Thread: Agent: Sanders may opt to play year out with Steelers then sign elsewhere

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    what has Sanders done to deserve a fat contract in FA next year? He has to ball out this year IMO.
    Nothing, but if New England was interested and according to his agent other teams were willing to make the same play, he'll get more than we expect for doing not much. You don't need to do much in the NFL any longer to get more than you're worth. If you've made catches, made some YAC, and scored a few touchdowns you can get yourself a nice payday in the new NFL where you need 4 competent receivers to compete. It used to be that way for running backs, now it's WRs and quarterbacks.

He only has to ensure that he heads into the free agent season healthy and some one will overpay for him.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    You don't need to do much in the NFL any longer to get more than you're worth.
    Ask Mendy and James if they think this is true?

I'm of the mindset Sanders has to go all out. He may fancy money like Wally, but he plays a different game. He's got a much different approach on the field and typically seeks out contact even on plays most WRs take off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Ask Mendy and James if they think this is true?

I'm of the mindset Sanders has to go all out. He may fancy money like Wally, but he plays a different game. He's got a much different approach on the field and typically seeks out contact even on plays most WRs take off.
    Wrong position and age is why they aren't getting big contracts. Wide receivers are a hot commodity, so, average to above average and healthy will get you a payday as a receiver.

Pappy

7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Wrong position and age is why they aren't getting big contracts. Wide receivers are a hot commodity, so, average to above average and healthy will get you a payday as a receiver.

Pappy
    I think Sanders still has to prove he's got game. Plus just cause Miami overpaid for a WR doesn't mean everyone else will. These guys are still a dime a dozen. Heck San Diego picked up Danario Alexander off the couch in the middle of last season and he looked great. Look at what Brady does with guys like Welker and Edleman.

I'm not sure there will be a huge market for Sanders unless he goes off this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think Sanders still has to prove he's got game. Plus just cause Miami overpaid for a WR doesn't mean everyone else will. These guys are still a dime a dozen. Heck San Diego picked up Danario Alexander off the couch in the middle of last season and he looked great. Look at what Brady does with guys like Welker and Edleman.

I'm not sure there will be a huge market for Sanders unless he goes off this year.
    It only takes one team and Sanders has shown that he can make catches in the NFL. He won't get Wallace money, but he'll get a nice chunk of change (IMO) and probably more than the cash strapped Steelers can afford.

Pappy

7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

according to his agent other teams were willing to make the same play
    Repeat this to yourself and see if it sounds as ridiculous to you as it does to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Repeat this to yourself and see if it sounds as ridiculous to you as it does to me.
    The comment is grammatically incomplete. What I was trying to say was that according to Sanders' agent there were other teams "making the same play to obtain him" besides the New England Patriots. The Patriots simply offered him the most scratch 2.5 million dollars. I was probably in a hurry and the meaning behind the statement could not be determined.

Pappy

7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

The comment is grammatically incomplete. What I was trying to say was that according to Sanders' agent there were other teams "making the same play to obtain him" besides the New England Patriots. The Patriots simply offered him the most scratch 2.5 million dollars. I was probably in a hurry and the meaning behind the statement could not be determined.

Pappy
    No, I meant the part where we were supposed to believe the word of the agent as to how many teams were interested.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nothing, but if New England was interested and according to his agent other teams were willing to make the same play, he'll get more than we expect for doing not much. You don't need to do much in the NFL any longer to get more than you're worth. If you've made catches, made some YAC, and scored a few touchdowns you can get yourself a nice payday in the new NFL where you need 4 competent receivers to compete. It used to be that way for running backs, now it's WRs and quarterbacks.

He only has to ensure that he heads into the free agent season healthy and some one will overpay for him.

Pappy
    Not so sure about that... IMO he has done nothing to get overpaid... We dangled him out there for a freaking late 3rd rounder. If we put a higher tender on him I doubt anyone would make a move.