Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drafting Strategy - Need vs Best Player Available

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I wonder if they adjust the bubbles as the draft unfolds? For example, let's say we draft a FS in round 1. Do we take FS out of all the other bubbles? And does our 13th player take his place in the bubble for that round?

I agree too that there's gotta be some BPA at position of need that goes into the picks. But I wonder how that balances out. Let's say for example, I have Ray Rice on my roster. And AP in in the draft and no one's picked him yet. What do the Steelers do? ie. when is a guy too good to pass up even though you don't need him?
    I would assume that unless you have a need for 2 future starters at that position you don't draft them back to back rounds 1-4. After that depth comes into consideration for the remaining rounds.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    QB and DE are out.

Other than that? I'd say everything else is in play.
    Do you think we need another Center early?

Legend

User Info Menu

And then move Pouncey to LG for good? Sure.

I prefer Pouncey at LG. IMO he'd be Alan Faneca all over again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Would the Steelers be better served solving need through FA and purely getting the best players they can at any position in the draft. I think that's the goal, just not sure it works perfectly

The problem is we don't have the cash to sign anyone thats good in the FA market, unless they sign stumble bums.
    I believe they sign their own or as many as they can and the rest through the draft
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post

Would the Steelers be better served solving need through FA and purely getting the best players they can at any position in the draft. I think that's the goal, just not sure it works perfectly

The problem is we don't have the cash to sign anyone thats good in the FA market, unless they sign stumble bums.
    I believe they sign their own or as many as they can and the rest through the draft
    To be fair- not all "Stumble Bums" are equal. For example- the Steelers signing of Brian Rolle... not a big name player, for sure- but at the vet minimum, if he beats out Stevenson Sylvester- that's a good investment.

Will Johnson last year is another example of money well spent.

Or Plaxico.. vet minimum does not always equate to minimum output. They could get Plax back at a very reasonable cost, and he could probably do what Cotchery did for us at $1.5m. That's good investment.

Steelers should look long & hard at Chris Cooley to fill in/take up the slack until Heath is fit.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

I'd be happy with a WR at 17. Not sure what kinda grade this years WR draft class is getting, but another weapon for Ben sounds good. A TE is also fine.
    A RB, but I would rather not. Unless its a guarantee.

A LB of any kind.

I really hope a kick ass CB is there at 17.
    I would be ok with a S as well.

I was against an interior O-Lineman just because we have focused on that with early picks recently. Could say the same for OT(2nd rndrs being an early pick in my book).
    Pretty much how I feel with DEs. Especially with D. L. comin back. High picks used on that position recently.

I am cool with a bad ass NT to team with Mcclendon.

I also feel like this team could use a stud that can visibly make an impact. Players get lost in the trenches. But not RBs, WRs/te, CBs/s and LBs. I know its hard to get on the field as a rookie with this defensive system D. L. runs, but we havent used a 1st rnd pick on a CB in a long frickin time. We would be wise to finally take one, especially in this age of football.

I'm fine with having systems in place for drafting, as long as you have the ability to deviate from that system when something comes up. NOT locked in is what I'm sayin.

I dont like being the 3rd best team out of 4.

I am for trading up or down and doing whatever to move out of that position and upward.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I'd be happy with a WR at 17. Not sure what kinda grade this years WR draft class is getting, but another weapon for Ben sounds good. A TE is also fine.
    A RB, but I would rather not. Unless its a guarantee.

A LB of any kind.

I really hope a kick ass CB is there at 17.
    I would be ok with a S as well.

I was against an interior O-Lineman just because we have focused on that with early picks recently. Could say the same for OT(2nd rndrs being an early pick in my book).
    Pretty much how I feel with DEs. Especially with D. L. comin back. High picks used on that position recently.

I am cool with a bad ass NT to team with Mcclendon.

I also feel like this team could use a stud that can visibly make an impact. Players get lost in the trenches. But not RBs, WRs/te, CBs/s and LBs. I know its hard to get on the field as a rookie with this defensive system D. L. runs, but we havent used a 1st rnd pick on a CB in a long frickin time. We would be wise to finally take one, especially in this age of football.

I'm fine with having systems in place for drafting, as long as you have the ability to deviate from that system when something comes up. NOT locked in is what I'm sayin.

I dont like being the 3rd best team out of 4.

I am for trading up or down and doing whatever to move out of that position and upward.
    I agree with everything but TE.

I still am leaning towards Eric Reid. He would see the field immediately in sub packages. I think WR, NT, ILB/OLB are also possibilities.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

WE NEED SPEED, especially on defense and special teams!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    To be fair- not all "Stumble Bums" are equal. For example- the Steelers signing of Brian Rolle... not a big name player, for sure- but at the vet minimum, if he beats out Stevenson Sylvester- that's a good investment.

Will Johnson last year is another example of money well spent.

Or Plaxico.. vet minimum does not always equate to minimum output. They could get Plax back at a very reasonable cost, and he could probably do what Cotchery did for us at $1.5m. That's good investment.

Steelers should look long & hard at Chris Cooley to fill in/take up the slack until Heath is fit.
    Cooley and Miller are completely different types of TEs. Cooley could not do what Heath is asked to do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Cooley and Miller are completely different types of TEs. Cooley could not do what Heath is asked to do.
    Not suggesting he's a 'complete' TE, Ovi- but he is a pass catching one.

Someone has to make up Miller's 70+ catches- and it won't be Pope.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE