Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at Linebacker Depth

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at Linebacker Depth

I've been thinking about the Linebacker corp. after the draft, wondering if we have any guys within the ranks who could provide quality depth in 2018. Two guys I have been wondering about are Keion Adams and Keith Kelsey. I know Kelsey was signed to the practice squad in September. What happened with Adams? I am thinking he had a season ending injury, but not sure about that.

I left the draft thinking we were going to be active in Free Agency (Lawrence Timmons comes to mind)... but I always look for that "Mike Hilton" who climbs through the ranks, and becomes an solid player.

Any thoughts?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Adams was drafted last year, 7th round? I think. Colbert referenced him in the post draft press conference. He was looking pretty good in camp and had a shoulder injury that required surgery. Should be good to go for this season and they think of him a potential contributor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Adams was drafted last year, 7th round? I think. Colbert referenced him in the post draft press conference. He was looking pretty good in camp and had a shoulder injury that required surgery. Should be good to go for this season and they think of him a potential contributor.
    Yep, he was our 2017 7th rounder. If Colbert mentioned him in the presser...they must be looking for him to contribute in 2018.

Legend

User Info Menu

No problem giving Timmons a chance to earn a spot

Knows the defense

Legend

User Info Menu

The depth at linebacker is paper thin.

On the inside, behind Vince Williams and the injury-prone Bostic, the Steelers have:

- Matakevich
    - LJ Fort
    - Galambos
    - Kelsey
    - Matthew Thomas

On the outside, the Steelers have:

- Chickillo
    - Keion Adams (last year's 7th)
    - Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (kind of interesting UDFA)
    - Farrington Hugeunin

The Steelers could sign a Navarro Bowman or Timmons. But I doubt they do. You run into the same issue you had with Harrison last year. Those guys need to start because they are not going to play STs.

I sense that the Steelers are going to "replace" Shazier with more dime, using guys like Edmunds, Burnett, Davis and Allen as interchangeable safeties that can play in the box. But if a team does what Jacksonville did, and forces them to stick in the base, they didn't really do much to upgrade ILB or NT.

There was a time when teams always spread the Steelers out. I wonder if we'll see the opposite - teams going heavy to keep the Steelers in base.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a sad commentary on the Steelers LB corp when people are suggesting Timmons or a practice squad player may be contributors to the defense this season. I can't remember a time in my life when there was such a lack of outright talent. Steelers need to keep their fingers crossed that a team will cut a LB that has been misplaced on their defense and will shine in theirs, ala Farrior.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The depth at linebacker is paper thin.

On the inside, behind Vince Williams and the injury-prone Bostic, the Steelers have:

- Matakevich
    - LJ Fort
    - Galambos
    - Kelsey
    - Matthew Thomas

On the outside, the Steelers have:

- Chickillo
    - Keion Adams (last year's 7th)
    - Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (kind of interesting UDFA)
    - Farrington Hugeunin

The Steelers could sign a Navarro Bowman or Timmons. But I doubt they do. You run into the same issue you had with Harrison last year. Those guys need to start because they are not going to play STs.

I sense that the Steelers are going to "replace" Shazier with more dime, using guys like Edmunds, Burnett, Davis and Allen as interchangeable safeties that can play in the box. But if a team does what Jacksonville did, and forces them to stick in the base, they didn't really do much to upgrade ILB or NT.

There was a time when teams always spread the Steelers out. I wonder if we'll see the opposite - teams going heavy to keep the Steelers in base.
    which makes CLE passing on Barkley even more baffling....

Butler's gonna have to get real creative this year or the Steelers may end up at the bottom of the league in run defense and time of possession.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    which makes CLE passing on Barkley even more baffling....

Butler's gonna have to get real creative this year or the Steelers may end up at the bottom of the league in run defense and time of possession.
    They picked up Chubb though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's a sad commentary on the Steelers LB corp when people are suggesting Timmons or a practice squad player may be contributors to the defense this season. I can't remember a time in my life when there was such a lack of outright talent. Steelers need to keep their fingers crossed that a team will cut a LB that has been misplaced on their defense and will shine in theirs, ala Farrior.
    I sort of feel the same way; just trying to stay positive. Guys rise through the ranks... every now and again you get a hidden gem, such as a James Harrison or (more recently) a Mike Hilton.

I was furious last year when we neglected ILB in the draft. This year... I'm trying to take a more measured approach. Hopefully we get the position stabilized in Free Agency.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Keion Adams situation is more interesting than the standard practice squad player. Many don't arise to become good players but Chris Hubbard, for example, was a practice squad guy who turned out well. Adams was someone who observers felt could push to make the team before the injury. That is why I think he deserves some mention.