Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Heart and Steel - book by Bill Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The only thing is that time has proven you wrong. That is isn't about being a winner or being right vs wrong. It's simply attempting to apply some logic, reasonable thoughts, and opinions why Tomlin remains the HC. Everything wasn't Tomlin's fault or doing. There were many factors beyond Tomlin's or the organization's control. When weighing all the factors it's easy to understand why Tomlin remains the HC.

Tomlin and the Steelers will eventually part ways at some point. Ummm errr then I guess you will be right after 15+ years of him being a HC?
    Burgh86, your late to the party. We’ve already had endless discussions . Don’t need to prove anything to you. My points have been heard and made. Have a great day.
    From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís held on to Don Shula for too long for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for too long for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    We’ve already had endless discussions . Don’t need to prove anything to you. My points have been heard and made.
    your false narratives and arguments have been disproven on many occasions.

yet you continue to repeat them over and over and over and over again anyway.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tomlins strengths:
    Leadership
    Culture
    Adaptability
    Preperation

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Tomlins strengths:
    Leadership
    Culture
    Adaptability
    Preperation
    Confidence
    Winning
    Passion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    Maybe you can help me? What are Tomlin's strengths as a coach? All ears on this question, and his biggest fans can reply if they wish, just be ready for it.

Cowher is 5-1 with Ben in the playoffs and he didn't Ben even play that well for him as he was so young, Tomlin's record is hat with Ben? See a big difference? Cowher did not win a super bowl because of Ben. His team did. Tomlin won his SB with am amazing comeback comeback by Ben and miracle throw and catch ( With Cowher's players, 21 of 22 starters ) to win his super bowl.

Cowher is 12-9 in th playoffs, playing with some average QB's, and I'm being kind. What's Tomlin overall playoff record, and GASP, it could be a losing one this season if we make at the playoffs.

Did Cowher always have new stadium money or did Rooney blow losing perhaps our best franchise player in history failing to re-sign him and giving up our AFC championship QB entering his prime? Just a few questions.

I never said one was excellent the other trash. One was excellent, the other over rated. Expectations given the talent we had was high. We under achieved under one each.
    Maybe Tomlin would have gotten more out of Kordell and NOD???

Does Cowher get some blame for losing AFCC home games?

Maybe neither coach would have won without Lebeau.

I like Tomlin and Cowher. I think theyíre pretty comparable. Both have been frustrating in their time. And weíll all look back and overrate them both equally in time.

Id argue both should have brought home another Lombardi at a minimum and they didnít. But thatís ok. Itís generally been a fun ride, theyíve put us in a good position to compete. And thereís a lot of luck at play in the NFL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Joel, your wasting your time. They believe what they believe and you , me and some others believe other wise.

You will be having the same discussion over and over again about the same thing.

You had this same conversation at least 6 times and your fairly new still.

Do like I did and just put it in your sig and donít discuss it anymore.

Time always proves whoís right.

Just put it in your sig and leave it be.

Itís better to just have discussions on team building aspects of the organization. Let time determine the winner.
    I don't think so, I'm asking and people usually don't retort to my questions, at least with anything provable. I'm fine with any poster as long as they don't take a shot at me of mis quote me to make their point.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Tomlins strengths:
    Leadership
    Culture
    Adaptability
    Preperation

Leadership. X Steelers rip him and rightly so.

Culture? Culture of what? Losing in the playoffs?

Adaptability? Please define? I've seen too many losses to inferior team, the inability to play well on the west coast, and late or no changes in the game plan when we need one. Were we adaptable last year with all these short passes?

Preparation? We don't look like a prepared team often enough.

Just because your typing in words that you can't define doesn't make them true.
    Last edited by Joel Buchsbaum; 06-07-2021 at 07:17 AM.
    Plan to spend 75 million in cap space in 2022 ( most in the NFL ) and use the 2 comp picks ( 3rd and 5th ) for a killer 2022 draft. We will be back hopefully with better coaching.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

I like Tomlin and Cowher. I think they’re pretty comparable. Both have been frustrating in their time. And we’ll all look back and overrate them both equally in time.

Id argue both should have brought home another Lombardi at a minimum and they didn’t. But that’s ok. It’s generally been a fun ride, they’ve put us in a good position to compete. And there’s a lot of luck at play in the NFL.
    Lol

What would Tomlin have done differently with Kordell? Please define. Watch this space, your unable to.

No--Kordell's 4 turnovers sunk the Steelers. The Kordrell experiment was Rooney's was too cheap too cheap to even come close to the matching the Jets offer, silly man, letting Rood Woodson, Kevin Greene, and Neil' O'Donnell go. Cowher had to coach around this and Play Kordell at QB? No easy task.

Legend

User Info Menu

Joel, your wasting your time. They believe what they believe and you , me and some others believe other wise.

You will be having the same discussion over and over again about the same thing.

You had this same conversation at least 6 times and your fairly new still.

Do like I did and just put it in your sig and donít discuss it anymore.

Time always proves whoís right.

Just put it in your sig and leave it be.

Itís better to just have discussions on team building aspects of the organization. Let time determine the winner.
    lmao at ďjust put it in a sigĒ
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

I like Tomlin and Cowher. I think they’re pretty comparable. Both have been frustrating in their time. And we’ll all look back and overrate them both equally in time.

Id argue both should have brought home another Lombardi at a minimum and they didn’t. But that’s ok. It’s generally been a fun ride, they’ve put us in a good position to compete. And there’s a lot of luck at play in the NFL.
    I think this is an interesting point.

BC and MT are both good motivators / big picture guys as HCs. But not really elite Xs and Os guys.

I think they both need good coordinators to be successful. And they both had enough control of their ego to work with good coordinators and put good teams on the field.

My guess is that's a somewhat rare thing in elite professions like NFL coaching.