Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I sure hope that if Cordy Gleen falls to the Steelers...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yeah but by doing this you will then make T the weakest position. And that is the one position that could get Ben killed. The premier pass rusher come from there...hello? Like Terrel Suggs, DeMarcus Ware, Von Miller, Brian Orakpo, Osi Umenyiori, Jean Pierre-Paul, etc. All of whom are on the Steelers schedule next year.

We dont even know if Gilbert can handle LT. My guess is he will struggle there.
    We don't know if Glenn can handle LT either. At least Gilbert has faced NFL pass rushers before (albeit at RT, but he has NFL experience that Glenn does not). In Glenn's first game at LT this season, he got eaten alive by Shea McClellin and Boise St. You want to start him at LT in his first game as a rookie against Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller, and the Denver Broncos in prime time?

If we are lucky enough to get him, I would start him off at guard. If Gilbert or Colon gets a minor in-game injury, I'd use Jon Scott to replace them for the time being (you don't want to have to make 2 moves to fill one spot). But if either Gilbert or Scott are out long-term, then kick Glenn out to tackle and insert Legursky back into the starting lineup at guard. Glenn may have the talent to be a starting tackle for us long-term, but I'd let him earn his NFL stripes by kicking some butt on the inside, before ultimately trying him out on the outside.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I suspect he will be long gone. But he is the guy I want.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    We don't know if Glenn can handle LT either. At least Gilbert has faced NFL pass rushers before (albeit at RT, but he has NFL experience that Glenn does not). In Glenn's first game at LT this season, he got eaten alive by Shea McClellin and Boise St. You want to start him at LT in his first game as a rookie against Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller, and the Denver Broncos in prime time?

If we are lucky enough to get him, I would start him off at guard. If Gilbert or Colon gets a minor in-game injury, I'd use Jon Scott to replace them for the time being (you don't want to have to make 2 moves to fill one spot). But if either Gilbert or Scott are out long-term, then kick Glenn out to tackle and insert Legursky back into the starting lineup at guard. Glenn may have the talent to be a starting tackle for us long-term, but I'd let him earn his NFL stripes by kicking some butt on the inside, before ultimately trying him out on the outside.
    I am pretty certain he can. If you can do it in the SEC ( and dominate at it), in only one year of ever playing that position, you can do it it the NFL.

Have we already forgotten how he dominated Coples, Ingram, and Upshaw at the Senior Bowl? The 3 best pass rushers in this draft?

Ya get the feeling that if the Steelers landed Orlando Pace...Steeler fans would want to put him at guard?
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 04-19-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I am pretty certain he can. If you can do it in the SEC ( and dominate at it), in only one year of ever playing that position, you can do it it the NFL.

Have we already forgotten how he dominated Coples, Ingram, and Upshaw at the Senior Bowl? The 3 best pass rushers in this draft?

Ya get the feeling that if the Steelers landed Orlando Pace...Steeler fans would want to put him at guard?
    He did not dominate them. He held his own. They beat him up a bit in early practices and he improved as the week went along. His overall play in Mobile was generally impressive (his stock was pointing up afterward, which is all that you could ask for), but if he did as well as you claim, he would be battling Kalil for the top tackle off the board (and he isn't close to that).

I like Glenn. I would love if we were able to draft him (either by him dropping to us or via a reasonably trade-up). But if we did manage to get him, and started him from day one, I think he would receive a C grade if he played left tackle for us as a rookie, a B grade if he played right tackle for us as a rookie, and an A grade if he played guard for us as a rookie. This is not to say that he couldn't be a top option for us at tackle in the future, but this is how I would handle it as a rookie.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that I think if he played left tackle as a rookie, he'd be an average NFL left tackle with the potential to become a good left tackle in the future. I think if he played right tackle as a rookie, he'd be a good NFL right tackle with the potential to become a very good right tackle in the future. I think if he played guard as a rookie, he'd be a very good NFL guard with the potential to become an excellent guard in the future.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Adams just guarenteed that both Jonathon Martin & Cordy Glenn will be much, much harder for the Steelers to get their hands on.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers draft Glenn...You have an open competition at LT with Gilbert going into camp as the starter and Glenn will also see time at LG. We all know Legursky & Foster's jobs will be theirs to lose going into camp no matter who they draft. The roster is set that way right now and the Steelers conduct the competition from incumbent to challenger. When it is all said & done...Glenn will be one of the best 5 going into week one and he will have a home. We all saw Gilbert play RT at a high level. Gilbert also played G in college and if you remember...Before the Colon injury he was in position to challange at G. Gilbert has a destination but how the draft falls may determine his home. The characteristic of a Steeler OL is flexibility and it holds true to the current group.

The Steelers already have their eye on this years "Gilbert". His name is Bobby Massie. He is a RT playing in a LT's body. I don't think the Steelers feel Martin and Glenn will drop to them. If one was there...I think it would be an easy choice for them. Adam's blunder is being reported as fully disclosed to teams by Adams. This appears to be the case. That would make more sense to me given his play & background as it relates to the Steelers interest. I believe now they had no intention of drafting him in the 1st. The Steelers are very well informed in the OS program and they knew that marijuana was in Adams history. They may feel Adams drops to the 2nd. Perhaps Adams & Massie are targets in the 2nd if an OT doesn't fall in the 1st. The risk/reward on Adams in the 2nd could be argued but if he is on their board I'm sure they are confident if they make the pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    So, basically, what I'm saying is that I think if he played left tackle as a rookie, he'd be an average NFL left tackle with the potential to become a good left tackle in the future.
    Average would be par for this OL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am sick and tired of drafting OL and playing them out of position. If you want/need a guard then draft a fing guard. Not a tackle and put him at guard. DRAFT A GUARD TO PLAY ONLY GUARD!
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    I am sick and tired of drafting OL and playing them out of position. If you want/need a guard then draft a fing guard. Not a tackle and put him at guard. DRAFT A GUARD TO PLAY ONLY GUARD!
    His name is Kevin Zeitler and I think drafting him to play Guard is exactly what we should do. All this nonsense about #24 is 10-15 picks too early is well....nonsense. These ranking number are nothing but opinions. Look at what he can do for the team and ignore the numbers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    His name is Kevin Zeitler and I think drafting him to play Guard is exactly what we should do. All this nonsense about #24 is 10-15 picks too early is well....nonsense. These ranking number are nothing but opinions. Look at what he can do for the team and ignore the numbers.
    So why cant you trade back 10-15 spots, draft him where he should go, and pick up another 3rd round pick?

Seems like common sense to me.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash