Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uh Oh...

Legend

User Info Menu

Uh Oh...

Checked a few sites this morning. Both Walter Football and Kiper had the Steelers as day 1 winners (Kiper also had Bengals as a winner). Here is what Kiper said:

[URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers"][URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers"]Pittsburgh Steelers[/URL][/URL]
    The pick: [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29247/jarvis-jones"]Jarvis Jones[/URL], No. 17
    Summary: The Steelers saw the board set up really well. I thought they might be split between Jones and [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29260/tyler-eifert"]Tyler Eifert[/URL], but they really need another pass-rusher, and when the guy who led the country in sacks and tackles for loss -- and he did it against plenty of SEC competition -- is sitting there at No. 17, you take him. Jones was No. 1 on my Big Board for much of the year, but dipped some during the evaluation process after not working out in Indy and then not running well at his pro day. Well, turns out he's better wearing football pads than Under Armour. Love the value here.
    I always worry when the pundits declare you an immediate post-draft winner because they are wrong so often...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd take them over the so-called forum pundits we have here already crapping on the pick

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If you are soured because the Steelers took Jones and not your guy and are hoping he is a bust you don't belong as a Steeler fan. I was one who wasn't pro Jones but he is a Steeler now and that is what matters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If you are soured because the Steelers took Jones and not your guy and are hoping he is a bust you don't belong as a Steeler fan. I was one who wasn't pro Jones but he is a Steeler now and that is what matters.
    Totally agree. Didn't want the pick but now hope he makes the Pro Bowl
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am taking the negativity on this board toward our first round pick as a very good sign. The last time I remember steeler message boards blowing up with enthusiasm over our 1st round pick was Rashard Mendenhall and David DeCastro. We already know the ending with Rashard and as much as we still have high hopes for DeCastro he certainly hasn't shown anything to be excited about. Yeah! I'm feeling pretty good about JJ....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Totally agree. Didn't want the pick but now hope he makes the Pro Bowl
    I'm there too...

Starter

User Info Menu

Im thrilled with the pick. Day 1 starter at one of our weakest positions IMHO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    I am taking the negativity on this board toward our first round pick as a very good sign. The last time I remember steeler message boards blowing up with enthusiasm over our 1st round pick was Rashard Mendenhall and David DeCastro. We already know the ending with Rashard and as much as we still have high hopes for DeCastro he certainly hasn't shown anything to be excited about. Yeah! I'm feeling pretty good about JJ....
    and the flip... the last time people complained so much was for Troy "Bustamalu"....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    and the flip... the last time people complained so much was for Troy "Bustamalu"....
    I think I heard a whole lot more complaining about Ziggy than I ever did about Troy or JJ today. That's just in the last few years. Most of the Nation seems really happy with last nights turn of events.

Legend

User Info Menu

For those who didn't want this pick - may I ask why? I fully understand there are no guarantees (I bet all of us watching the draft last night saw a minimum of 10 guys who won't live up to being a #1 pick) but since college ball is the only resume that can be used - his is off the charts. A captain on the #7 team in the nation. Playing in the toughest conference in the country. All-American. 1st team All-SEC. Defensive player of the year in the SEC. More sacs and tackles for loss than any player in the entire nation. I mean damn... what's player got to do to get approval? Are the standards really so high that a 2 time All-American gets sh*t all over by Steelers fans. I admit to being shocked by the number of people who think the Steelers made a mistake. This is the guy Colbert and Tomlin have publicly stated they have been after for months.