Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Steelers draft...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yes you are correct. And the Steelers have one of the best defensive football players (when healthy), in the entire world who misses tackles like that as well.

Manti Te'o missed a couple of tackles in the open field versus a fabulous running back.

And your point is?
    My point is, in the biggest game of his life, against the best talent he has seen...he played poorly. Now people who have invested their egos into tooting this guy's horn are going to be apologists and talk down to those of us who are not "football gurus" like themselves.

My only point is this...I want players who play big in big games. That performace by Te'o was pathetic. And while I'm not saying he isn't a quality player, that performance raised my eyebrow. And I assure you it will raise the eyebrows of many scouts around the league. How many players draft stock jump or fall based upon a Senior Bowl showing? This will be no different.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You gonna believe Dee or your lying eyes?

Anyone who followed this ND team and didn't get wrapped up in the NBC hype could see he was good but not Heisman worthy.
    I'm going to believe Dee because I don't know anything about football.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Someone in here said Bama's OL looked like a bunch of Probowlers & were dominant. Well, that is why the "tape" speaks volumes...That game fuels the speculation. Questions on how his game transitions to the NFL haven't been answered. Te'O against an NFL caliber OL....Didn't fair well. Ok...Maybe one game. Now they go back and look at other games and look closer at how he matches up against other NFL caliber players @ OL, TE, RB, & FB. Is there a Pattern? Are there more Struggles? Did his production benefit from the guys in front of him against lesser competition? If Te'O's Combine 10 yard split, cone times, & position work outs look average...Do things come into perspective? I think after last nights game...There are far more questions than answers. I think the only thing you could take from that game on Te'O is there is a greater chance he will be on the board at #17. That game didn't play himself out of the 1st round by no means but I belive he played himself out of the Top 10.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Someone in here said Bama's OL looked like a bunch of Probowlers & were dominant. Well, that is why the "tape" speaks volumes...That game fuels the speculation. Questions on how his game transitions to the NFL haven't been answered. Te'O against an NFL caliber OL....Didn't fair well. Ok...Maybe one game. Now they go back and look at other games and look closer at how he matches up against other NFL caliber players @ OL, TE, RB, & FB. Is there a Pattern? Are there more Struggles? Did his production benefit from the guys in front of him against lesser competition? If Te'O's Combine 10 yard split, cone times, & position work outs look average...Do things come into perspective? I think after last nights game...There are far more questions than answers. I think the only thing you could take from that game on Te'O is there is a greater chance he will be on the board at #17. That game didn't play himself out of the 1st round by no means but I belive he played himself out of the Top 10.
    I completely agree. Every player evaluator in the league will have to make those comparisons on tape and look very, very closely. I'm not in favor of drafting workout warriors that fair well in the combine but you can't dispute that Te'o's combine performance will matter.

If he's available at #17, I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with that selection as of now. I'd have to look at more of his play than just last night and other "highlights". I would also need to see some of his combine results.

IMO, he is not a top 10 pick right now. Add in the fact that ILB's don't typically get drafted that high anyways.

Here is a player comparison with the last ILB that I remember getting drafted as high as where Te'O is projected.

Patrick Willis (Ole Miss):

Year G-S UT AT TT TFL-YDS Sacks-Yds CF FR PD PRES INT BLK
    2003 13-0 16 4 20 1.0-6 0-0 1
    2004 10-0 54 16 70 11.0-62 5.0-39 1 1 1 4
    2005 10-10 90 38 128 9.5-42 3.0-28 2 1 3 2 1
    Total 33-10 160 58 218 21.5-110 8.0-67 3 2 4 7 1 0

*Didn't Willis play with a broken forearm his senior year?

Manti Te'O (Notre Dame)

Tackles Def Int Fumbles
    Year Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk Int Yds Avg TD PD FR FF
    [URL="http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2009.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_c ampaign=ShareTool&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Sha re&utm_campaign=ShareTool"]2009[/URL] 29 34 63 5.5 1.0 0 0 0 1 0 0
    [URL="http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2010.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_c ampaign=ShareTool&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Sha re&utm_campaign=ShareTool"]2010[/URL] 66 67 133 9.5 1.0 0 0 0 3 0 1
    [URL="http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2011.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_c ampaign=ShareTool&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Sha re&utm_campaign=ShareTool"]2011[/URL] 62 66 128 13.5 5.0 0 0 0 2 0 1
    [URL="http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2012.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_c ampaign=ShareTool&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Sha re&utm_campaign=ShareTool"]2012[/URL] 52 51 103 5.5 1.5 7 35 5.0 0 11 1 0
    Career 209 218 427 34.0 8.5 7 35 5.0 0 17 1 2
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would disagree with the blame your putting on the Notre Dame DL. Probably everyone of those defensive linemen will be playing on Sundays sooner or later
    Ovi the difference between the D-lineman of Notre Dame and the O-lineman of Alabama is being NFL ready. Although they may eventually become NFL players in the future, Notre Dame's D-front is far from NFL ready. And Alabama's O-line is as ready as it gets. There's a big difference there.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm going to believe Dee because I don't know anything about football.
    Shawn no need to get your feelings hurt. You have expressed your opinion about Te'o which I do not believe is correct. Simple as that. There was no intent on insulting you or anyone else. But it seems as if old wounds have not completely healed. So be it.

I stand by my thoughts on Te'o. And no pride or ego is involved and there certainly is no need to be an apologist. I've seen thousands of great players have bad games. Te'o's game last night does not change what I have seen of him over the past 4 years.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Shawn no need to get your feelings hurt. You have expressed your opinion about Te'o which I do not believe is correct. Simple as that. There was no intent on insulting you or anyone else. But it seems as if old wounds have not completely healed. So be it.

I stand by my thoughts on Te'o. And no pride or ego is involved and there certainly is no need to be an apologist. I've seen thousands of great players have bad games. Te'o's game last night does not change what I have seen of him over the past 4 years.
    I'll try not to feel small and pathetic...thanks for your comforting words.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Patrick Willis played for Ole Miss in the SEC and went against NFL talent for 3 years.

I think it's fair to judge T'eo on his performance in this game since he was a Heisman finalist. You expect a guy to show up or make tackles instead of getting run over and run through by RB's when 1 on 1. T'eo looked slow and over matched IMO. He became popular because he suffered 2 deaths in the same week earlier this year and the team went on a good run.

Legend

User Info Menu

their D was awful before this year... night and day to be exact. They may not be NFL ready but they were pretty impressive outside of the PITT game. This wasn't a case of T'eo getting doubled... he missed more tackles in the first quarter then he did all season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    their D was awful before this year... night and day to be exact. They may not be NFL ready but they were pretty impressive outside of the PITT game. This wasn't a case of T'eo getting doubled... he missed more tackles in the first quarter then he did all season.
    If I recall the Pitt game correctly the Panthers were able to neutralize Te'o as well, not necessarily from a physical standpoint, but from a scheme standpoint. They seemed to be able to avoid him or put him positions where he was making plays, but not the big splash play.

I know the folks that like Te'o will say look at his body of work and those that weren't sure of his stock status will say he was horrible and I hope my team doesn't draft him. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. It would be difficult for me as a scout or GM to watch the game last night and say, "if that guy's available at 1.17 I'm taking him". Maybe, hey, he's had a great career and a bad game at the worst time, so if he's there in the second we'll take him.

There were so many other players that looked good that may be available at 1.17, Warmack, Jones, Lacy, Millner (not likely to fall that far) that it would be difficult to remove last night's game from the mix. Te'o's comments after the game were those of a high character player and that will count a lot as well. I wish him well, he's a good player that had a bad night at the worst time. However, I hope the Steelers pass on him if he's there at 1.17 and either Lacy, Warmack or Jones is there for the taking.

I would love for Trent Richardson II (provided he declares) to be wearing Black and Gold next year. Redman and Dwyer aren't in the same ball park as Lacy, IMO, that guy is downhill all the time.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount