Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cornerback Tabbed as Steelers Biggest Offseason Need

Legend

User Info Menu

Cornerback Tabbed as Steelers Biggest Offseason Need

Cornerback Tabbed as Steelers Biggest Offseason Need

January 20, 2024 By Nick Farabaugh

As the Pittsburgh Steelers pivot towards the offseason, Omar Khan and Mike Tomlin will discuss the team's needs. And while there are many apparent ones, such as quarterback, center, and offensive tackle, Pro Football Focus believes the most significant need comes on the defensive side of the football.

They tabbed cornerback as the biggest need for Pittsburgh. Across from Joey Porter Jr., no certain player can slot into that spot. Patrick Peterson has experimented with moving to safety. Meanwhile, Levi Wallace is a free agent. Cory Trice and Darius Rush are young and have shown some promise, but their development is anything but certain. So, PFF has someone like Clemson cornerback Nate Wiggins making sense.

https://steelersnow.com/pittsburgh-s...on-cornerback/
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I have been giving this some thought. I'd rather pick a cornerback in free agency the gamble on one in the draft. We stuck gold in Porter but outside of him it has been &#^t in the bed during Tomlin's tenure.

A solid # 2 CB will not be cheap on the cap! I say so what. We get cap savings once we release Chucks, Daniels, and Trubisky...like 20 Million .

My soon to be thread on off season moves , which combines who to pick in the draft and who to sign in free agency draft is highly recommended.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Buchsbaum View Post
    I have been giving this some thought. I'd rather pick a cornerback in free agency the gamble on one in the draft. We stuck gold in Porter but outside of him it has been &#^t in the bed during Tomlin's tenure.

A solid # 2 CB will not be cheap on the cap! I say so what. We get cap savings once we release Chucks, Daniels, and Trubisky...like 20 Million .

My soon to be thread on off season moves , which combines who to pick in the draft and who to sign in free agency draft is highly recommended.
    Joel, i 100% agree with this assessment, especially given this isnt one of the stronger CB drafts.

i would rather find a 3-4 year veteran where you know who he is.

i think Daniels stays, but the extension of Cam should give a lot of relief..
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone still disappointed the Steelers lost out on keeping Sutton after yesterday's game? He's not an outside CB and was getting torched playing there. But if they could get him back to play the slot I'd be all over that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think C and DL are the biggest need that we will try to fill this season.

QB is the biggest need, but I don't think we're going to do anything major on that front. We'll bring back Mason. If he doesn't come back, I think we'll we'll bring in a journeyman type (e.g. Minshew).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-22-2024 at 08:42 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Joel, i 100% agree with this assessment, especially given this isnt one of the stronger CB drafts.

i would rather find a 3-4 year veteran where you know who he is.

i think Daniels stays, but the extension of Cam should give a lot of relief..
    Daniels, if cut saves us 8.2 million on the cap. He did not make many mistakes in terms of sacks allowed ( 1 ) or penalties committed ( 3 ) last season. I think he is slight over paid but solid player.
    Tomlin hasn't won a playoff game in seven years and counting. The earliest will be eight years. Art Rooney II, get a new head coach.

Current mock draft as of 3-18-24

1. QB Nix
    2. C Fraizer
    3. OT Fisher
    3B. DL Smith
    4. S Bullock
    6. WR Pickney
    6. CB Newton

Legend

User Info Menu

Sign Jaylon Johnson during free agency...CB problem solved.

DL and ILB need to be draft priorities.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Daniels, if cut saves us 8.2 million on the cap. He did not make many mistakes in terms of sacks allowed ( 1 ) or penalties committed ( 3 ) last season. I think he is slight over paid but solid player.
    We're not going to cut Daniels. He's more likely to get extended than cut IMO. He's a good player and currently 27. 2024 is the last year of his contract. Maybe they let him play out his contract?

We'll cut Chuks from the OL.

Cole we might cut or maybe keep for depth (since depth OL are hard to find). He's under contract for one more year. He has a 1.5M roster bonus due mid-March. And a 3.25M salary. I think everything is on the table for him. Cut before roster bonus. Pay roster bonus and try to trade / cut after we see what happens in the draft. Keep for depth at iOL (I think he has played G as well as C in his career).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-23-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Again, i agree with the player assessment.

i just have a feeling the team is like if it ain’t broke dont fix it and focuses more on OT and C for the oline
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington