Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Juju gonna juju

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Players have gotten so big, fast, and strong that they can easily take out a defenseless receiver. So why motivate them to do you harm?
    99% of players aren’t trying to harm their opponent. But its a physical game and players know the risk. JuJu can just as easily take out a LB as well.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Paul Zeise: Until they start winning playoff games again, Steelers aren't in position to be cocky

PAUL ZEISE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JAN 8, 2021

JuJu Smith-Schuster is once again making headlines for things that have nothing to do with winning football games. He apparently gave the Browns, the Steelers’ playoff opponent Sunday, bulletin board material with this trash talk:

“They have a couple good players on their team, but at the end of the day, I don’t know. The Browns is the Browns."

Listen, if that is what qualifies as bulletin board material or trash talk among that 20-something generation, then they are more helpless than us old guys think. That wasn’t trash talk. That didn’t qualify as bulletin board material. That was an attention-starved athlete trying hard to think of something profound to say and completely whiffing.

Give me a break with that trash talk stuff. That’s the kind of thing that would get you laughed off the court back in the day when we used to play pickup in places like Pennley Park or Kennard Field. You youngsters better come with a lot more than that junk if you want to be taken seriously ... but I digress.

Smith-Schuster to me garners far more attention than his performance on the field suggests he should merit. I don’t have a problem with him; he is a young guy who seems to need attention and understands how to use social media to get it. More power to him.

The larger issue I have with the “the Browns is the Browns” line is the lack of self-awareness a statement like that shows. And my guess is that Smith-Schuster isn’t the only one in that locker room who feels this way, and that’s probably been a part of the problem.

The Browns may just be the Browns, but guess what? The rest of the league has probably been saying “the Steelers is the Steelers” — that is to say, a slightly above average team that acts like one of the league’s elite and rarely wins playoff games.

It is about time someone snap some of these players into reality, and the reality these days is that Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene, Hines Ward and James Harrison aren’t walking through that door any time soon.

The Steelers have one player — Ben Roethlisberger — who has the right to walk around the locker room and act as if the Steelers have accomplished something because he is the only one wearing a Steelers Super Bowl ring. And yes, from 2004 to 2010, the Steelers were the elite team in the NFL and Roethlisberger was a huge part of that.

That team had guys who talked trash and acted like the rest of the league feared them, but they had a reason to think that way. They were winners, not paper champions like this group

From 2004 to 2010, the Steelers were 10-3 in playoff games, won three AFC titles, two Super Bowls and indeed were the team to beat. Even the mighty Patriots were only 8-5 in playoff games with one Super Bowl win and one AFC title during that stretch.

The Steelers’ era of dominance ended when they lost to Tim Tebow and the Broncos in the 2011 playoffs, and they have never recovered from that.

And yet, here we have guys like Smith-Schuster, who has yet to be a part of even one playoff victory, talking about other teams being just pedestrian. And when you listen to some of the Steelers talk, they still believe they are elite and when they play “Renegade” and walk out onto the field, the other teams all crumble.

To quote Bad News Barrett of WWE fame: “I’m afraid I got some bad news” for anyone in that locker room who really believes the rest of the league is quaking in their boots about the prospects of playing the Steelers.

It has been 10 seasons since the Steelers lost to Green Bay in the Super Bowl. In those 10 seasons, they are 3-5 in playoff games. They have not won the AFC and they have only been to the AFC title game once. They have playoff losses to Tebow and Blake Bortles. They have missed the playoffs four times, almost as many times as they have made it (six, including this year).

The Steelers’ last playoff win was an 18-16 win over the Chiefs in 2017. Roethlisberger played in that game, but nobody else who touched the ball on offense that day is still on this team.

The overwhelming majority of the Steelers are guys with zero playoff wins on their resume. The Steelers need to talk less and win more. They need to understand that they don’t get to drape themselves in the glory of the guys who wore that uniform and act as if they’ve accomplished something.

Smith-Schuster is right, though. The Browns, well, they are just the Browns. But the Steelers are just the Steelers, and until they start winning playoff games, conference championships and Super Bowls again, they will continue to have a far higher opinion of themselves than that of anyone else in the NFL.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101080155
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

These desperate attempts to turn every answer into bulletin board material are weak af. I don’t even think JuJu was trying to get attention with this.

But maybe I’m old school as well.. I’m not a fan of the “we respect our opponent, they are well balanced and its going to be a hard fought game” nonsense.

I’m more of a “We don’t like them, they don’t like us” kind of guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    “I think they’re nameless gray faces."
    Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...

Were absolutely correct. Miami hasn't won squat ever since Shula left.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Guess I've never head the term gray face lol

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I honestly don't get his last "Browns is the Browns" comment. After his admonishment for the dancing on the logo thing, you'd think he'd keep his mouth shut. And the Browns are not the same Browns: They made the playoffs and that is clearly different than they have been. This is starting to shape up like a loss.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Paul Zeise: Until they start winning playoff games again, Steelers aren't in position to be cocky

PAUL ZEISE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JAN 8, 2021

JuJu Smith-Schuster is once again making headlines for things that have nothing to do with winning football games. He apparently gave the Browns, the Steelers’ playoff opponent Sunday, bulletin board material with this trash talk:

“They have a couple good players on their team, but at the end of the day, I don’t know. The Browns is the Browns."

Listen, if that is what qualifies as bulletin board material or trash talk among that 20-something generation, then they are more helpless than us old guys think. That wasn’t trash talk. That didn’t qualify as bulletin board material. That was an attention-starved athlete trying hard to think of something profound to say and completely whiffing.

Give me a break with that trash talk stuff. That’s the kind of thing that would get you laughed off the court back in the day when we used to play pickup in places like Pennley Park or Kennard Field. You youngsters better come with a lot more than that junk if you want to be taken seriously ... but I digress.

Smith-Schuster to me garners far more attention than his performance on the field suggests he should merit. I don’t have a problem with him; he is a young guy who seems to need attention and understands how to use social media to get it. More power to him.

The larger issue I have with the “the Browns is the Browns” line is the lack of self-awareness a statement like that shows. And my guess is that Smith-Schuster isn’t the only one in that locker room who feels this way, and that’s probably been a part of the problem.

The Browns may just be the Browns, but guess what? The rest of the league has probably been saying “the Steelers is the Steelers” — that is to say, a slightly above average team that acts like one of the league’s elite and rarely wins playoff games.

It is about time someone snap some of these players into reality, and the reality these days is that Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene, Hines Ward and James Harrison aren’t walking through that door any time soon.

The Steelers have one player — Ben Roethlisberger — who has the right to walk around the locker room and act as if the Steelers have accomplished something because he is the only one wearing a Steelers Super Bowl ring. And yes, from 2004 to 2010, the Steelers were the elite team in the NFL and Roethlisberger was a huge part of that.

That team had guys who talked trash and acted like the rest of the league feared them, but they had a reason to think that way. They were winners, not paper champions like this group

From 2004 to 2010, the Steelers were 10-3 in playoff games, won three AFC titles, two Super Bowls and indeed were the team to beat. Even the mighty Patriots were only 8-5 in playoff games with one Super Bowl win and one AFC title during that stretch.

The Steelers’ era of dominance ended when they lost to Tim Tebow and the Broncos in the 2011 playoffs, and they have never recovered from that.

And yet, here we have guys like Smith-Schuster, who has yet to be a part of even one playoff victory, talking about other teams being just pedestrian. And when you listen to some of the Steelers talk, they still believe they are elite and when they play “Renegade” and walk out onto the field, the other teams all crumble.

To quote Bad News Barrett of WWE fame: “I’m afraid I got some bad news” for anyone in that locker room who really believes the rest of the league is quaking in their boots about the prospects of playing the Steelers.

It has been 10 seasons since the Steelers lost to Green Bay in the Super Bowl. In those 10 seasons, they are 3-5 in playoff games. They have not won the AFC and they have only been to the AFC title game once. They have playoff losses to Tebow and Blake Bortles. They have missed the playoffs four times, almost as many times as they have made it (six, including this year).

The Steelers’ last playoff win was an 18-16 win over the Chiefs in 2017. Roethlisberger played in that game, but nobody else who touched the ball on offense that day is still on this team.

The overwhelming majority of the Steelers are guys with zero playoff wins on their resume. The Steelers need to talk less and win more. They need to understand that they don’t get to drape themselves in the glory of the guys who wore that uniform and act as if they’ve accomplished something.

Smith-Schuster is right, though. The Browns, well, they are just the Browns. But the Steelers are just the Steelers, and until they start winning playoff games, conference championships and Super Bowls again, they will continue to have a far higher opinion of themselves than that of anyone else in the NFL.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202101080155
    Best steeler article of the past five years!!! Bravo.

Expect more of this standard on Sunday.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers are just the Steelers because we haven’t made a SB in 9 or 10 years?

So that makes us just like the Browns who haven’t won a playoff game in 26 years?

Okay.. lol.

interesting

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    I wonder if he has been acting up to guarentee we part ways with him after this season. His behavior has been strange of late. Had words with Tomlin on the 2pt conversion . Was told to tone it down and he has not done that. Why would he be so stupid to make these comments this week. Makes me wonder f there is some motivation behind this. Wonder if he is going through a little that AB did when someone is stealing his thunder in Claypool and Johnson .
    Buzz completely nailed it. Other than a substance abuse issue the only explanation is he knows he is the odd man out with a very talent WR crew around him. He wants gone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Buzz completely nailed it. Other than a substance abuse issue the only explanation is he knows he is the odd man out with a very talent WR crew around him. He wants gone.
    what would give the impression of substance abuse?

someone pointed out Tomlin has used the nameless gray faces line. I think its just JuJu being a football player trying to sound smarter than he is..

Not sure he wants out. I would think of a few things he could do if he really wanted out.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-08-2021 at 08:57 PM.