change frequently so do coordinators and yet he still produces winning seasons.

Preperation again you dont win in the nfl for 15 years without being able to prepare and gameplan and if you think you can then you are dumber than you sound.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Leadership, X steelers and current Steelers as well as the organization praise him.

Culture of winning, you dont go 15 years without a losing season unless you have a strong winning culture.

Adapts his teams to the fast changing nfl game, players change frequently so do coordinators and yet he still produces winning seasons.

Preperation again you dont win in the nfl for 15 years without being able to prepare and gameplan and if you think you can then you are dumber than you sound.
    the problem is some folks only care about SB’s and championship games.

recent history on the playoffs have been frustrating but I think expectations are always high because of the name on the helmet.

I want to win playoff games and SB’s too but I don’t think Tomlin is holding us back. Untimely injuries and turning the ball over are the 2 biggest contributors to our recent failures these last 2 trips.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    unfortunately they don't, and that's what is so annoying.

even after being proven to be incorrect, the same false narratives and arguments continue to be repeated over and over and over again.
    that's presidential!
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Legend

User Info Menu

Lol

What would Tomlin have done differently with Kordell? Please define. Watch this space, your unable to.

No--Kordell's 4 turnovers sunk the Steelers. The Kordrell experiment was Rooney's was too cheap too cheap to even come close to the matching the Jets offer, silly man, letting Rood Woodson, Kevin Greene, and Neil' O'Donnell go. Cowher had to coach around this and Play Kordell at QB? No easy task.
    Cowher loved him some Kordell. Don't act like he had no choice. IN HIS BOOK he still calls the Kordell lead 97 team his best team. Either the man under values QB, or that is straight shade at Ben who he NEVER WANTED in the first place.