Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Megatron hurting?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    A tanker is someone who wants their team to lose so they can get a good draft pick... I kinda made it up.

A BIG win this year does nothing for our playoff chances next year. Every year is different and all the teams change due to turnover and parity. A win this week with or without Megatron keeps us in the hunt regardless of how bad we are and that's OK by me.

..and remember beating the Ravens last year with Batch? How did that work out for our confidence this year?
    Well since I spent my military career as a "tanker" I guess I might as well be one as a fan too. Count me in the group of those who want a chance at a premium draft pick versus a meaningless 6-10 or 7-9 record. After all look how badly it worked out for the Penguins when they "tanked" and got Lemieux.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I like to listen to Wolfe and Tunch. They talk alot about the mentality of a football team. They talk about why, even when statistically you are out of it, you don't start rookies...you don't "tank" a season. I agree with that. That mentality effects the next. This is coming from guys who have played the game at the NFL level. They believe there is something to how you play a losing season that builds or destroys your next season. So, with that in mind. I want the Steelers to play some heavy hitters and win. I do believe it can build momentum going into next season.
    Yes, 99% of players don't want to tank and want the best vets on the field. But, at some point, management needs to think about the future. If guys like Wheaton, Moye, Thomas, Fangupo, and co. could play more, it may accelerate their development. In the least, we may see what we have in these guys which would help develop the teams plan for the future.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not for tanking. I think you have to try to win all the time to build the culture of success. But at the same time, I don't know why you don't try to get some of the younger guys/unknowns some reps so you can see what you have going forward.

For example, do we really need to dress a couple of the ST only guys? I think ST could get by without some of them so that an extra young player or 2 can get a hat on gamedays. Can't we just replace our ST stars with another LB, DB, WR. Is that really going to be that big of a drop off or injury risk?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well since I spent my military career as a "tanker" I guess I might as well be one as a fan too. Count me in the group of those who want a chance at a premium draft pick versus a meaningless 6-10 or 7-9 record. After all look how badly it worked out for the Penguins when they "tanked" and got Lemieux.
    Yeah... thats all you. I could see if we were 1960 bad and we had a shot at a Marino or Mean Joe Greene.

Football isnt hockey either and its much easier for a great hockey player or basketball player to take over a game. Let the chips fall where they mat but weve done pretty well without tanking in football.

I prefer the existing model even though it means we probably have to wait another 2 years to get back to a SB. Oh the horrors this team has seen over the last 10 years. Lol...

How did we ever get to such a low point? smh... now we need to tank games and omly win against full strength teams to be legit.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    But, if they beat a healthy Lions team...well now that holds some weight. That
    just maybe could be the thing the Steelers need to have a good run on the rest of this season. .
    Nothing against your point, it just strikes me funny how beating the Lions could strengthen our season. It used to be the other way around. Stupid NFL.

Starter

User Info Menu

yeah, i hope Rodgers is ready for us as well.. we need all the odds against us, to play steeler football, huh?
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tomlin's so-called "The standard is the standard" philosophy is applicable to every team in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Yes, 99% of players don't want to tank and want the best vets on the field. But, at some point, management needs to think about the future. If guys like Wheaton, Moye, Thomas, Fangupo, and co. could play more, it may accelerate their development. In the least, we may see what we have in these guys which would help develop the teams plan for the future.
    I would agree about getting these guys some more PT. I'm a huge Moye and Thomas fan. I think they have both earned a little more PT. But, I wouldn't clear the bench.
    Trolls are people too.