Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Foote Back on Three Year Deal

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Personally, I'm ready to move on from the Foote era with Spence, Williams, or someone else.
    So cut Foote and replace him with either a guy who cant run or a 6th round draft pick? That's what I love about this forum, its filled with imaginative ideas.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    So cut Foote and replace him with either a guy who cant run or a 6th round draft pick? That's what I love about this forum, its filled with imaginative ideas.
    Based on reports I've seen, Spence can run. As far as Williams goes, I don't care what round he was drafted in. By that same logic, Harrison should have never started OLB for us because he was UDFA.

I wouldn't cut him this year but I would probably do so next year. Then, I'd have an open competition for the starting spot and let Spence, Williams, McFadden, etc and possibly another rookie fight it out.

Foote is a good leader, knows the defense and is consistent, I'll give him that but it's time to move on. Get some young blood in there.... I don't think we'll see much of a drop off IMO.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Tomlin thought the same thing when he sat Starks and started Jonathan Scott at LT. They needed some young blood and of course there was no drop off....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Tomlin thought the same thing when he sat Starks and started Jonathan Scott at LT. They needed some young blood and of course there was no drop off....
    No, that was just a poor personnel decision. Just like it was a poor personnel decision to not sign Starks this year.

Scott is one year younger than Starks. That's hardly making the change because of a need for "young blood". Starks just seems old because he's been around the Steelers forever. Starks was just 28 when he was "replaced" by Scott. It had nothing to do with getting younger.

On the other hand, Foote will be 34 next season.

Spence and Vince Williams are 10 years younger than Foote

Marshall McFadden is 6 years younger than Foote

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    No, that was just a poor personnel decision. Just like it was a poor personnel decision to not sign Starks this year.

Scott is one year younger than Starks. That's hardly making the change because of a need for "young blood". Starks just seems old because he's been around the Steelers forever. Starks was just 28 when he was "replaced" by Scott. It had nothing to do with getting younger.

On the other hand, Foote will be 34 next season.

Spence and Vince Williams are 10 years younger than Foote

Marshall McFadden is 6 years younger than Foote
    It isn't just an age thing. People want the leading tackler cut because he's been around a long time. Spence may never play again but you are willing to throw away all that Foote does for him? Foote calls the defense and lead the team in tackles. Vince Williams has how many NFL tackles? Same with McFadden who has 1 NFL tackle. People act like Lbers just grow on trees. Just plug them in and they'll be just as good as the guy they are replacing. Why not replace Keisel with Heyward? Or should Heyward beat him out of the job?

Do you realize that Miller is 7 years older than Paulson? Let cut him as well. It's just nuts.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It isn't just an age thing. People want the leading tackler cut because he's been around a long time. Spence may never play again but you are willing to throw away all that Foote does for him? Foote calls the defense and lead the team in tackles. Vince Williams has how many NFL tackles? Same with McFadden who has 1 NFL tackle. People act like Lbers just grow on trees. Just plug them in and they'll be just as good as the guy they are replacing. Why not replace Keisel with Heyward? Or should Heyward beat him out of the job?

Do you realize that Miller is 7 years older than Paulson? Let cut him as well. It's just nuts.
    Your missing the point. FOOTE ISN'T THAT GOOD. He's never been that good and he never will be. Add to that, he isn't getting any younger. We already let him go once and it'll happen again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Look I hear what you are saying. He doesn't make a ton of splash plays and he does have age against him. But football is a team sport and he is definitely an integral part of the system...a very successful system at that. Right now he is getting the job done better than any of the up and comers we have below him on the depth chart and I really believe he has earned his way into a leadership position. Within a few years he will be replaced by a very capable player, I just don't believe now is the appropriate time to pull the trigger.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Look I hear what you are saying. He doesn't make a ton of splash plays and he does have age against him. But football is a team sport and he is definitely an integral part of the system...a very successful system at that. Right now he is getting the job done better than any of the up and comers we have below him on the depth chart and I really believe he has earned his way into a leadership position. Within a few years he will be replaced by a very capable player, I just don't believe now is the appropriate time to pull the trigger.
    I didn't say now. I said that next year is a possibility depending on how the coaching staff feels about these younger guys.