Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The case FOR Harrison

Legend

User Info Menu

Trade Ben and his cap hit goes to 10 million this year.
    Extend him and trade him and his cap hit goes up even more.
    Please stop with the trading Ben dopey talk.
    No one is gutting the team, they're just going to release aging veterans with large salaries and not resign a disgruntled self proclaimed superstar wideout.
    Pap, people with spinal injuries don't get better with age.
    Believe me I've had two discs operated on and it's always there reminding you what you can and can't do any more.
    Couple that with Harrisons knees and it doesn't bode well for his future.
    Either him or Troy has to go.
    Pick your poison, you've watched all the games this year

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Trade Ben and his cap hit goes to 10 million this year.
    Extend him and trade him and his cap hit goes up even more.
    Please stop with the trading Ben dopey talk.
    No one is gutting the team, they're just going to release aging veterans with large salaries and not resign a disgruntled self proclaimed superstar wideout.
    Pap, people with spinal injuries don't get better with age.
    Believe me I've had two discs operated on and it's always there reminding you what you can and can't do any more.
    Couple that with Harrisons knees and it doesn't bode well for his future.
    Either him or Troy has to go.
    Pick your poison, you've watched all the games this year
    When you trade a player his contract goes with him I thought? Any portion of the signing bonus that hasn't been amortized I believe is the responsibility of the original team. I think the Steelers only have one more payment on his signing bonus, but not sure.

I see more than a few aging vets getting released: Hampton, Harrison, possibly Taylor and/or Polamalu. Wallace and Mendenhall are as good as gone and I don't see the funds being available for Keenan Lewis if he hits the market, which I'm certain that he will now that Sherman has made it known that he's a top corner in the game. Ben isn't going to be enough to be in the playoff hunt this year or the following year IMO and by then Ben will turning 33 the following season (2015).

He has value right now to a team with a good defense (which isn't going to be the Steelers once Colbert and Khan get the pen out), but no quarterback. A prime pick and a quarterback to hold the job for a few years would be a good deal in my opinion.

Either way, the way I see it the Steelers are in trouble for two years and hopefully, some young guns start playing up to the potential that the Steelers saw when they were drafted; the Steelers will need a good draft this year or next year. With Ben or without Ben I don't see the Steelers being competitive and its two more years of hits on Ben, his career will be winding sooner than we think from wear and tear. He's a tough SOB, but you can't continue to get pummeled like he does and continue to be on the field as you age.

I'd hate to see Ben go, I defended him in the past and I defended him this year, he's made Steeler football exciting for 9 years, but if his value can set the team up for the next 9 years it might be time to consider him as a commodity to be used to that end.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

When a player is traded, the years he has left gets accelerated.
    3 years left would be almost $10 million cap hit on BB.
    We will be fine and I bet ya we sign Lewis.
    I will not miss Mendy,Wallace,Hampton or Kiesel.
    We were 8-8 with them.
    Harrison will not be here unless he agrees to a pay cut.
    You don't trade a 31 year old franchise QB.
    Say it with me.
    You don't trade a31 year old franchise QB

Legend

User Info Menu

No matter how you slice it, this team still needs James and Troy to make a SuperBowl run. Hopefully picking #17 will give us the chance to get another one of these guys to carry our D for the next 10 years.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The past two seasons, neither Harrison nor Woodley have been healthy....

In 2011, up until the injury, Woodley was having a DPOY caliber season...if he can somehow get healthy and back to that form, THAT will be key to the success of the defense...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't want to downplay conditioning but a healthy Woodley makes our team better.
    Lets us all hope Woodley doesn't turn into Shawne Merriman " Lights out " who was a force is first 3 seasons then injuries sent his career downward.

We'll leave the light ON Lamar, get healthy, conditioned and ready to play like a wounded animal out for blood.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    When a player is traded, the years he has left gets accelerated.
    3 years left would be almost $10 million cap hit on BB.
    We will be fine and I bet ya we sign Lewis.
    I will not miss Mendy,Wallace,Hampton or Kiesel.
    We were 8-8 with them.
    Harrison will not be here unless he agrees to a pay cut.
    You don't trade a 31 year old franchise QB.
    Say it with me.
    You don't trade a 31 year old franchise QB
    We were 8-8 with Mendy, Wallace, Hampton, Kiesel and Harrison as you say. We were also 8-8 with Ben. So, trading Ben hits us 10 million this year, instead of the 20 million if he stays and it frees up the money he would count in 2014 and 2015. Just so you know, I'm simply playing devil's advocate here about trading Ben.

On the other hand, if the price were right I think the Steelers have to consider it. Ben wasn't able to make a difference this past year in determining whether the Steelers made the playoffs or not, with less of a supporting cast for the next two years until the younger players get up to speed, it will in all likelihood be more of the same. The one thing that could help tremendously is for the offensive line to stay healthy.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    We were 8-8 with Mendy, Wallace, Hampton, Kiesel and Harrison as you say. We were also 8-8 with Ben. So, trading Ben hits us 10 million this year, instead of the 20 million if he stays and it frees up the money he would count in 2014 and 2015. Just so you know, I'm simply playing devil's advocate here about trading Ben.

On the other hand, if the price were right I think the Steelers have to consider it. Ben wasn't able to make a difference this past year in determining whether the Steelers made the playoffs or not, with less of a supporting cast for the next two years until the younger players get up to speed, it will in all likelihood be more of the same. The one thing that could help tremendously is for the offensive line to stay healthy.

Pappy

We just need to expect that we won't be "top dog" in the AFC North for a couple of years but hopefully that makes us a hungrier dog.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We just need to expect that we won't be "top dog" in the AFC North for a couple of years but hopefully that makes us a hungrier dog.
    That's exactly right, with or without Ben it looks to be a couple down years, so, if a team is willing to part with their #1 pick and a backup quarterback that can hold the position for a couple years until the Steelers can potentially combine two #1 picks to move up and take the next quarterback for the Steelers is it worth it? My original point when I entered this thread was, if every other player on the roster is available to be cut, I'm not certain that Ben shouldn't be a consideration as well.

Now if Omar Khan waves the magic pen and figures out how to phase a couple more vets without completely gutting the team, then trading Ben would be a bad idea. But, if the cuts are as deep as many believe them to be, I think Ben should be on the table if the right opportunity arises.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That's exactly right, with or without Ben it looks to be a couple down years, so, if a team is willing to part with their #1 pick and a backup quarterback that can hold the position for a couple years until the Steelers can potentially combine two #1 picks to move up and take the next quarterback for the Steelers is it worth it? My original point when I entered this thread was, if every other player on the roster is available to be cut, I'm not certain that Ben shouldn't be a consideration as well.

Now if Omar Khan waves the magic pen and figures out how to phase a couple more vets without completely gutting the team, then trading Ben would be a bad idea. But, if the cuts are as deep as many believe them to be, I think Ben should be on the table if the right opportunity arises.

Pappy
    I like the thinking outside the box suggestion because that makes the board fun but I just remember the 20+ years of bad QBs that kept us out of the Super Bowl after Bradshaw was gone. Don't want to repeat that in a NFL that is significantly more dependent on QBs like it is now. I'll take our chances with Ben "until the wheels fall off."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"