Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay 2021 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Alabama RB Najee Harris

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if I hear one more time about Conner making 1 freaking pro bowl when we didn’t even make the playoffs that year.. lmao.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Because we need more than 1 OL. And I think it's possible (likely?) that the backs we have on the roster will be (much?) better if the middle of the line isn't getting collapsed consistently.

Don't know if that's the right take, but it's the way I'm looking at it.
    Draft is more than 2 rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

Round 1, No. 24 overall: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

My take: In a draft full of surprises, Harris and the Steelers was a predictable fit. Harris was Pittsburgh's target all along, the team's first first-round running back selection since Rashard Mendenhall in 2008. Many teams considered the 6-foot-2, 230-pound Harris the best tailback in the class, an every down back who absorbs contact, breaks away from defenders -- or hurdles them. The Steelers have plenty of pass-catchers, and in what could be Ben Roethlisberger's final season, he needs a reliable option to take his handoffs.

Much-needed running game help: A team that once punished defenses with the running game sunk to new lows in 2020. Pittsburgh rushed for the fewest yards (1,351) and yards per rush (3.6) in the NFL last season. The Steelers ran by design on 34% of their plays, which ranked 27th in the NFL, and then lost three starters (Alejandro Villanueva, Matt Feiler and Maurkice Pouncey) this offseason. Former Pro Bowler David DeCastro is the only projected starter on the line with more than 20 career starts. But Harris will help the offensive line as an instant producer. The nation's top recruit out of high school, Harris produced 3,843 rushing yards and 46 rushing touchdowns in four seasons at Alabama, along with 80 catches for 781 yards and 11 receiving scores.

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...very-selection
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

Welcome to the 'Burgh!

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/1388982128847855620

EDIT: The last time the Steelers picked a running back in the 1st round they won the super bowl. also had the hardest schedule in the nfl that year just like this year. History will repeat...!
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 05-03-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Harris is one of five running backs to enter the draft since 2003 with a 99 overall draft score. The others? Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Larry Johnson and Travis Etienne.

ó Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) April 30, 2021
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Harris is one of five running backs to enter the draft since 2003 with a 99 overall draft score. The others? Saquon Barkley, Jonathan Taylor, Larry Johnson and Travis Etienne.

— Next Gen Stats (@NextGenStats) April 30, 2021
    The Steelers could have taken Etienne or Harris and they chose Harris. It's becoming more and more clear based on the entire draft that the Steelers' focus was not only production but physicality. We heard it over and over least season about how they lacked physicality on offense. Looking into the details on these guys the picture emerges on why they chose who they did. Ebron is an athlete, but not physical. Insert Frie. Conner as hardly physical. Insert Harris. Green vs Humphrey...find some examples of Humphrey looking for work after blocking his man out the way Green does.

This draft is really growing on me the more I look at it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers could have taken Etienne or Harris and they chose Harris. It's becoming more and more clear based on the entire draft that the Steelers' focus was not only production but physicality. We heard it over and over least season about how they lacked physicality on offense. Looking into the details on these guys the picture emerges on why they chose who they did. Ebron is an athlete, but not physical. Insert Frie. Conner as hardly physical. Insert Harris. Green vs Humphrey...find some examples of Humphrey looking for work after blocking his man out the way Green does.

Etienne is nice but a little light. Harris just feels like a Steeler RB. That dude is nasty and we are going to be amazed at his ability to run through tackles.

Legend

User Info Menu

I mispoke here and gotta correct it; Conner is physical but at his own peril. Harris has been durable. The other point on Harris is he protects the ball, something the other Steeler backs had problems with.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that this was their philosophy.

Legend

User Info Menu

2021 NFL Draft: Micah Parsons-Cowboys, Najee Harris-Steelers among five favorite picks

Published: May 03, 2021
    NFL.com Analyst

Najee Harris Alabama ∑ RB

Pittsburgh Steelers Round 1 ∑ No. 24 overall

The Steelers' offense hasn't been the same since Le'Veon Bell's departure. However, that should change with Harris' arrival. The Alabama standout is a mix of Matt Forte and Bell, with a game that could enable him to thrive as an RB1/WR2 in Pittsburgh. Harris' combination of power running skills and soft hands makes him a rare find at the position as an ultra-versatile playmaker from the backfield. He should immediately alleviate some of the pressure on Ben Roethlisberger to carry the offense as a reliable runner between the tackles with pass-catching skills to turn screens, check downs and quick routes into big plays on the perimeter.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-dr...ive-favorite-p