Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas' impact still slow to develop for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Agree with your sentiments Ovi, and I will admit to being wrong on timmons.

I just don't believe we needed to waste a 4th rounder on a 3rd string QB when we had gradkowski under contract and the rest of the roster in the shape that it was.
    I hear you... but I think it's good that we finally have a legit QB on our roster who can be a good stop gap or maybe even turn into a decent QB once Ben is done. It's also good insurance if Ben retired unexpectedly or wants Romo type cash.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    In your opinion, when is the right time to begin developing Ben's replacement? In all honesty, no one here can say whether Jones is going to be good or bad. But, the Steelers thought enough of him to snatch him up. I know Bill Polian stated Landry Jones was the best QB in the 2012 draft. So, the guy can throw...he is also a smart guy. So, if not him...who? If not now, when?
    probably the same year Ben retires... some people think you can just pick anyone in ANY draft and get by but we all know that isn't the case.

people act like that pick would be the one that changed our season the last 2 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

by Ed Bouchette

--- YOU: What are your thoughts on taking a part-time player in the 3rd round

ED: It’s better than taking a punter or a third-string quarterback in the fourth round.

[URL]http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2014/06/02/A-June-Cap-Boom-for-Steelers.html[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We used a 3rd round AND 4th round pick on a DB who doesn't seem to have a role on this team in his second season except as a special teams player and back up. That should upset you far more than Landry Jones, especially when you factor in we brought in two players from the outside to put in front of him on the depth chart---Mitchell and Allen.

Essentially we wasted two draft picks on a third string DB didn't we?
    No we didn't use 2 draft picks (I'm ignoring the "wasted" part) to get Shamarko. We traded our 2014 3rd rounder (and nothing else) to get Cleveland's 2013 4th round pick (#111) to draft Shamarko Thomas. If we gave Cleveland the 2014 3rd rounder to move up in the 4th round (giving up two picks), then we would not have had the #115 overall pick that was used to draft Landry Jones.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    probably the same year Ben retires... some people think you can just pick anyone in ANY draft and get by but we all know that isn't the case.

people act like that pick would be the one that changed our season the last 2 years.
    And that's the thing. People are pulling out their crystal balls and saying Jones will only be a back up. No one knows that. He may very well develop into a solid starter. Shoot, he has all the physical tools to be great. Towards the end of preseason I saw some glimpses of his talent. I am very curious as to how he develops. So, when people say hey we used a premium pick on a third string QB...that logic is like saying you can't draft anyone unless they are a starter right away.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    And that's the thing. People are pulling out their crystal balls and saying Jones will only be a back up. No one knows that. He may very well develop into a solid starter. Shoot, he has all the physical tools to be great. Towards the end of preseason I saw some glimpses of his talent. I am very curious as to how he develops. So, when people say hey we used a premium pick on a third string QB...that logic is like saying you can't draft anyone unless they are a starter right away.
    Tyler Bray also has all the tools to be great. It's likely that neither he nor Landry Jones will be.

I have no problem with investing in a backup QB. I take issue with the player they selected -a guy who in college struggled with pressure. Not a good recipe for success as a backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    No we didn't use 2 draft picks (I'm ignoring the "wasted" part) to get Shamarko. We traded our 2014 3rd rounder (and nothing else) to get Cleveland's 2013 4th round pick (#111) to draft Shamarko Thomas. If we gave Cleveland the 2014 3rd rounder to move up in the 4th round (giving up two picks), then we would not have had the #115 overall pick that was used to draft Landry Jones.
    We can argue our accounting methods, but the way I see it, we had to use two picks to get Thomas. We used the one we got from Cleveland last year to actually draft him and we forfeited a pick this year. In my book that is two picks that equals a single player on the roster.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

We can argue our accounting methods, but the way I see it, we had to use two picks to get Thomas. We used the one we got from Cleveland last year to actually draft him and we forfeited a pick this year. In my book that is two picks that equals a single player on the roster.
    How is that two picks? We gave up one pick (our 2014 3rd rounder) to get one pick (Cleveland's 2013 4th rounder). It was a one-for-one swap. Then we used that one pick to take Thomas. Where is this mystical second pick coming from? I think your accounting methods were used by Enron, Bear Stearns, etc.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    How is that two picks? We gave up one pick (our 2014 3rd rounder) to get one pick (Cleveland's 2013 4th rounder). It was a one-for-one swap. Then we used that one pick to take Thomas. Where is this mystical second pick coming from? I think your accounting methods were used by Enron, Bear Stearns, etc.
    Were we missing a third round pick this year or not? You can't ignore we had to give that pick away to get Thomas. Last year and this year is two picks. You can't pretend like the missing pick this year in the third round wasn't part of the acquisition cost to get Thomas.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

We used the one we got from Cleveland last year to actually draft him and we forfeited a pick this year. In my book that is two picks that equals a single player on the roster.
    it's only one pick.

the pick we used to draft Shamarko last year was acquired for our 3rd rounder this year, a straight one for one swap.