Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tim Hightower

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post

Not to argue with GG (his observations of Mendy's running style ring true with me), but ...
    I have cringed when our RB's, Mendy or anyone, has had to run behind an Offensive Line that mostly only offended Steeler tradition and fans and professional-level play, and had to run in an offense managed by a coordinator who de-emphasized practicing the run game which helped to make it even less effective than it could have been. In that context, I think Mendy has been a very effective RB and is under-appreciated. BTW, I remember criticisms of Franco Harris for avoiding hits, running out-of-bounds instead of fighting for the extra yard, etc. Last I knew, Franco had a reasonably long and effective career and is in the HOF.
    I totally agree with Duckie's assessment on RM. And RM couldn't carry Franco's jock, let alone be comparable to him on a football field. Franco is a HALL OF FAME back who didn't hesitate in the hole like RM. Yes, he stepped out of bounds to
    avoid unnecessary contact. Big difference. RM stutter step and endless spins are not the stuff of Franco. Not even close. There is just something not there with RM. He has all the physical measurables to be a top NFL back, but he just isn't. He is missing the killer desire to gobble up yards. It's almost like he runs to not get hurt and is timid far too often. And he never breaks that final tackle to take it to the house. He always gets taken down by that last defender. I am sick of his act.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I totally agree with Duckie's assessment on RM. And RM couldn't carry Franco's jock, let alone be comparable to him on a football field. Franco is a HALL OF FAME back who didn't hesitate in the hole like RM. Yes, he stepped out of bounds to
    avoid unnecessary contact. Big difference. RM stutter step and endless spins are not the stuff of Franco. Not even close. There is just something not there with RM. He has all the physical measurables to be a top NFL back, but he just isn't. He is missing the killer desire to gobble up yards. It's almost like he runs to not get hurt and is timid far too often. And he never breaks that final tackle to take it to the house. He always gets taken down by that last defender. I am sick of his act.
    Quack! The point was not to compare Mendy to Franco, the point was to compare the fans' criticism of Mend to the fans' criticism of Franco. Sorry if that was not clear to you. Franco took alot of fan heat for his affinity for the safety of the sidelines.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You know what Mendehall does well? Scores TDs...

He's scored 30 in the last three years...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

"All he does is score touchdowns" -Buddy Ryan

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am getting confused here.

mendenhall is being criticized for not running hard enough and fighting for every yard while redman is being criticized for doing the exact opposite. Seems someone wants to have it both ways.

maybe someone will just say a anythjng to prop up jonathan dwyer.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

That's nice and all, but with RM as our starting back Pgh's rushing attack has been below average, and for a team that cherishes running the ball, that ain't so good. RM apc was only 4.1. I would like to see our #1 back rushing with at least a 4.5 avg.

Rookie

User Info Menu

That's nice and all, but with RM as our starting back Pgh's rushing attack has been below average, and for a team that cherishes running the ball, that ain't so good. RM apc was only 4.1. I would like to see our #1 back rushing with at least a 4.5 avg.
    You know who has a 4.5 YpC avg. for the Steelers? Isaac Redman...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I am getting confused here.

mendenhall is being criticized for not running hard enough and fighting for every yard while redman is being criticized for doing the exact opposite. Seems someone wants to have it both ways.

maybe someone will just say a anythjng to prop up jonathan dwyer.
    Eddie, the world (and your use of the English language) is not always as simple as black and white. Not everything is mutually exclusive. You see, it is possible for both assertions to be true: RM does stutter step and spin too much and IR will be hurt often due to his running style. Both can be true but if you look at this in too simple of a manner, you can't grasp both concepts in unison. We shall see if IR does indeed play every game of the season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Eddie, the world (and your use of the English language) is not always as simple as black and white. Not everything is mutually exclusive. You see, it is possible for both assertions to be true: RM does stutter step and spin too much and IR will be hurt often due to his running style. Both can be true but if you look at this in too simple of a manner, you can't grasp both concepts in unison. We shall see if IR does indeed play every game of the season.
    or maybe you just talk out of both sides of your mouth as long as it fits your agenda on dwyer.

yeah, I'm going with that one.

Legend

User Info Menu

the world is not always as simple as black and white.
    I thought the world was black and gold?

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha