Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay 2021 Mock Draft: Steelers Select Alabama RB Najee Harris

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i wouldn't mind option 2 despite the questions on sermon.
    like is he better then what we already have? snell and mcfarland were drafted a round or two later then this projection.
    This whole option has nothing to do with Sermon. You can take him out of the equation. If you look at the two linemen in the mock neither are projected to be available to the Steelers in those spots. Darrisaw is considered a plug and play LT who won't fall out of the teens. Not the same question mark as a guy like Brown (or Little, or Forsythe, or Hudson or anyone available in the third). Humphrey could very well be the pick at #24, he is probably the top C in the draft (except for a guy with two ACL injuries) and unlikely to last to #55. These are two guys who fit the description of "plug them in and don't worry about the position for 10 years."

The question is, would you rather fortify the line like that and then plug in a guy like Sermon/Stevenson/Jefferson/Gainwell or even Snell/McFarland? Alternatively, you take the best RB in the draft and a couple of question marks in the second and third. The two guys they chose are small school C who nobody had heard of before the Senior Bowl and a small school RT prospect, although any of the third round guys still have more question marks than Darrisaw.

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers eager to draft a running back in the first or second round

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 18, 2021

NFL teams have increasingly found that drafting a running back is a risky proposition, with highly drafted runners often proving to be no better than the backs available late in the draft or as undrafted free agents. But the Steelers apparently think they need to address the position early in this year’s draft.

Pittsburgh expects to add a feature draft most likely in the first round and no later than the second round, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers allowed last year’s leading rusher, James Conner, to leave in free agency. They’ve spent fourth-round picks on running backs, Anthony McFarland and Benny Snell, each of the last two years, and they signed Kalen Ballage in free agency. But they apparently want more.

Clemson’s Travis Etienne and Alabama’s Najee Harris are generally considered the best running backs in this year’s draft.

The report says the Steelers are serious about improving their running game and may also draft a run blocking offensive lineman early.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-second-round/
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

1(24) Najee Harris RB Alabama

Legend

User Info Menu

From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    counter-argument:

teams picking in the first round last year could have selected Jonathan Taylor.

the year before the Raiders picked Josh Jacobs and he has done very well.
    Steel Maniac predicted no RBs would be chosen in the 1st round, so of course we selected:

Legend

User Info Menu

From the 2010-2020 season, (A 10 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70’s...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

2021 NFL Mock Draft: Todd McShay and Mel Kiper deliver the Steelers’ first three picks

Todd McShay and Mel Kiper might be the most polarizing characters in the NFL Draft game, and they combined for a 3-round mock draft just over a week out of the 2021 NFL Draft.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Apr 20, 2021

The 2021 NFL Draft is just days away, and every year the expert draft panel of Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. do a fun 3-round mock draft to give the fans something to consider before the selection process starts.

This year, like every year, the two experts rotated picks throughout the three rounds. In this year’s mock, the Pittsburgh Steelers had two picks made by McShay, and one from Kiper, McShay being Rounds 1 and 3, with Kiper picking in Round 2.

Unlike in previous years, where the two experts tried to predict what the teams would do, they decided to play General Manager for all 32 teams. So, they aren’t picking who they think Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert will pick, instead, they are picking who they would pick based on their thoughts on team needs.

Kiper and McShay alternated each pick, with Kiper starting at No. 1 and taking the odd numbers and McShay taking the evens.

Round 1

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

McShay’s pick: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

Pittsburgh’s 3.6 yards per carry ranked last in the NFL in 2020, and it just lost its most productive rusher in James Conner. Mel might not like first-round running backs, but this makes too much sense.

Harris’ chances of being available here: 77.3%

Round 2

55. Pittsburgh Steelers

Kiper’s pick: Alex Leatherwood, OT/G, Alabama

I don’t think Leatherwood is a top-50 player, but he’s a fit for Pittsburgh, which needs both a guard and tackle. If McShay is giving the Steelers a running back in Round 1, I need to get them a player to block.

Round 3

87. Pittsburgh Steelers

Kiper’s pick: Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State

Wade got some first-round buzz after the 2019 season, but he had a poor 2020 season, when he moved out wide and covered the opposing team’s best receiver. He’s better out of the slot, and if he can get back to his 2019 form, he could be a steal.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...s-najee-harris

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I don’t think Leatherwood is a top-50 player, but he’s a fit for Pittsburgh, which needs both a guard and tackle.
    Unless he plays both at the same time it doesn't really matter that they need both. Give me a left tackle that will play left tackle.

Legend

User Info Menu

Le'Veon Bell for the first five seasons of his career put up 5,336 rushing yards, 2,660 receiving yards, and 42 TDs.

I'll take that kind of production from Harris on his rookie contract, even if we don't re-sign him or his wheels have fallen off.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Le'Veon Bell for the first five seasons of his career put up 5,336 rushing yards, 2,660 receiving yards, and 42 TDs.

I'll take that kind of production from Harris on his rookie contract, even if we don't re-sign him or his wheels have fallen off.
    but we didn’t make a SB with Bell.

Didn’t make one with DD either but why should that stop us from drafting another lineman in the first?
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

I know. Listen, I get it. I’ve heard all the arguments about a Round 1 running back. Believe me, I know they have merits. The Steelers, however, think differently. Both Pauline and my own Steelers guys believe they are fully locked in on Harris, and they aren’t trying to hide it.

Najee Harris would be the best Steelers back since Le’Veon Bell. They’ve not had a back they can trust to lead a committee of running backs with the versatility to line up out wide and smoke a linebacker as a receiver. That’s Harris. He’s the best back in this class, and he fits the style of player the Steelers like to add into their locker room.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/s...-mock-draft/2/