Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: GM Colbert: Steelers are not old or in transition

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That's exactly the point. Ravens had not fallen to being an 8-8 team prior to this year. Like Colbert said, when you go 12-4 and are contending for a ring, you tend to do everything to keep that group together, as Pgh and Balt had done the last several years, as both were contending for a title. Balt. proved that they made the right choice by keeping their group together, as Pgh proved they were right to do so all the way up to this season. Now it appears Pgh most likely needs to get rid of some of the old guys, as they just stunk it up for much of the season. I would love for Pgh to resemble a team like Seattle, who is young and really coming on. And the Pats, Packers and Vikings are all in the top 7 youngest teams as well. When Dallas their first SB in their 90s run, in 1993, they were the youngest team in the entire NFL.
    But as it was the Ravens only had 10 wins, two more than us. What if they lost Flacco for three games? There wins were narrow as it was. They are 8-8 or even worse.

What if Ben was not injured? Not only did we lose two very winnable games in division (we win the north if that happens) Ben was not right after he came back.

Pre-injury Roethlisberger had completed 66.1 percent of his passes for 2,287 yards, 17 touchdowns and only four interceptions and had been sacked a surprisingly low 18 times.

It took Ben all of THREE GAMES after injury to throw as many picks as he threw all season prior to his injury.

The Ravens were horrible down the stretch, we easily win this division if not for the injury to Ben.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-22-2013 at 02:01 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But as it was the Ravens only had 10 wins, two more than us. What if they lost Flacco for three games? There wins were narrow as it was. They are 8-8 or even worse.

What if Ben was not injured? Not only did we lose two very winnable games in division (we win the north if that happens) Ben was not right after he came back.

Pre-injury Roethlisberger had completed 66.1 percent of his passes for 2,287 yards, 17 touchdowns and only four interceptions and had been sacked a surprisingly low 18 times.

It took Ben all of THREE GAMES after injury to throw as many picks as he threw all season prior to his injury.

The Ravens were horrible down the stretch, we easily win this division if not for the injury to Ben.
    What if our ST didn't allow a TD return against Baltimore. What if our D wasn't owned by Carson Palmer? What if the refs spotted Ray Rice's missed 4th down conversion vs San Diego? What if the cops located Ray Lewis' bloody white suit?

We could what if indefinitely. And there's a million of them that were by the skin of the Raven's teeth. Same for us when we won our SuperBowls.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You can do the "what if, shoulda coulda woulda" about almost any team, any season. The fact is, our 8-8 was much more horrid than their 10-6; they had tons of people out with injury in their bad stretch too. Fact is, they righted their ship and went on to upset THREE teams on route to the title. They were underdogs against Denver, Pats and SF. They beat them all. People could knit pick out awesome 2005 run as well. "Pgh could have easily lost the X and Z games and they would have not even made the play offs!" We could have lost that game to the Ravens that we barely won, 20-19. Or, many can appropriately point out that we got so many gift calls in the SB, and without them, would have lost. The offensive pass interference on Seattle's TD was total bull s---t. You know it. I know it. Not only did Pgh go 8-8 but they folded as the season went on. All we had to do was win just ONE of the season deciding games vs. Cinci or Dallas and couldn't win either. We lost to the likes of Cle, SD, Oak and TN! Moving forward, I don't know if Balt. will be better than Pgh in 2013, but make no mistake, they were the better team in 2012. They are world champs. But even though they won it all, I think the writing is on the wall for a youth movement with them too. Ray is done. Ed could be. Boldin is up there. Nagti doesn't have much time left. But unlike Pgh, Balt. appears to have drafted some decent talent in the last few years so they may not have to rebuild on a level that Pgh does.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What if our ST didn't allow a TD return against Baltimore. What if our D wasn't owned by Carson Palmer? What if the refs spotted Ray Rice's missed 4th down conversion vs San Diego? What if the cops located Ray Lewis' bloody white suit?

We could what if indefinitely. And there's a million of them that were by the skin of the Raven's teeth. Same for us when we won our SuperBowls.
    Exactly. We can do it all day, to either team's title runs. Like Jim Rome says, "SCOREBOARD." End of story. That's all that matters at the end of the season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry...

Here, I thought we were referring to starters...now, why would I think that? Oh, that's right...because WE WERE REFERRING TO STARTERS...

Pittsburgh had 8 starters over 30 while the Pats had 7...my point still stands...
    Pgh actually has 11 of their starters from 2012 30 or over. Starks, Ben, Troy, Hampton, Keisel, Colon, Ike, Harrison, Foote, Clark and Miller. BOINGGGGGGGGGGGGG! Ding, ding, ding.....wwwwrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....pop, pop........beep beep. Roll your eyes at that. ROTMFFLMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

You are correct Flippy.
    That is why the idea that we need to wholesale scrap this team for young scrubs has no validity. That is why DL is absolutely correct. There is a fine line between 8-8 and a 10-6 SB champion.

I'm not talking dozens of variables just one, Ben.

We had the number one defense and lost TWO GAMES where we gave up THIRTEEN POINTS to the victor.
    Now is not the time to trash our defense for being"too old". Now is not the time to think this team is done.

DL is right, and it is not just excuses.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are correct Flippy.
    That is why the idea that we need to wholesale scrap this team for young scrubs has no validity. That is why DL is absolutely correct. There is a fine line between 8-8 and a 10-6 SB champion.

We had the number one defense and lost TWO GAMES where we gave up THIRTEEN POINTS to the victor.
    Now is not the time to trash our defense for being"too old". Now is not the time to think this team is done.

You are making a straw man argument. I haven't seen a single person advocate a massive, wholesale change of players any where in this thread. But the team is old. 11 starters from last year are now over 30. 11. And not only did we go 8-8 but it was an ugly 8-8, not the kind of 8-8 where the team was on the rise, but, conversely, kept getting more embarrassing. With loses to Cle, Oak, SD and TN, and with very losable games to Philly, KC and Jets, this team appeared fairly pathetic. One of the worst 8-8 seasons I have seen. While I, nor anyone I have seen, is preaching for a massive cut of players, as Colbert said, when you go 8-8 you are being delusional if you think that same cast of characters will make a run for a title. Let's not be delusional. Hampton and Colon are no brainers. Casey can barely walk, and I mean that literally. Colon is a fatso with a body that will keep breaking down forever (3 years in a row now?). Will Troy EVER have a healthy season EVER again? Doubt it. Clark is old. Harrison might be able to squeeze one more season, or at least, I hope so. We don't need to cut a dozen starters on a youth movement, but they sure as sh-t better get rid of some of the old guys, or we have no chance at contending for a ring for many years. Zero.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You are correct Flippy.

Right you are. The Defense came into their own as the season was winding down. A healthy Ben and just a little better running game change the equation entirely. Unfortunately, the Steelers are in a position where they can't simply make a few tweaks and hope to stay healthy. The cap situation seems to indicate major changes regardless of last years record.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You are making a straw man argument. I haven't seen a single person advocate a massive, wholesale change of players any where in this thread. But the team is old. 11 starters from last year are now over 30. 11. And not only did we go 8-8 but it was an ugly 8-8, not the kind of 8-8 where the team was on the rise, but, conversely, kept getting more embarrassing. With loses to Cle, Oak, SD and TN, and with very losable games to Philly, KC and Jets, this team appeared fairly pathetic. One of the worst 8-8 seasons I have seen. While I, nor anyone I have seen, is preaching for a massive cut of players, as Colbert said, when you go 8-8 you are being delusional if you think that same cast of characters will make a run for a title. Let's not be delusional. Hampton and Colon are no brainers. Casey can barely walk, and I mean that literally. Colon is a fatso with a body that will keep breaking down forever (3 years in a row now?). Will Troy EVER have a healthy season EVER again? Doubt it. Clark is old. Harrison might be able to squeeze one more season, or at least, I hope so. We don't need to cut a dozen starters on a youth movement, but they sure as sh-t better get rid of some of the old guys, or we have no chance at contending for a ring for many years. Zero.
    Getting younger won't guarantee the team will be better, what makes a team better is the talent they have producing on the field.
    We haven't seen that from several young players this season, don't need to mention names we know who they are.
    When an older player can't perform his duties then I agree, the team has to make changes, however it still comes back to performance not age.

Legend

User Info Menu

You are correct Flippy.

So being young makes you a "scrub?" I think we have very good young players many of whom would step up and play well if they were in full-time roles versus bits and pieces here and there. It's not like the vets who can't play 16 games are making a difference and they are sucking up a whole lot more in financial resources that is crippling our ability to make personnel moves.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"