Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Room For Error In 2013 Steelers Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No Room For Error In 2013 Steelers Draft

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3508772-74/steelers-running-draft#axzz2LoUgMqQc[/url]

I guess the article suggests we have to hit it right in this years draft especially the early rounds. The reality is no matter who you draft they are prospects with no guarantee, we seen both sides of that with number one busts and the best of it when we drafted Pouncey.

The article mentions Lacy, but is he really a first round running back? It also mentions how he got more attention after his play in the Notre Dame game. If he is there when we pick which is a strong possibility, I don't think he'll be the BPA at 17 and would pass on him in round one. We can still get a good back in round two or after, its not like Lacy is Adrian Peterson plus he had one of the best lines in front of him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    [URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3508772-74/steelers-running-draft#axzz2LoUgMqQc[/URL]

I guess the article suggests we have to hit it right in this years draft especially the early rounds. The reality is no matter who you draft they are prospects with no guarantee, we seen both sides of that with number one busts and the best of it when we drafted Pouncey.

The article mentions Lacy, but is he really a first round running back? It also mentions how he got more attention after his play in the Notre Dame game. If he is there when we pick which is a strong possibility, I don't think he'll be the BPA at 17 and would pass on him in round one. We can still get a good back in round two or after, its not like Lacy is Adrian Peterson plus he had one of the best lines in front of him.
    I completely agree with this. The Steelers have had too many middle round average players. So it is possible offensive and defensive schemes can sometimes help hide weakness, but when there are multiple positions of weakness it doesn't bode well for success.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One thing I think has really hurt us is drafting Ziggy and Cam in the first round. 3-4 DE should not be that difficult to find and if you are dropping first round picks on them you better damn well be sure they are absolutely dominant. Neither are. Heyward barely has seen the field and Hood is a disappointment.
    @_Hellgrammite

Administrator

User Info Menu

I like Lacy (Alabama) and Hopkins (Clemson) and wouldn't mind the Steelers drafting either one. I think both will have very good NFL careers.

Watching the combine this morning, Mayock said Hopkins might be a 2nd rounder. Lacy might be a 2nd rounder as well. Are they a reach at 1.17? Who knows. Will either be around by the time we select 2.17? Probably not.

It's easy to say "let's trade down". That's much easier said than done.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers successes and failures in the draft are no different that any of the other top teams. They may not be #1 or #2 but they are definitely in the Top 5-10.

Reference Lacy, I would not touch him or any other RB in Round 1. The position as utilized in the NFL doesn't warrant it anymore. A OL in Round 1 would be much more valuable as would a WR or TE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

It's easy to say "let's trade down". That's much easier said than done.
    Why do you say that? NE does it all the time. How hard can it be?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Steelers successes and failures in the draft are no different that any of the other top teams. They may not be #1 or #2 but they are definitely in the Top 5-10.

Reference Lacy, I would not touch him or any other RB in Round 1. The position as utilized in the NFL doesn't warrant it anymore. A OL in Round 1 would be much more valuable as would a WR or TE.
    Their most recent drafts are not that great, even though the Steelers arrogantly act like they are the pope of draft town.

I am not even considering 2012, as it is far too early to tell how bad or good that draft was. DD could still be the perenial all pro we thought, Adams could be a solid LT for the next 12 years, Spense could bounce back from his knee injury, T'amu could still pan out. It could still be a great draft, in my opinion. Maybe not, but it could be.

That being said, Colbert and company HAVE crapped the bed in other recent drafts.

1 31 Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State - Could still be good, but not setting world on fire.
    2 63 Marcus Gilbert T Florida - same
    3 95 Curtis Brown DB Texas - sucks
    4 128 Cortez Allen DB The Citadel - could be decent
    5 162 Chris Carter LB Fresno State - piece of crap
    6 196 Keith Williams G Nebraska - worthless
    7 232 Baron Batch RB Texas Tech - nothing to write home about

1 18 Maurkice Pouncey C Florida - solid
    2 52 Jason Worilds LB Virginia Tech- verging on becoming decent
    3 82 Emmanuel Sanders WR Southern Methodist - not bad
    4 116 Thaddeus Gibson LB Ohio State - worthless
    5 151 Chris Scott T Tennessee - really horrible
    5 164 Crezdon Butler DB Clemson - stinks
    5 166 Stevenson Sylvester LB Utah - purely a special teamer
    6 188 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech - good value
    6 195 Antonio Brown WR Central Michigan - best hit of class
    7 242 Doug Worthington DE Ohio State - who?

1 32 Ziggy Hood DT Missouri - mostly a disappointment
    3 79 Kraig Urbik T Wisconsin - FAIL
    3 84 Mike Wallace WR Mississippi - a hit for a few years, ended up being an @ hole
    3 96 Keenan Lewis DB Oregon State - hit
    5 168 Joe Burnett DB Central Florida - stinks
    5 169 Frank Summers RB Nevada-Las Vegas - nobody
    6 205 Ra'Shon Harris DT Oregon - worthless
    7 226 A.Q. Shipley C Penn State - wasted pick
    7 241 David Johnson TE Arkansas State - so so

1 23 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois - underachiever
    2 53 Limas Sweed WR Texas - complete bust
    3 88 Bruce Davis LB UCLA - worthless, wasted pick
    4 130 Tony Hills T Texas - see above
    5 156 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon - didn't pan out
    6 188 Mike Humpal OLB Iowa - sucks
    6 194 Ryan Mundy FS West Virginia - horrible

I don't know, there were some decent picks, but don't tell me that is superior drafting. It isn't. They had tons of really bad picks in there. Everyone has picks that miss, but they had more than a team should for a team that acts all cocky about their drafting. Fact is, they don't deserve to act so smug - the above draft classes are nothing to rave about.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One thing I don't understand is the two first round picks on Pgh's 3-4, which uses DEs as pluggers and cloggers. They rarely used such high picks at DE and, quite frankly, both Hood and Heyward are looking like poor decisions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

If an Adrian Peterson was there that would be different, but there is no back worth a 1st round selection in this draft, also even if we select a TE, WR, OR OL they have to be worthy as well. The only can't miss selection I see is *Warmack*, Fisher, or possibly Cooper especially Warmack. He Starts day one on the Steelers, improves the run game, and a bookend player with Pouncey to the Pro Bowl.

BPA @ 17 if he is there, will be Warmack over any other position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Why do you say that? NE does it all the time. How hard can it be?
    Geez. Gotta have some team that wants to trade with you. Sometimes its not that easy to find a dance partner. However, with the 17th pick, you'd think it would be easier than say a pick in the 20's... Where we and NE usually pick every year....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion