Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bart Scott on Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    As a fan of Ben since he was a rookie I have often wondered how other great quarterbacks would play under the conditions in which Ben plays most every Sunday. This Super Bowl was probably as close to that simulation that you will ever see, there were times Manning had plenty of time, there were times he had an average amount of time and there times he had almost no time, he looked confused and at times inept.

Ben makes a silk purse out of a sow's ear more often than many fans want to believe. If Ben is playing in that game the Broncos have a chance, I don't think he over throws the first INT because of pressure, I'm almost certain he would have moved to avoid Avril walking the tackle back into him and I think he would have hit some plays. The game would have been competitive simply because of Ben's ability to avoid a pass rush. The Broncs probably still lose, the Seahawks did to Peyton what Ben has seen every Sunday for as long as I can remember.

Pappy
    The Seahawks woulda had to respect the deep ball with Ben. They looked great because they're fast and were defending a short field against Peyton. Ben woulda ripped that D apart with Thomas and Decker and his pump fake.

As good as Peyton was this season, that loss was on him. Put a QB like Ben, Brady, or Rodgers on the Broncos and that SuperBowl woulda been a blowout in the other direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The Seahawks woulda had to respect the deep ball with Ben. They looked great because they're fast and were defending a short field against Peyton. Ben woulda ripped that D apart with Thomas and Decker and his pump fake.

As good as Peyton was this season, that loss was on him. Put a QB like Ben, Brady, or Rodgers on the Broncos and that SuperBowl woulda been a blowout in the other direction.
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's. Even when teams go deep on the Seahawks you see the DB's in position to make plays most of the time.

If Ben or Rodgers were the Bronco's QB you would've seen a closer loss. No one was beating that Seahawks D on Sunday because the WR's were being punished after the catch.

I think John Fox is the one who should get most of the blame. They didn't game plan to beat a tough, young, aggressive D. They went out and treated this like another AFC West game.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's. Even when teams go deep on the Seahawks you see the DB's in position to make plays most of the time.

If Ben or Rodgers were the Bronco's QB you would've seen a closer loss. No one was beating that Seahawks D on Sunday because the WR's were being punished after the catch.

I think John Fox is the one who should get most of the blame. They didn't game plan to beat a tough, young, aggressive D. They went out and treated this like another AFC West game.

Agree with you on this one!

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree. The Broncos have a slew of good WRs and Seattle couldn't have covered them all if they had to defend a longer field imho. And as aggressive as they played, I think they'd have bit all day on the pump fake and really opened up the deep ball.

Not taking anything away from Seattle. They're good and glad they won. But I don't think they're as good as Peyton made them look. Look at who Seattle played all year and the only 2 franchise QBs they faced this season prior to the SuperBowl were Brees and Manning. None of them being particularly big armed QBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gotta agree.
    Flippy, I share you view that Bens skills would fare better than Manning, but please don't think he would shred that defense.
    Save for ONE DRIVE Ben has been nothing special in 3 Superbowls against average to BAD defenses.
    Peyton got picked twice, that is a typical SB for Ben against average players.

Against a great defense? We would get crushed, Ben throws multiple picks against these ball hawks.

Ben could however make more plays than Manning did for the reasons Flippy gives. But he would make plenty of mistakes looking at his history.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

you are tripping... it wouldn't have been a blowout if Brady was the QB. Rodgers and Ben could keep the game close but they would also struggle due to the DB's being big, fast and blanketing WR's.........
    Those Seattle DB's may be big and physical but none of them are "fast".
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

great post, pap

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Those Seattle DB's may be big and physical but none of them are "fast".
    They are fast enough...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can they stick with the receivers long enough while Ben dances around would be tacklers?
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Can they stick with the receivers long enough while Ben dances around would be tacklers?
    Kapernick was 14-24 for 147 1TD 2INT's...

Not saying Kap is Ben but he can avoid a rush and throw the ball downfield... and most times the DB's were still in coverage.

I stand by my opinion that the score would've been a little closer but then you have to figure in the run... Lynch would've ran all over our Rush D.